Philadelphia Book Club discussion

what's on the schedule?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gina (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:53AM) (new)

Gina | 1 comments Hello all! I am currently reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I know. I got a late start with H.P. but I'm a fast reader. Anywho, this club sounds great but what should be the first book?

message 2: by Carisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:54AM) (new)

Carisa | 2 comments Hi! I'd love to read the new Harry Potter when everyone is ready. Some other books I'd like to read are 'Middlesex', 'The Lovely Bones', 'Life of Pi' maybe 'The Poisonwood Bible'. But I'm up for pretty much anything. Does anyone else have suggestions?

message 3: by Eileen (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:55AM) (new)

Eileen | 4 comments Afraid I've already read the new Harry Potter. I have been itching to read 'The Life of Pi.' Anyone interested in reading Freakonomics and seeing if it lives up to the hype. I hear the NYTimes is stealing the authors to be their new bloggers.

message 4: by Frani (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:56AM) (new)

Frani Lieberman | 1 comments Mod
Have you all read The Perks of Being a Wallflower? I think we ought to pick a book, pick a park, pick a wine (or a coffee for those sad sad humans who haven't discovered the beauty of good wine) and get together...

message 5: by Eileen (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:57AM) (new)

Eileen | 4 comments Let's see, I can only do Fridays or Saturdays. I usually work Sunday through Thursday, second shift. But the 17th and 18th ane 24th and 25th are booked for me. After that I'm good.

message 6: by Carisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:58AM) (new)

Carisa | 2 comments I think we should get and read 'The Perks of Being a Wallflower' and then meet up either the evening of Friday Aug. 31 or sometime Saturday Sept. 1. Maybe we could meet in rittenhouse square? I've got some red wine (I think it's a Malbec) I've been wanting to try so I can bring that along too!

message 7: by Eileen (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:02PM) (new)

Eileen | 4 comments How about making a list of the books everyone suggests, and then slowly going down it? I'm good for the 31 or 1 but I'd need to know what time. I can bring a bottle of rose wine for those who don't like red.

message 8: by Eileen (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:12PM) (new)

Eileen | 4 comments Afraid I'm out this weekend, unless we weren't expected to get Perks of a Wallflower read by Friday. (I'm negotiating a contract for my fellow workers at the paper.)

message 9: by Maureen (new)

Maureen (msalt1) | 1 comments Hi, what's going on with this group, seems its kinda slow. Check out what i am reading, did anyone read any of them and can comment. Thanks

message 10: by Naomi (new)

Naomi | 10 comments hi, is this club still active? what's going on - what being read, etc?

message 11: by Christine (new)

Christine Cavalier (purplecar) | 1 comments Naomi wrote: "hi, is this club still active? what's going on - what being read, etc?"

We can start it up again if you like! I'm in a real life book club and right now we are reading Trail of Crumbs by Kim Sunee.

What is the current book for one book, one philadelphia?

message 12: by Matthew (new)

Matthew | 1 comments the current book is The Soloist. That could be interesting. I just heard a review on NYTimes book review about a nonfiction book by a Philly writer; it's called Closing Time: A Memoir by Joe Queenan. It's about his growing up in a North Philadelphia housing project in the late 50'sish with his struggling family lead by his abusive, alcoholic, Irish father. Could be interesting. The author is a humorist too, so the somber theme is change for him. The book review liked it.