House of Leaves House of Leaves discussion

...how patient am i?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Greenicicle Read Infinite Jest and 2666, and find out.

Marc Nash Haven't read DFW, but HoL is 2666 times better than well 2666

Mark Johnson Patient enough. And if you aren't, you will learn.

K. L. Skip pages of useless lists. Tune out the awkward visual effects and film jargon. Read one page direction at a time, then go back and read the other way(s). Read the story of the footnotes separately than that of the film. Ignore most other footnotes of citation. Put it down for a few days (or more).
It will be painful and merciless... and in the end, if you make it there, you'll cry it's over (love or hate impossible to predict, but definite tears.)

Marc Nash I think the citations are endlessly fascinating. Are the titles real or not? An tutor from my old college turned up in them, I couldn't figure out whether the title ascribed to him was real or not!

Becky Shepherd All the effort is SO SO worth it. One of the best books I've read.

message 7: by Ray (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ray Campbell Very cool book, but exhausting. I thought it was like reading three books at once with weird coded messages (the lists, cross outs and backwards text...). It took me months, a few pages a night. In the end, I loved it. I agree with Becky, SO SO worth it.

Kristin I just remember this book being a spooky interesting read. I sat down and read like I would with any other book. I don't remember struggling through it or skipping anything. I can understand how it might not be for everyone but I enjoyed it.

Steve It is a hell of a lot more fun to read than Only Revolutions.

message 10: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Read it all, cover to cover. Its beautiful and haunting. Have a good translating tool handy.

message 11: by Marc (new) - rated it 4 stars

Marc Nash It is beautiful and even as a writer myself, I couldn't begin to see how the author conceptualised it at every stage and that is a great plus for it. But haunting? Not for me. It was maybe a bit too concpetual to fully engage the emotions.

Casey Oh my goodness, I can't even describe this book, but it needs to be read. It has kind of made me fear infinity a little bit, though.

message 13: by Marc (new) - rated it 4 stars

Marc Nash Casey wrote: "Oh my goodness, I can't even describe this book, but it needs to be read. It has kind of made me fear infinity a little bit, though."

fear it how in an everyday sense?