Classical music lovers discussion

Composers > Chopin

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Héctor (last edited Jul 24, 2008 11:05PM) (new)

Héctor Chopin - Prelude op.28 n.8 (by Maurizio Pollini)

message 2: by Héctor (last edited Jul 24, 2008 11:06PM) (new)

Héctor Chopin - Etude op.10 no.12 (by S. Richter)

message 3: by Héctor (new)

Héctor
Chopin - Piano Concerto No.2 (by Martha Argerich-Bernhard Klee)

message 4: by Héctor (new)

Héctor
Frédéric Chopin's Piano Concerto No. 2 in F minor, Op. 21, was composed in 1830, before he had finished his formal education —he was around 20 years old. It was first performed on March 17, 1830, in Warsaw, Poland, with the composer as soloist. It was the second of his piano concertos to be published (after the Piano Concerto No. 1), and so was designated as "No. 2," although it was written first. It is considered to be one of the most beautiful piano concertos, containing virtuosic arpeggios and themes from various nocturnes.

Chopin - Piano Concerto No. 2, Mov 2 (by Argerich-Klee)

message 5: by Héctor (last edited Jul 28, 2008 03:18PM) (new)

Héctor
Chopin - Piano Concerto No. 2, Mov 1 (by Argerich-Klee)

Admirable!!!

message 6: by Goldie (new)

Goldie Marie | 19 comments I recently read one of Chopin's biographies and I was shocked to find that George Sand (once his Lover) didn't show up when he was lying on his deathbed.

message 7: by Florita (new)

Florita (ms_rita) | 220 comments Mod
Yes, she was poisoned against him by her wretched son.

message 8: by Goldie (new)

Goldie Marie | 19 comments Such a tragic ending.

message 9: by Florita (last edited Jul 29, 2008 09:30AM) (new)

He didn't have much luck with women. :(

Did you read about this theory that he had cystic fibrosis, not TB?

Scientists want to do DNA testing on Chopin's heart

message 10: by Florita (last edited Jul 29, 2008 09:52AM) (new)

message 11: by Goldie (new)

Goldie Marie | 19 comments yes, I'm currently reading The lives and times of the great composers witch brings up that theory. My friends believe that the only way a composers greatness is validated is through their tragic ending (not my opinion, my crazy friends) unfortunately it does seem to be common (their tragic endings).

message 12: by Florita (new)

Yes, you'd think the quality of their music might have something to do with it.

Chopin was particularly tragic, though he didn't exactly look after himself very well.

Of course, if you go back much more than 100 years or so, dying at a relatively young age wasn't tragic - it was perfectly normal!

message 13: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 8 comments I love Chopin's unruly piano sonata 2. I must confess that I am fascinated with the darker, more somber Chopin. He, of course, is famous for his sparkling melodies and so I love the stormy opening of the first mvt, as well as the "march funebre" 3rd mvt.

message 14: by Héctor (last edited Dec 10, 2008 01:54PM) (new)

Héctor

Chopin - Étude op.25 nº12 (by Murray Perahia)

message 15: by Matthew (new)

Matthew | 6 comments Though I haven't played seriously in years, Chopin was my favorite composer to play back when I studied piano. In school, I competed with the Military Polonaise but also greatly enjoyed his gentler work. Haydn was a distant second favorite.

message 16: by Héctor (last edited Jan 22, 2009 01:07AM) (new)

message 17: by Anna (new)

Anna | 14 comments "I tell you a secret about Chopin, piano is his best friend. More. He tells piano all his secrets."

Quote taken from the new book from Macmillan

Piano Lessons by Anna Goldsworthy

Shuhan [On Leave] (Inyourclosetinyourhead) Arthur Rubenstein is the best Chopin player ever...as you all know...
I love Chopin music. It is definitely different to Liszt though. Loads of people foolishly think they're THE SAME. They aren't. They're just both from the Romantic Era.

My favourite pianist, my idol won the International Chopin Competition in 2000 and was the youngest ever to win it.
Li YunDi! I love him!

message 20: by 'Aussie Rick' (new)

'Aussie Rick' (aussierick) I love Chopin, some of his music is so powerful that I have to play it over and over again.

description

message 21: by David (new)

David William Elswick | 100 comments http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tZlht...

Chopin - Nocturne in G major: Andantino, Op.37, No.2

message 22: by David (new)

David William Elswick | 100 comments http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS7KfO...

Chopin - Etude Op. 10 No. 3 (Pollini)

message 23: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Bogart | 3 comments Just attended a Chopin birthday gala concert in San Francisco. Four hours of local artists playing the great works. It was wonderful to spend so much time with Chopin's music. Also interesting to me was how this composer's music really reveals so much about the player.