Anglicans discussion

Anglican Books > Anglican Literature

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Karen L. (last edited Oct 10, 2012 01:45PM) (new)

Karen L. James requested a list of Anglican authors or literature. Here's my list:
(1.)Yes, obviously C.S.Lewis
(2.) The Middle Way Voices of Anglicanism, by Lee W. Gibbs
(3.) The Anglican Vision by James E. Griffiss
(4.)The Basics of the Faith by Mark A. Pearson
Fiction:
(5.)Jan Karon, Mitford series on a priest and his parish life
(6.) Madeline L'Engle- Author of "A Wrinkle in Time" (sci-fi fantasy)
Also Anglicans read "The Confessions of St. Augustine" & the early church Fathers
(7.) and of course "The Book of Common Prayer"
Many also read Roman Catholic authors, such as G.K.Chesterton.

message 2: by Karen L. (last edited Oct 10, 2012 01:46PM) (new)

Karen L. Here's some more good Anglican Authors:
(8) Michael Ramsey- former Arch Bishop
(9.) Richard Hooker
(10.) John Henry Newman
(11.) William Wilberforce- the abolitionist

message 3: by Skylar (new)

Skylar Burris (skylarburris) | 134 comments I didn't realise L'Engle was Anglican. I read and enjoyed her fantasies as a child. I do believe she has some New Age hints in her work, but it's great children's literature that takes children seriously. I've read and been moved by St. Augustine's Confessions.

message 4: by James (last edited Apr 01, 2008 06:58AM) (new)

James | 46 comments Cool. I read a Wrinkle in Time so long ago. I should pick it up again and see if it holds up. St. Augustine of course is the man...Erasmus too lol. I'll look up Mitford and see if I can get her books at the Library. Thanks for the list. If anyone else knows anymore fiction please put it up.

message 5: by Poppy (new)

Poppy Madeline L'Engle was an Episcopalian. She volunteered and served as writer in residence at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine in NY, and received an honorary doctorate from the Episcopal seminary at Berkeley. Apparently her views aren't orthodox, but I haven't read any of her books except Wrinkle, and that years ago.

Other authors to include on a list: Dorothy L. Sayers was a great Christian apologist who also wrote the Lord Peter Wimsey mystery stories.

Mystery writer P. D. James is also a devout Anglican.

Then there's Susan Howatch's Starbridge series.

And Barbara Pym's books.

Stephen Leacock's Sunshine Sketches of a Little Town.

For poets, there are George Herbert and John Donne.

For humor, Adrian Plass.

And of course, Thomas the Tank Engine. :D

message 6: by James (new)

James | 46 comments Sweet more authors! P.D. James is devout? Cool. I thought I saw some Christian references in the movie Children of Men. I thought maybe she was just influenced but not of the faith. I'm gonna go check her out now. Oh and I love donne and Herbert. Was Marvel a Christian too?

message 7: by Skylar (new)

Skylar Burris (skylarburris) | 134 comments John Donne and George Herbert are too of my favorite poets. Marvell was a Reverend and a lecturer at Holy Trinity Church. He had a Calvinist streak in him. Then you also have John Milton, on the Puritain side of Anglican.

Of course, most of your great English poets of the 17th, 18th, and 19th century are going to be Anglican by default, though a few are Catholic.

message 8: by Karen L. (new)

Karen L. Great lists! Thanks Poppy & Skylar. So many to choose from. I too love George Herbert's poetry. I'll have to look for John Donne. :D

message 9: by Skylar (new)

Skylar Burris (skylarburris) | 134 comments I like Donne better than Herbert, but he's more complex. Donne has two types of poems - the sex poems and the religious poems. Of the religious poems, he's most known for his Holy Sonnets. You may be familiar with, "Batter my heart, three personed God..." It's in most of the school anthologies, or at least it was when I was a kid. Perhaps no Christian poetry is allowed in public schools these days; I don't know.

message 10: by Poppy (new)

Poppy Or his equally well-known sonnet that begins "Death, be not proud."

message 11: by Karen L. (last edited Oct 10, 2012 01:47PM) (new)

Karen L. Has anyone heard of Helen Roseveare? I believe she was a missionary to the African Congo. I read her story , "Living Sacrifice," years ago and remember her as coming to know the Lord through reading the Anglican Book of Common Prayer.

message 12: by Poppy (new)

Poppy I've never heard of Helen Roseveare--I'll hae to check her out.

It occurs to me that what I thought of as garden-variety Anglophilia might actually be Anglicanphilia.

I do seem to gravitate towards books that feature vicars and little parish churches and jumble sales and harvest festivals and such ( Barbara Pym and Dorothy Sayers come immediately to mind.)

(Pardon me while I play with GoodReads formatting!)

message 13: by Karen L. (last edited Apr 05, 2008 11:22AM) (new)

Karen L. Poppy, you've inspired me to add some Dorothy Sayers and Barbara Pym to my "to read" list. This sounds like nice summer reading for the porch swing. Ah, summer...

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I would add Robertson Davies (20th c. Canadian)
Henry Vaughan (17 C. Welsh -- if you like George Herbert)
Jeremy Taylor (chaplain to Charles I?)
William Law
Evelyn Underhill (for things mystical)

message 15: by Skylar (new)

Skylar Burris (skylarburris) | 134 comments I enjoy Vuaghn, though not as much as Herbert.

message 16: by Karen L. (new)

Karen L. Any thoughts on future books to discuss, following Chesterton? Looking for books we can easily access though our local libraries saves us money :)

message 17: by Skylar (new)

Skylar Burris (skylarburris) | 134 comments I don't know if this is easy, but I enjoyed Dinesh D'Sousa's What's So Great About Christianity, a response to recent atheist polemics. I think we mentioned The Cost of Discipleship earlier (Bonhoeffer).

message 18: by Poppy (new)

Poppy I've managed to mindlessly accumulate collect the following unread books in the past year and would love to have company reading them. Many of them are Anglican, but not all:

Knowing God by J. I. Packer
The Pilgrim's Regress by C. S. Lewis
Miracles by C. S. Lewis
The Great Divorce by C. S. Lewis
The Heart of Christianity by Marcus J. Borg
Simply Christian by N. T. Wright
The Mind of the Maker by Dorothy L. Sayers and an introduction by Madeleine L'Engle
The Narnian: The Life and Imagination of C. S. Lewis by Alan Jacobs
Crunchy Cons by Rod Dreher which I've read and recommend.

message 19: by Karen L. (new)

Karen L. Hm-m-m, some good ones. I want to read:
Knowing God
The Pilgrim's Regress
Miracles
I'd like to reread "The great Divorce"

Also I like the idea of the earlier mentioned book, "The Cost of Discipleship," by Bonhoeffer

message 20: by Skylar (new)

Skylar Burris (skylarburris) | 134 comments Simply Christian is on my to-read list, so that would be my vote. I've never read anything by N.T. Wright, and would like to.

I've read all of the Lewis books already. Of those, I think The Great Divorce the most interesting.

I read a review of Crunchy Cons, and it seems mildly interesting, but, like a lot of those nonfiction political books, I suspect it will be a thesis best stated in ten pages.

message 21: by [deleted user] (last edited May 16, 2008 02:26PM) (new)

"Simply Christian" sounds good to me, too. I have "Surprised by Hope" (also by NT Wright) on reserve but it's still "on order."

message 22: by Karen L. (new)

Karen L. Simply Christian does sound interesting. I've never read N.T.Wright.

message 23: by Poppy (new)

Poppy Sounds like there's a lot of interest in Simply Christian, so I'll start a new topic so we'll be ready to begin.

I'm away for the weekend and don't have it with me, but my husband can bring it. I look forward to an evening of reading tonight. (So many people look forward to the chance to go out--I look forward to the opportunity to stay in and read, read, read.)

message 24: by Karen L. (new)

Karen L. In ref to message 18, Anglican reading (just someFYI:

Borg, author of ,The Heart of Christianity is a progressive. Theologically he does not hold to orthodoxy, as laid out in the creeds, and the teachings of the church for the first 2000 years.

message 25: by Karen L. (new)

Karen L. In ref to the Borg book, I may actually take a look at the book just to stay informed and know what the progressives believe.

message 26: by Poppy (new)

Poppy Karen, I bought the book because I hear that this Borg dude is what everyone is reading.

I like to be familiar with the many strands of thought that inform the Sunday sermons I have to listen to. Many times the preacher will mention another writer--quote a snippet of C. S. Lewis or St. Augustine, to cite two recent sermons I've heard--but not mention the thinking or approach that is much more influential on their thinking, like post-modernist literary criticism, or theologians like Borg.

I suspect that this Borg dude--someone I'd never even heard of until this year--is the elephant in the room during a lot of sermons.

message 27: by Skylar (new)

Skylar Burris (skylarburris) | 134 comments Apparently Simply Christian is not in my county's library system - not a single copy at a single library. So I'm not sure if I'll join in that discussion; I may purchase a copy and then donate it to the library when I'm done!

message 28: by Karen L. (new)

Karen L. Poppy
About the Borg dude. I never heard of him either, but my husband had. Then I just looked him up online and read a bit, before I could figure out where he stood theologically. I may look at the book just to see what crazy stuff he believes.

I just wanted to post that FYI, so some innocent unread young one in the faith wouldn't read him first and get all confused.

message 29: by Karen L. (new)

Karen L. I am still reading Orthodoxy. I was crazy to think I could finish it last weekend LOL! I am going to savor it and finish it, because it is really good.

I did order Simply Christian from my local library, but it won't be in for a while.

message 30: by Skylar (new)

Skylar Burris (skylarburris) | 134 comments I ordered Simply Chrisitan from Amazon, and I'll donate it to the library when I'm done, since our system apparently doesn't have a copy. (So I broke my self-imposed, "no more buying books" rule.)

message 31: by Karen L. (new)

Karen L. Great Anglican online bookstore:
http://www.latimerpress.com/

message 32: by Karen L. (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:25AM) (new)

Karen L. Anybody want to try doing a group book discussion? This thread has some good books on our Anglican Literature lists. We could also do a work of fiction like The Shack. I am willing to buy that one. Let's see what ideas you all have.

message 33: by Skylar (new)

Skylar Burris (skylarburris) | 134 comments I'd be interested to read and discuss The Shack if I ever get it from the library. I think I am down to 100 on the hold list!

message 34: by Karen L. (new)

Karen L. I checked our library web site yesterday. Our library links with many other libraries. I noticed that the list of libraries with The Shack is huge now. I might actually be able to get a copy from them sooner than I thought. I am willing to wait for any others to get the book if there is interest in The Shack.

message 35: by James (new)

James | 46 comments A friend just lent me a copy of The Shack so I'm down for reading it. I just got through the first chapter so if everyone is wants to read it let's start a thread for it.

And on a side note, I've heard mixed things about the book. I've also been listening to a podcast by the guys who helped William P. Young write the book which will probably inform my opinion about some of the theology proposed in the novel.

I'd like to know what you guys think about the book and its theology with an unbiased/uninformed perspective, so if you guys want (or can) please try and read the book without looking for more information on the reception of it.

message 36: by James (new)

James | 46 comments LOL sorry. I hope that didn't come off as some sort of an order.

message 37: by Karen L. (new)

Karen L. Hi James,
Glad you are reading The Shack. I am going to see if I can borrow a copy from my friend this Sunday. We can all jump in the discussion at our own pace. I am so curious about it. We will definitely let you know what we all think about the theology. I think it will stir a lot of discussion.

Did you start a thread for the shack? If not go ahead and start one. We'll all jump in and I am curious to hear already your thoughts so far.

message 38: by Skylar (new)

Skylar Burris (skylarburris) | 134 comments I'll jump in late to the discussion (maybe even after it's wrapping up!) when I've got it and had a chance to read it. I am interested to read this book.

message 39: by Karen L. (new)

Karen L. WOW there are some really good books on this thread. In messages 5, 14 & 18 Poppy & Reading Recluse listed some good ones. I'm going to re-read "The Screw Tape Letters," by C.S. Lewis very soon.

message 40: by Karen L. (last edited Oct 10, 2012 01:40PM) (new)

Karen L. After reading All Hallow's Eve by Charles Williams, I found out that he was a member of the Church of England, thus an "Anglican author." I read it during the "All Hallows' Eve" season in the church, and finished it on "All Saints Day." This made it more enjoyable.

message 41: by Karen L. (new)

Karen L. If anyone has read any especially good Anglican books or as our group profile states, "Books that influence modern Anglicanism" (I think I've paraphrased that a bit), please feel free to click on "add books" on the groups bookshelf.

message 42: by Skylar (new)

Skylar Burris (skylarburris) | 134 comments I added a bunch of books by Anglicans to the shelf, Karen. I made a shelf for non-Anglican authors (since we read The Shack and Chesterton) and a shelf for discussed_as_group for those books we have discussion threads on here (The Shack and Orthodoxy/Heretics and--should there be some others there?). The rest I just left under read.

message 43: by Karen L. (new)

Karen L. Oh Thanks Skylar! Now we look like a "cool" group with wonderful books on our shelf. It helps to see the covers. Sometimes a cover draws me into reading a book.

God Bless!

message 44: by Skylar (new)

Skylar Burris (skylarburris) | 134 comments I've now also added fiction, nonfiction, and poetry shelfs of books by Anglican writers and poets, so it should be easy for people to get "reading ideas" for Anglican authors.

message 45: by Karen L. (new)

Karen L. Excellent Skylar, You rock!

message 46: by Karen L. (new)

Karen L. I just ordered Charles Williams, Descent Into Hell. I can't wait till it comes. Has anyone else read this? Any thoughts on it?

message 47: by Karen L. (new)

Karen L. I finished " Descent into Hell," and loved it! I am going to start, Place of the Liontonight.

message 48: by Karen L. (new)

Karen L. I have heard good about Anglican author, Susan Howatch

message 49: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (hottoddie) I've just finished a great book by an Anglican author
Leviathan with a Fish-Hook.I gave it five stars. Its well written [often a problem with christian literature!]and deeply moving.It appealed to me as it is about mental illness and didn't gloss over the subject but explored the real pain and suffering and God 's presence in it.The characters were so well portrayed that they leapt off the page.In fact, although I've finished they're still living in my head. Luckily it's the first of three so I'm hot footing it to Amazon to buy the next two

message 50: by Karen L. (new)

Karen L. Elaine, Thanks for sharing about "Leviathan with a Fish-Hook" I will have to get to my local library soon to see if they have that one.

« previous 1