Cozy Mystery Corner discussion

Archive > Mothers in Cozies: Endearing or Annoying?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Ramla Zareen Ahmad | 176 comments In many of the cozy mystery series that I have read, the relationship between the protagonist and her mother has been prominently featured. 

In some cases, the close bond between the protagonist and her mother is heart warming ...while in others, the protagonist's mother's dominating and interfering personality can be extremely exasperating...!

Anyway, I thought that it might be interesting to discuss this further and to share our thoughts on the various 'mother-daughter(protagonist)' relationships in cozies.

message 2: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Ramla Zareen Ahmad | 176 comments When I started reading "The Diva Runs Out Of Thyme" The Diva Runs Out of Thyme (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #1) by Krista Davis, I didn't think the series would make it to my favourite list ...since I was a bit put off by the fact that the protagonist's mother seemed to be more positive towards her daughter's rival than her own daughter. 

However, by the time I finished the third book in the series "The Diva Paints The Town"  The Diva Paints the Town (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #3) by Krista Davis ...Krista Davis was added in my favourite cozy authors list ...mainly because the other factors like the quality writing, entertaining humour, satisfying mysteries, appealing protagonist, pleasant ambience etc ...made it much easier for me to ignore this aspect ...and also because the 'mother' somewhat improved as the series progressed.

message 3: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Todd OMGosh...I only have one thing to say...D-E-L-O-R-E-S! The mother of Hannah Swensen. She's so annoying! But then again, so is the whole storyline. I have heard that Ms. Fluke finally has made up her mind about who Hannah should be with. I can wait to find out since I have to catch up on 2 more additions before she makes her reveal. ***Sorry to get off track, but I needed to vent***
I agree with you Ramla regarding the "Diva's" mother. I just figure she's all for the ex-husband regardless.

message 4: by ❂ Jennifer (new)

❂ Jennifer  (jennevans) There are two mother-daughter tropes that lose me: the domineering, nasty, judgemental mother and the mother-knows-best mom.

Both of these irritate me to the point of dnf'ing a book and dropping a series. The MC's of my books are adults and I expect them to have adult relationships with their parents. If I'm looking for something different, I'll read YA.

message 5: by Karen (new)

Karen (xKAMx) | 273 comments This question could also go for fathers since sometimes the protagonist has two living parents or widowed fathers (not just mothers).

Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes) wrote: "There are two mother-daughter tropes that lose me: the domineering, nasty, judgemental mother and the mother-knows-best mom."

I'm with you, I would prefer adult relationships between parents and their adult children. I find it funny that protagonists who are mothers don't act that way, but their mothers do. ???

Sandy wrote: "I only have one thing to say...D-E-L-O-R-E-S! The mother of Hannah Swensen.

I don't find Delores that annoying. What irritates me more is how the Hannah character responds. If Hannah wants to be treated as an adult, she should act like an adult.

Actually, that's my peeve when the parents in a cozy are written as annoying, irritating, bumbleheads, etc. -- when the protagonist reacts like a child, usually a petulant child, rather than an adult.

I don't particularly care for Judith's mother in Mary Daheim's Bed and Breakfast series. I don't like that she calls her daughter names, etc. However, there are those sweet scenes when she and Judith reminisce and their relationship is great. And, Judith doesn't respond to her mother like a petulant child.

There are more good examples, but I like the relationship between Dido Hoare and her father in Marianne Macdonald's Dido Hoare series.

Because I don't let one bad thing about a series keep me from reading it, I tend to skim over parts of books that irritate me. Bad parent/child relationships can be one of those bad things.