The History Book Club discussion

MILITARY - IRAQ/AFGHANISTAN > WAR IN AFGHANISTAN

Comments (showing 351-400 of 465) (465 new)    post a comment »

message 351: by André, Honorary Contributor - EMERITUS - Music (last edited Jan 15, 2012 01:01PM) (new)

André (AndrH) | 2713 comments Mod
'Aussie Rick' wrote: "did you watch that documentary Andre?..."

Yes I did. SOme interesting interviews and statements, also the maps help visualize the area and the problems the different units were facing. I watched it before I read the book, which I think was the right thing to do.
Operation Anaconda America's First Major Battle in Afghanistan (Modern War Studies) by Lester W. GrauOperation Anaconda: America's First Major Battle in Afghanistan by Lester W. Grau

The book's authors should be both Lester W. Grau and Dodge Billingsley who did the documentary

message 352: by 'Aussie Rick' (new)

'Aussie Rick' (AussieRick) I found the DVD good to visualise the terrain mentioned in the book, maps are OK but sometimes they do not really impart the difficulties that terrain impacts on operations.

message 353: by MilitaryReview (new)

MilitaryReview | 2 comments I've read the suggestions above about the early days of the war such as Horse Soldiers and Jawbreaker. Another insightful book is First In by Gary Schroen about the first Special Forces team into the Bagrahm and Kabul areas but like stated above, they are very hubristic and not written by real 'Operators' like the ones from Andy McNabb. Even though his 'fiction' books are based on actual events, you can tell it was a true story by a true Operator. I just finished The Deguello by Scott Zastrow about the first Special Forces team covered in the books above, he was the medic on that first team. Much like the McNabb books, you can tell it was written from a true Operator and is hands down the best book I've read so far on what it was really like early on before the regular Army showed up. I think he self-published in on Lulu but I got mine on Kindle. I like to mix a real story in against the 'writers' stories every once in a while for balance. I remeber trying to find the obscure Vietnam soldier written books and always liked them better than the embeds anyway. Sometimes 'Joe' just tells a better story. Someone else pick that one up and let me know if you liked it as much as I did.

message 354: by André, Honorary Contributor - EMERITUS - Music (last edited Jan 16, 2012 01:48AM) (new)

MilitaryReview wrote: "I've read the suggestions above about the early days of the war..."

Hi MR,

thanks for the post - but please bear in mind that the book citations need to have the book cover (title if you want - not necessary) and the Author's portrait (when available) and author's link.

Since we both like Andy McNab, both for his fiction and non-fiction writings, here is the way to do it:

Crossfire (Nick Stone, #10) by Andy McNabCrossfire by Andy McNabAndy McNab

(I added this one since a large part takes place in Afghanistan and you can tell Andy sure as @#$% knows what he's talking about)

message 355: by André, Honorary Contributor - EMERITUS - Music (new)

'Aussie Rick' wrote: "I found the DVD good to visualise the terrain mentioned in the book, maps are OK but sometimes they do not really impart the difficulties that terrain impacts on operations."

True - that's why I liked the three dimensional ones from the DVD. Together with the statements it gave me enough detail to imagine the difficulties and hardships the men were facing.

message 356: by André, Honorary Contributor - EMERITUS - Music (new)

A very fine article in today's NY Times on US Air War in the region:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/16/wor...

by C.J. Chivers with terrific photography by Tyler Hicks

message 357: by 'Aussie Rick' (last edited Feb 11, 2012 03:08PM) (new)

'Aussie Rick' (AussieRick) I have just found this book recently in case it interest other readers here:

No Worse Enemy The Inside Story of the Chaotic Struggle for Afghanistan by Ben Anderson by Ben Anderson
Description:
The war in Afghanistan is over ten years old. It has cost countless lives and hundreds of billions of pounds. Politicians talk of progress, but the violence is worse than ever. In this powerful and shocking exposé from the front lines in Helmand province, leading journalist and documentary-maker Ben Anderson (HBO, Panorama, and Dispatches) shows just how bad it has got. Detailing battles that last for days, only to be fought again weeks later, Anderson survives IED explosions and sniper fire, and witnesses the disturbing incompetence among the Afghan army and police. Also revealing the daily struggle to win over the long-suffering local population, who often express open support for the Taliban, No Worse Enemy is a heartbreaking insight into the daily struggles facing our troops. Raising urgent questions about our recent and current strategies in Afghanistan, Anderson highlights the vast gulf that exists between what we are told and what is actually happening on the ground. A product of five years' unrivalled access to UK forces and US Marines, often for months at a time and amidst the worst violence the conflict has seen, this is the most intimate and horrifying account of the Afghan war you will read.

message 358: by Michael (new)

Michael Flanagan (Loboz) Here is a link to a short doco on fighting in the Afghan mountains.

http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/p...

message 359: by André, Honorary Contributor - EMERITUS - Music (new)

A fine article with video on the difficulties both the British and the US are facing trying to get locals to volunteer and/or train to provide security.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/a...

message 360: by 'Aussie Rick' (new)

'Aussie Rick' (AussieRick) Here is a new book that may interest other readers:

Wearing The Green Beret A Canadian With The Royal Marine Commandos by Jake Olafsen by Jake Olafsen
Description:
With the authenticity of Jarhead and Bravo Two Zero and the straight-up narrative of Contact Charlie, this military memoir describes what really goes on in the training of an elite soldier and his tours in Afghanistan.

In 2004, Jake Olafsen signed up for the Royal Marines Commandos. He left everything behind at home in Canada on the basis of a spur-of-the-moment decision. The Royal Marines have the toughest and longest basic training of any infantry unit in the world. For Olafson, this meant eight months of wet and cold in England and Wales. It was hell, but he came out with the four Commando qualities that the corps look for: courage, determination, unselfishness, cheerfulness in the face of adversity.

Olafsen went on to serve for four years as a Commando in the Royal Marines, an elite military unit based in the United Kingdom. He went to Afghanistan twice: in 2006, he went to confront the Taliban in Helmand Province for six months, and in 2007, he was sent to do it all over again. His story is filled with good experiences, like the sense of accomplishment, patriotism, and camaraderie, and the opportunity to travel the world. But all good things come at a price. The sacrifices he made for the Corps are significant; he has killed the enemy and he has buried his friends. And in telling his story, Olafsen hopes that he can make sense of it all. This is an honest, gutsy story about the mud and the blood, the triumphs and the tragedies.

message 361: by André, Honorary Contributor - EMERITUS - Music (new)

Hi Rick,

The description sounds fine, and there is no doubt Jake Olafsen's experiences need to be told - but have you checked the writing?

Wearing The Green Beret A Canadian With The Royal Marine Commandos by Jake OlafsenWearing The Green Beret: A Canadian With The Royal Marine Commandos by Jake Olafsen

message 362: by 'Aussie Rick' (new)

'Aussie Rick' (AussieRick) Hi Andre, not yet, still looking for a copy locally which maybe impossible.

message 363: by André, Honorary Contributor - EMERITUS - Music (last edited Feb 26, 2012 12:09PM) (new)

'Aussie Rick' wrote: "Hi Andre, not yet..."

Maybe check the web first...

Wearing The Green Beret A Canadian With The Royal Marine Commandos by Jake OlafsenWearing The Green Beret: A Canadian With The Royal Marine Commandos by Jake Olafsen

message 364: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (drokka) I have just started reading this book. It won't win any literary awards for prose sure, but it is written as though he's 'speaking' the story, which gives it an unexpected rawness. Also, as happens with many expats, he uses local expressions common either in Canada or in the UK, sometimes fusing them, which gives the text a slightly bumpier ride than usual.

Wearing The Green Beret A Canadian With The Royal Marine Commandos by Jake Olafsenby Jake Olafsen (no author photo)

message 365: by Bryan, Honorary Contributor - EMERITUS (new)

Bryan Craig | 11685 comments Mod
Thanks, D, sounds good.

message 366: by André, Honorary Contributor - EMERITUS - Music (new)

D wrote: "It won't win any literary awards for prose sure, but it is written as though he's 'speaking' the story..."

Thanks, D, I had the same impression from the tidbits I was able to read on the net. Too bumpy for me...

Wearing The Green Beret A Canadian With The Royal Marine Commandos by Jake OlafsenWearing The Green Beret: A Canadian With The Royal Marine CommandosJake Olafsen

message 367: by David (new)

David Morris | 3 comments Although Most if you have already read it, Sebastian Jungers " War," Has a great view Of what the ordinary soldier sees, feels and thinks during his deployment to forward operating bases in the rugged and. brutal korengal valley. the national geographic channel aired their version of Jungers book in a great documentary titled, "restrepo." in my view, the book was much more illustrative than the natgeo documentary, but both are great.

message 368: by Bryan, Honorary Contributor - EMERITUS (new)

Thanks David, don't forget to add the citation:

War by Sebastian Junger Sebastian JungerSebastian Junger

message 369: by André, Honorary Contributor - EMERITUS - Music (last edited Mar 11, 2012 12:53AM) (new)

Our War, the terrific BBC series with most footage filmed by the soldiers themselves is out on DVD.
It has three episodes but not the extra footage from the BBC website.

Some info: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01175hg

message 370: by 'Aussie Rick' (new)

'Aussie Rick' (AussieRick) Thanks for the link Andre, I hope the series comes to Australia soon as it looks pretty good.

message 371: by André, Honorary Contributor - EMERITUS - Music (new)

'Aussie Rick' wrote: "Thanks for the link Andre, I hope the series comes to Australia soon as it looks pretty good."

It is because it really lets the soldiers speak without any journalist getting in between.

message 372: by André, Honorary Contributor - EMERITUS - Music (new)

Rick, I'm just reading this one:

Outlaw Platoon Heroes, Renegades, Infidels, and the Brotherhood of War in Afghanistan by Sean ParnellOutlaw Platoon: Heroes, Renegades, Infidels, and the Brotherhood of War in Afghanistan by Sean Parnell

It's fantastic. Terrific writing, great insight and never losing the down to earth touch. Highest recommendation!

message 373: by 'Aussie Rick' (new)

'Aussie Rick' (AussieRick) That's good to know as I have a copy sitting right beside me, just got to get through a few other books first but I will move it up to the top of my pile!

message 374: by Michael (new)

Michael Flanagan (Loboz) Just finished reading Signature Wound Hidden Bombs, Heroic Soldiers, and the Shocking, Secret Story of the Afghanistan War  by Bob DrurybyBob Drury well worth the read.

message 375: by André, Honorary Contributor - EMERITUS - Music (new)

Jerome wrote: "...the 2001 portion of the Afghan war was unique because of its novel and innovative approach: small teams of CIA paramilitary officers and special operations forces working in tandem..."

Hi Jerome, why don't you put the ones you think best on here as a list, book cover, author photograph (when available) and author link so everyone can see them - without having to use a link taking us away from the discussion.
It would be very helpful.
Thanks.

message 376: by Michael (last edited Mar 21, 2012 03:50PM) (new)

Michael Flanagan (Loboz) Just started reading No Way Out A Story of Valor in the Mountains of Afghanistan by Mitch Weiss by Mitch Weiss

message 377: by André, Honorary Contributor - EMERITUS - Music (new)

There is a great article and video "Call Me Eshaan" about Lt. Col. Loftis who was killed this February apparently as a "retaliation" for the burning of the Korans:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/24/opi...

message 378: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Bentley | 35741 comments Mod
Yes, I saw that. Sad.

message 379: by 'Aussie Rick' (new)

'Aussie Rick' (AussieRick) I have just started reading Ben Anderson's account of the war in Afghanistan; "No Worse Enemy".

No Worse Enemy The Inside Story of the Chaotic Struggle for Afghanistan by Ben Anderson by Ben Anderson

message 380: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

And how is it?

message 381: by 'Aussie Rick' (last edited Apr 21, 2012 10:37PM) (new)

'Aussie Rick' (AussieRick) So far so good, the author has offered this comparison to try and understand the difficulties the British forces had in implementing their policy of an 'Afghan Development Zone' in Helmand province.

"To begin to understand how hard it was for the British to attempt to carry out this policy, imagine an Indian dropped into Chicago, or a Brazilian dropped into Islamabad. Imagine asking them, without speaking the language or having any idea who to trust, to create, staff and monitor an entirely new system of government. What's more, imagine asking them to do this within six months, while fighting a war and after having killed several hundred civilians by mistake."

message 382: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Interesting

message 383: by 'Aussie Rick' (new)

'Aussie Rick' (AussieRick) I'm enjoying my current book on the war in Afghanistan and I'm about half way through it. I had a slight scare when I was reading the chapters dealing with Operation Mushtaraq that took place in 2010 and involved the USMC.

I was thinking to myself that I've read this already, it was so familiar and I figured I'd already read the book (not impossible I've bought the same book twice when the US & UK editions have different covers and different titles - I wish they wouldn't do that).

But then I remembered that the author mentioned he had recorded everything on video and audio tape and I clicked that I have actually seen a documentary on TV recently that the author must have filmed as everything was exactly as I recall in the TV documentary as I am reading in the book .

I can't recall the name of the TV documentary though but I remember it was pretty well done.

message 384: by Bea (new)

Bea | 1834 comments Eh, eh, eh Rick! Where's that citation? Are you talking about the following?

No Worse Enemy The Inside Story of the Chaotic Struggle for Afghanistan by Ben Anderson by Ben Anderson(no photo)

message 385: by 'Aussie Rick' (new)

'Aussie Rick' (AussieRick) That's the one, thanks for picking that up Bea.

message 386: by Jerome (new)

Jerome | 3891 comments Most of the following books only cover the early 2001 portion of the war in Afghanistan. This was mainly fought by small teams of CIA paramilitary officers and Special Operations Forces assisted by American air power and local warlord-type militia/guerrilla forces.

Weapon of Choice U.S. Army Special Operations Forces in Afghanistan by Charles H. Briscoe by Charles H. Briscoe

A Different Kind of War The United States Army in Operation ENDURING FREEDOM, October 2001 - September 2005  by Donald P. Wright by Donald P. Wright. You can get this as a free PDF online.

Tora Bora Revisited How We Failed to Get Bin Laden and Why It Matters Today (Decisive Battles of the 21st Century) by (United States) Congress Senate by U.S. U.S. Senate.You can get this as a free PDF online.

Operation Enduring Freedom October 2001-March 2002 (CMH Pub) by Center of Military History by the Center of Military History.You can get this as a free PDF online.

Enduring the Freedom A Rogue Historian in Afghanistan by Sean M. Maloney by Sean M. Maloney

Known and Unknown A Memoir by Donald Rumsfeld by Donald Rumsfeld

The Only Thing Worth Dying For How Eleven Green Berets Forged a New Afghanistan by Eric Blehm by Eric Blehm

Air Power Against Terror America's Conduct of Operation Enduring Freedom by Benjamin S. Lambeth by Benjamin S. Lambeth.You can get this as a free PDF online.

The Mission, The Men, and Me Lessons from a Former Delta Force Commander by Pete Blaber by Pete Blaber

Jawbreaker The Attack on Bin Laden and Al-Qaeda A Personal Account by the CIA's Key Field Commander by Gary Berntsen by Gary Berntsen

Kill Bin Laden A Delta Force Commander's Account of the Hunt for the World's Most Wanted Man by Dalton Fury by Dalton Fury

Horse Soldiers The Extraordinary Story of a Band of US Soldiers Who Rode to Victory in Afghanistan  by Doug Stanton by Doug Stanton

First In An Insider's Account of How the CIA Spearheaded the War on Terror in Afghanistan by Gary Schroen by Gary Schroen

Killer Elite The Inside Story of America's Most Secret Special Operations Team by Michael Smith by Michael Smith

Descent into Chaos The United States & the Failure of Nation Building in Pakistan, Afghanistan & Central Asia by Ahmed Rashid by Ahmed Rashid

War and Decision Inside the Pentagon at the Dawn of the War on Terrorism by Douglas J. Feith by Douglas J. Feith

Against All Enemies by Richard A. Clarke by Richard A. Clarke

American Soldier by Tommy Franks by Tommy Franks

In the Graveyard of Empires America's War in Afghanistan by Seth G. Jones by Seth G. Jones

At the Center of the Storm by George Tenet by George Tenet

Hunting the Jackal A Special Forces and CIA Ground Soldier's Fifty-Year Career Hunting America's Enemies by Billy Waugh by Billy Waugh

Transforming U.S. Intelligence by Jennifer E. Sims by Jennifer E. Sims

The Longest War A History of the War on Terror and the Battles with Al Qaeda Since 9/11 by Peter L. Bergen by Peter L. Bergen

Also good might be The Degüello by Scott A. Zastrow by Scott A. Zastrow. I haven't read that one yet, though.

message 387: by Bryan, Honorary Contributor - EMERITUS (new)

Great, Jerome, thanks so much. Good stuff.

message 388: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Apr 24, 2012 02:09PM) (new)

Hello Jerome - all I can say is Wow and a giant THANK YOU.

But first let me help you with the format of the citations which you did a pretty good job with. And I do not want to discourage you from adding many more books but I do want to help you some.

The following books had all three necessary segments available: book cover, author's photo and the author's link. You only added two of the three necessary segments in your post for the following books. Always look to see if there is a photo or image available and add that in between the book cover and the author's link which is last - giving you all three parts.

Here are the examples of the books that you listed above which also had author's photos available.

Known and Unknown A Memoir by Donald Rumsfeld by Donald RumsfeldDonald Rumsfeld

The Only Thing Worth Dying For How Eleven Green Berets Forged a New Afghanistan by Eric Blehm by Eric BlehmEric Blehm

Against All Enemies by Richard A. Clarke by Richard A. ClarkeRichard A. Clarke

At the Center of the Storm My Years at the CIA by George Tenetby George TenetGeorge Tenet

The Longest War A History of the War on Terror and the Battles with Al Qaeda Since 9/11 by Peter L. Bergen by Peter L. BergenPeter L. Bergen

Now for the all of the others which were all done correctly, this is what I normally do when adding a citation where there is no photo available.
I just simply say in parens - no photo.

I will use one of your examples.

In the Graveyard of Empires America's War in Afghanistan by Seth G. Jones by Seth G. Jones (no photo)

message 389: by 'Aussie Rick' (new)

'Aussie Rick' (AussieRick) Some good books there Jerome!

Here is another new release to add to the list:

The Killing Zone  by Richard Dorney by Richard Dorney
Description:
On a tour of duty in the Helmand River Valley, the Grenadier Guards faced the toughest challenge of their lives...Carrying out patrols in the most fiercely contested land in Afghanistan the Guards were under fire almost constantly. The summer of 2007 saw some of the most frequent and intense combat yet, beyond what anyone could have predicted. Based in isolated forward operating bases their nearest reinforcements were often miles away, down a track strewn with deadly roadside bombs. "The Killing Zone" is an action-packed and authentic insight into the real Afghanistan. This is what it's like to deliberately draw fire on your own position so that your mates can escape an ambush, to experience the adrenaline rush of being the first in to clear a Taliban compound, and to rely on skill, loyalty and quick-thinking to survive in one of the most dangerous places on earth.

message 390: by Bryan, Honorary Contributor - EMERITUS (new)

Here is a new book:

Manhunt The Ten-Year Search for Bin Laden--from 9/11 to Abbottabad by Peter L. Bergen Peter L. BergenPeter L. Bergen

Info:
It was only a week before 9/11 that Peter Bergen turned in the manuscript of Holy War, Inc., the story of Osama bin Laden--whom Bergen had once interviewed in a mud hut in Afghanistan--and his declaration of war on America. The book became a New York Times bestseller and the essential portrait of the most formidable terrorist enterprise of our time. Now, in Manhunt, Bergen picks up the thread with this taut yet panoramic account of the pursuit and killing of bin Laden.

Here are riveting new details of bin Laden’s flight after the crushing defeat of the Taliban to Tora Bora, where American forces came startlingly close to capturing him, and of the fugitive leader’s attempts to find a secure hiding place. As the only journalist to gain access to bin Laden’s Abbottabad compound before the Pakistani government demolished it, Bergen paints a vivid picture of bin Laden’s grim, Spartan life in hiding and his struggle to maintain control of al-Qaeda even as American drones systematically picked off his key lieutenants.

Half a world away, CIA analysts haunted by the intelligence failures that led to 9/11 and the WMD fiasco pored over the tiniest of clues before homing in on the man they called "the Kuwaiti"--who led them to a peculiar building with twelve-foot-high walls and security cameras less than a mile from a Pakistani military academy. This was the courier who would unwittingly steer them to bin Laden, now a prisoner of his own making but still plotting to devastate the United States.

Bergen takes us inside the Situation Room, where President Obama considers the COAs (courses of action) presented by his war council and receives conflicting advice from his top advisors before deciding to risk the raid that would change history--and then inside the Joint Special Operations Command, whose "secret warriors," the SEALs, would execute Operation Neptune Spear. From the moment two Black Hawks take off from Afghanistan until bin Laden utters his last words, Manhunt reads like a thriller.

Based on exhaustive research and unprecedented access to White House officials, CIA analysts, Pakistani intelligence, and the military, this is the definitive account of ten years in pursuit of bin Laden and of the twilight of al-Qaeda.

message 391: by Jerome (new)

Jerome | 3891 comments Here's a new book out:
The Art of Intelligence by Henry A. Crumpton Henry A. Crumpton

If you guys have read books like

Jawbreaker The Attack on Bin Laden and Al-Qaeda A Personal Account by the CIA's Key Field Commander by Gary Berntsen by Gary Berntsen

First In An Insider's Account of How the CIA Spearheaded the War on Terror in Afghanistan by Gary Schroen by Gary Schroen

The Longest War A History of the War on Terror and the Battles with Al Qaeda Since 9/11 by Peter L. Bergen by Peter L. Bergen

then I'm sure you guys know that Hank Crumpton headed the CIA Counterterrorist Center's hastily formed "Special Operations Group" during the initial phase of the war in Afghanistan. Crumpton also headed the CIA investigation team during the 2000 al-Qaeda bombing of the USS Cole.

Anyway, I've been waiting for Crumpton to write a memoir and am intensely interested in what he has to reveal.

message 392: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited May 24, 2012 10:34PM) (new)

Hello Jerome, we appreciate all of your wonderful adds, they are terrific. If you check message 388, you will see that I showed you how our requirements for citations should look. I can see that you have put in the paragraph html and things are more horizontal but the one thing you keep missing is the author's photos which are a requirement. If you can edit message 391, I will delete this message.

The citation rules are not optional and we appreciate that you almost have it right for some and spot on for others.

First, the Art of Intelligence has all three segments available: (you did a great job with the book cover and the author's link - but the author's photo was also available and when available it must be added) -

The Art of Intelligence by Henry A. Crumpton by Henry A. CrumptonHenry A. Crumpton

The second book is fine since there is no author's photo available and you have all of the other parts. And the third book is fine too.

The final book is missing an available author's photo:

We love the books but we have to be consistent with all group members and the citations of course are not optional. You have done a terrific job so far but if you need some additional guidance - please ask one of the assisting moderators or myself and we will gladly give it to you. If you edit the posts where we point out citation issues and fix the errors we will delete the instructional post.

The Longest War A History of the War on Terror and the Battles with Al Qaeda Since 9/11 by Peter L. Bergen by Peter L. BergenPeter L. Bergen

Attached is Hank Crumpton: Life as a Spy: (60 minutes)

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?i...

message 393: by André, Honorary Contributor - EMERITUS - Music (new)

Well, Jerome, I don't know about you but since lately all kinds of people have come out with "the definite story of how things happened" I've become skeptical about writers like Bergen and other journalists in his range.

NO matter how embedded - some seem to be quite proud of the fact that they were - no journalist will ever be allowed to touch on the entire story simply because a lot of facts need to stay behind closed doors.
Also they might have been there - but where actually, and for how long?

That's why I'll always prefer a book, which leaves out the chest beating I'm-the-one-who-knows-all-the-facts and prefer the books that simply tell what happened to the writer (who actually took part in certain operations) acknowledging the simple truth of life that certain parts have to be left out.

Peter L. BergenPeter L. Bergen

vs.
Henry A. CrumptonHenry A. Crumpton
Andy McNabAndy McNab

message 394: by Jerome (new)

Jerome | 3891 comments Bentley wrote: "Hello Jerome, we appreciate all of your wonderful adds, they are terrific. If you check message 388, you will see that I showed you how our requirements for citations should look. I can see tha..."

Whoops. Messed up...again. Thanks Bentley, appreciate it.

message 395: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

You are welcome Jerome: it might be good practice for you to go to your post - message 391 and just edit the two books that have the author's photo and add them like I showed you. Then I can delete message 392 like it never happened (smile). That way you get some practice in for the next time you post.

message 396: by Nicole (new)

Nicole This book was released yesterday.

Little America: The War Within the War for Afghanistan

Little America The War Within the War for Afghanistan by Rajiv ChandrasekaranbyRajiv Chandrasekaran(no photo)

Synopsis
From the award-winning author of Imperial Life in the Emerald City, a riveting, intimate account of America’s troubled war in Afghanistan.

When President Barack Obama ordered the surge of troops and aid to Afghanistan, Washington Post correspondent Rajiv Chandrasekaran followed. He found the effort sabotaged not only by Afghan and Pakistani malfeasance but by infighting and incompetence within the American government: a war cabinet arrested by vicious bickering among top national security aides; diplomats and aid workers who failed to deliver on their grand promises; generals who dispatched troops to the wrong places; and headstrong military leaders who sought a far more expansive campaign than the White House wanted. Through their bungling and quarreling, they wound up squandering the first year of the surge.

Chandrasekaran explains how the United States has never understood Afghanistan—and probably never will. During the Cold War, American engineers undertook a massive development project across southern Afghanistan in an attempt to woo the country from Soviet influence. They built dams and irrigation canals, and they established a comfortable residential community known as Little America, with a Western-style school, a coed community pool, and a plush clubhouse—all of which embodied American and Afghan hopes for a bright future and a close relationship. But in the late 1970s—after growing Afghan resistance and a Communist coup—the Americans abandoned the region to warlords and poppy farmers.

In one revelatory scene after another, Chandrasekaran follows American efforts to reclaim the very same territory from the Taliban. Along the way, we meet an Army general whose experience as the top military officer in charge of Iraq’s Green Zone couldn’t prepare him for the bureaucratic knots of Afghanistan, a Marine commander whose desire to charge into remote hamlets conflicted with civilian priorities, and a war-seasoned diplomat frustrated in his push for a scaled-down but long-term American commitment. Their struggles show how Obama’s hope of a good war, and the Pentagon’s desire for a resounding victory, shriveled on the arid plains of southern Afghanistan.

Meticulously reported, hugely revealing, Little America is an unprecedented examination of a failing war—and an eye-opening look at the complex relationship between America and Afghanistan.

message 397: by André, Honorary Contributor - EMERITUS - Music (new)

For One Widow, Moving On Is A Marathon...

A fine in-depth article in the Washington Post with videos and photographs about the daily life of one of the many war widows. Moving on while trying to keep up the memory....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/n...

message 398: by Jerome (new)

Jerome | 3891 comments Just discovered this:

An Unwinnable War Australia in Afghanistan by Karen Middleton by Karen Middleton (no photo).

message 399: by Mark (new)

Mark Mortensen Anthony wrote: This (“Chutes, beer & Bullets: Not Your Grandpa’s War Story”) is a good look at the thoughts of a paratrooper before and during being deployed to Afghanistan. A very unedited view into the life of a paratrooper.

Chutes, Beer, & Bullets Not Your Grandpa's War Story by Jesse C Holder by Jesse C Holder

message 400: by Anthony (new)

Anthony | 3 comments Thanks Mark. Please take a look at this book.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Danger Close: Commanding 3 Para In Afghanistan (other topics)
Danger Close: Tactical Air Controllers in Afghanistan and Iraq (other topics)
The Junior Officers' Reading Club: Killing Time And Fighting Wars (other topics)
Apache: Inside the Cockpit of the Worlda's Most Deadly Fighting Machine (other topics)
Hellfire (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Steve Call (other topics)
Ed Macy (other topics)
Stuart Tootal (other topics)
Patrick Hennessey (other topics)
Gordon M. Goldstein (other topics)
More...