Memoirs of Hadrian Memoirs of Hadrian discussion

Pre-Reading Opinion

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Remko (new)

Remko Caprio I like a lot of French authors (Celine, Camus, deMaupassant, Sartre) and Yourcenar is recommended by some of my European friends as one of their favorite authors. I believe not all of her works are translated into English, but this is one of her major works.
Here's the wikipedia link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A9m...

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I read this book many years ago and loved it -- one of the best if not the best work of fiction about the ancient world.

Vivencio am a great fan of renault and graves and this one fits into and is high up in the category. just started reading yourcenar's 'the abyss' and i'm hooked already!

Rotapannotta Amazing and extremely boring! I took a life time to finish it!

Liza Rosas Loved it ...nothing like it

Ruth I read it 5 times and you can always see a new aspect of the story. It is a deep reflection on life.

Giovanna I read it,and i loved it! Like all the others books by Yourcenar. I reccomend you to read it, although it is not the best of her works. Have you read L'Œuvre au noir ? I don't know if you can find the english version: i'm italian. But it's a beautiful book!
Sorry for my english and good read

message 8: by Bryn (last edited Feb 27, 2013 01:23PM) (new) - added it

Bryn Hammond I've stalled about page 100. I think my expectations were too high, as I've meant to read this for twenty years, it's been a legendary book to me. Found the first 30 pages what I expected, but since, not so much, and I fear that Hadrian himself is getting unsympathetic to me. Do others find him sympathetic throughout?

I also have her Two Lives and a Dream and might try that ahead.

Silvana Pellegrini Adam For me it´s a "must read" book
It is also a book that you must read if you have time and preferably several times.I read the the book for the first time a few years ago and have read it again a couple of years ago.

Josmith It's one of the best books I have ever read. Masterpiece.

message 11: by Jan (new) - added it

Jan Rotapannotta wrote: "Amazing and extremely boring! I took a life time to finish it!"

I am getting old and don't have a lifetime to dedicate to this book, so I took comfort from the comment that it was extremely boring because I took it back to the library. Usually I can plow through anything, but I'm losing patience at this end of my life.

message 12: by Mkfs (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mkfs Usually I can plow through anything, but I'm losing patience...

This is a long, slow, but ultimately rewarding read. It's like watching a Tarkovsky film (for weeks, not hours).

I would recommend not making this book your primary reading. Have a different novel to read in the evening, or at lunch, or during your commute. Spend a half-hour or an hour a day with Memoirs of Hadrian.

This sounds a lot like "treat this book like homework". So be it.

I fear that Hadrian himself is getting unsympathetic to me. Do others find him sympathetic throughout?

Yes. There are aspects to his personality that are admirable, and others that are despicable. That is part of what makes it interesting to see how his mind works.