South Jersey Book Club discussion

Where in South Jersey?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by shruti (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:53AM) (new)

shruti (inothernews) I'm on LBI as a year-round resident. Any other Jersey Shore folks? I am finding it hard to focus on non-fluffy books when I sit on the beach, I'm not sure why that is. As a result, I am tearing through chick-lit this summer but plodding through my heavier tomes.

So besides locations, any suggestions for something not totally fluffy but something I can concentrate on? I'm thinking Jane Austen...

message 2: by Maria (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:01PM) (new)

Maria | 1 comments Have you tried the Pride & Prejudice sequals? Elizabeth Aston wrote a few. They are supposedly written in the Jane Austen style. The first one is Mr. Darcy's Daughters.

I've just been trying to clear off some of my shelves this summer before chaos returns in the fall. We hang in North Wildwood for the summer but we live in Deptford.

message 3: by shruti (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:08PM) (new)

shruti (inothernews) I'm not sure how I feel about those sequels, I heard they were terrible, but it might be worth a fluffy beach read!

message 4: by Joeji (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:27PM) (new)

Joeji | 3 comments In terms of Vic Lit, check out the poems by Stephen Dunn - I posted the book on this site. Lots of 19th century authors.

Try Wilkie Collin's "The Moonstone." Same era as Austen, very funny, and mystery. A page-turning British 19th century classic.

I hail from Tabernacle in the Pine Barrens. So I frequent LBI. I have been to LBI in the winter, and I don't know how people stay there year round. Must be wonderful in it's own way, I suspect (I mean that sincerely).

message 5: by Michael (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:31PM) (new)

Michael | 1 comments We love going over to the island in the off season. We can take the dog off the leash and he has a blast. Scojo's is open year round and that's a great place to go if the weather is off to have breaksfast and read a book. We bring a picnic basket with a bottle of wine because you can do that in the off season and take turns reading to eachother so that one of us can keep an eye on the kids and the dog. It's perfect there. There is no place like the island in the fall. I'm in Barnegat by the way.

message 6: by Anne (new)

Anne (httpannespollenblogspotcom) | 2 comments South Jersey people! I didn't think I would find this here. My name is Anne, I write and live in
Tuckerton. Or Little Egg Harbor. Or West Tuckerton. We moved here not that long ago and our mail comes to all three of those addresses, and every once in a while we get: OCEAN, NJ.
I go to LBI a few times a week, usually to Ship
Bottom.

message 7: by Corina (new)

Corina (scrapcat0220) | 3 comments hey!! I'm pretty new here myself - I'm from Forked River. Or Lacey. haha! :D

message 8: by Kristin (new)

Kristin (kristinbattestella) | 5 comments I'm originally from Vineland and now that I'm married we've moved up to Mount Laurel. We've got a great book vibe down here, but gorups never seem to get off the ground, and I've found the few organizations that are here are very,well, clickish. Go fig.

message 9: by Donitello (new)

Donitello | 5 comments Hey there....

I'm from San Francisco, now living in Somers Point. It's so pretty! And quiet. Pretty quiet, I guess is what I'm saying.... The book discussion groups are very friendly, which is nice. I do find myself a bit under-stimulated cuisinewise. Any tips for interesting places to eat between, say, Ocean City and Atlantic City?

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Wading River. My zip-code is 08215 ( which is Egg Harbor City ) but I live more towards New Gretna/ Tuckerton

message 11: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 1 comments Hey all!! I'm in the cherry hill area! They just put in a new Barnes and Noble near me and it is gigantic! love it!

message 12: by Madeleine (new)

Madeleine (titular_line) I spent my childhood in Marlton, am living in Maple Shade and work in Collingswood. Hello, fellow SJers!

message 13: by J. (new)

J. Rubino (jrubino) I am half of the authorship of an Austen-related work "Lady Vernon and Her Daughter" (the other half is my daughter). I'm in Ocean City, and I think the libraries around here (Ocean City and Cape May Court House) host reading groups that meet once a week or once a month. If you want to start one, you can check with libraries - they may have a meeting room - or a Borders, or even a community college.
janetility.com