Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > Sub-shelves?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:54AM) (new)

Anna | 28 comments I'd love to (if it is possible at all) to have some kind of sub-shelving system. Example:
Main shelf: -History
Subshelves: -Vikings
-Medieval
-WW2

Would that be technically possible?

Thank you!

message 2: by rivka, librarian moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:54AM) (new)

rivka | 12269 comments Mod
If it's not, you could try making these shelves instead:
History-Vikings
History-Medieval
History-WW2

message 3: by Anna (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:54AM) (new)

Anna | 28 comments see - this is why I will never be a great inventor. :-)

A very pedagogic and easy solution - thank you very much!

/Anna

message 4: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Many people want sub-shelves! Nested shelves!

message 5: by Meghan (new)

Meghan (meghankrogh) As mentioned here, I'm definitely reiterating the interest in this feature. I'd like to use it too!

message 6: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 3399 comments Well here's another +1 from a loyal member. ;)

Elizabeth (Alaska) While you're at it, Meghan, take a look at this thread.

message 8: by Aislinn (new)

Aislinn | 122 comments I love that idea! +1

message 9: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (Kristine_A) | 142 comments this is #1 on my want list!!! pleasepleaseplease

message 10: by Penny (new)

Penny (PennyNM) | 12 comments Me, too ... and the potential advantage to real sub-shelves would be the ability to hide the 'sub' unless wanted, thereby keeping the displayed shelves limited and viewable on one page.

message 11: by laurenpie (new)

laurenpie | 25 comments Another advantage to sub-shelves is that longer descriptions wouldn't appear in illegibly-small font due to being resized to the available space--my sub-shelf description would now have two lines to work with.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (ErinPaperbackstash) | 2069 comments laurenpie wrote: "Another advantage to sub-shelves is that longer descriptions wouldn't appear in illegibly-small font due to being resized to the available space--my sub-shelf description would now have two lines t..."

Good point! I hate the shrinking text effect

message 13: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl ᵂʰᵃᵗ﹖ ᴵ ᶜᵃᶰ'ᵗ ʰᵉᵃʳ ʸᵒᵘ⋅

message 14: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (Dzerzhinsky) Sub-shelves are the obvious and elegant answer to the increasing complex tangle of book organization problems mounting on GR. Instead of all these elaborate perambulations we must always resort to..so many boondoggles would be resolved by this simple expedient. I expect it would require some massive programming change though, so I don't anticipate it anytime soon. If ever.