Horror Aficionados discussion

Novels > The Ruins *SPOILERS*

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (patmagazine) | 5 comments Has anyone read this? I saw the movie preview but didn't realize it was based on a book, there's a high-praise blurb from King on the back.

message 2: by Desiree (new)

Desiree (jrzygrl75) | 3 comments oh really? I didn't know that either!

I will have to make sure I check it out.

message 3: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 139 comments I am reading this now. I can't give any kind of comment yet, except that I am anxious to know what happens. Thats a good thing!

message 4: by alicia (new)

alicia grant (shesha34) | 2 comments I have this book on my list since October and finally bought it but haven't read it yet.Soon as i'm done withe the two other library books i'm reading it.I kept hearing it was good and creepy from other book boards.

message 5: by Cliff (new)

Cliff | 11 comments I must be weird, but I hated the book. It was second rate in comparison to the authors other works.

message 6: by Christina (new)

Christina I have to agree with Cliff ,compared to his first book A Simple Plan which was a great story and had wonderful characters and an ending I won't forget.I though that the Ruins did not live up to all the hype. It makes for a good beach book a quick and diverting read but it's not great horror.
Chris

message 7: by Caryn (new)

Caryn | 3 comments I agree with Cliff & Christina - I remember reading reviews about it and I was really looking forward to reading it, but then when I actually picked it up I was disappointed. The whole build-up had the feel of one of those horror stories/movies where the characters get themselves into a situation that they totally could have avoided, and once in that situation you're supposed to have sympathy for them/relate to them or be scared for them. It's one of those set-ups that turned me off straight off the bat...

message 8: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments It's so funny how someone either loves or hates The Ruins. Check out the reviews on Amazon and see the tug of war there. Seems like there's no middle ground.

I LOVED this book. Couldn't put it down and was creeped out beyond belief. I'm a big history nut and love reading and thinking about ancient cultures.

If you look at it as just another horror book/movie about an evil vine, it sounds lame, like something Stephen King would think of in his later years. But throw in the history of the area, the natives' way of dealing with the ancient evil, and the theme of language barrier that runs throughout the story and it's taken to another level. Or it is IMHO.

message 9: by Cliff (new)

Cliff | 11 comments Tressa, it's not to say that the movie won't be good. I saw the promos for the movie and it does look good enough to see. Fuuny you should talk about either stories that have man eating plants. I could only think of The Little Shop Of Horror.

It is a scary concept I'm surprised no one has written a story of such.

message 10: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 177 comments I read this last summer. It was definitely a page-turner, but it ultimately didn't work for me. I think it's because he was trying to repeat the formula that worked so well in A Simple Plan -- take friends and put them in a situation that exploits their weaknesses to destroy them -- and give it a supernatural twist.

But what makes A Simple Plan compelling is that they destroy themselves and each other and they DON'T HAVE TO. In The Ruins, as soon as they cross the bare earth to the mound, they're doomed no matter what they do. They could be perfect angels and support each other and do every single thing right, and they're still going to die. So watching them fall apart and bicker and turn on each other and go crazy doesn't matter, ultimately.

Also, the whole set-up never convinced me that it was anything other than the writer concocting an inescapable death trap -- nothing had any intrinsic rationale for the way it was; the hostile locals, the vine, it was all just there. That said, it succeeded in being disturbing and creepy, and I looked at the ferns outside my livingroom window with great suspicion while I was reading it.

message 11: by Cliff (new)

Cliff | 11 comments Great explanation. I thought A Simple Plan Was a great book!

message 12: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 139 comments I must say I am really liking it so far. I'm halfway done and I can't put it down. I guess if there are only 2 camps on this (love it, or hate it), so far I am in the love it camp. Sorry guys.

message 13: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (patmagazine) | 5 comments Finished it last night, I loved it all the way through, almost like a "Tales From the Crypt" comic expanded and stripped of all humor. My favorite was the flowersv were mimicking the voice of the character who had said "They're not laughing at us," so they knew the vines in fact were laughing.

message 14: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 139 comments Just finished The Ruins last night. I loved it! I couldn't put it down! I will never look at plants, or should I say vines, the say way again! And how the vines went from repeating back their own words, to then making up things using their voices. Very creepy! Loved it! Loved it!

message 15: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Cliff, I don't think any other horror book has a vine in it, I was just comparing that to some of the everyday items that some horror writers choose to write about that might seem lame to others who really aren't into horror.

A haunted room, a haunted amulet and sand (Michael McDowell), an evil postman and insurance agent and store owner (Bentley Little).

message 16: by alicia (new)

alicia grant (shesha34) | 2 comments finally read it and have to say i was a little dissapointed in it.I would have liked more background on the vine and the mayans.There was no outright expalnation of why they were forced to be up there.It was a different since it's about a killer vine and all.It's not the best story and not the worst.

message 17: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Alicia, I sort of like the idea of not having anymore information about the vine than any foreign traveler who stumbles into its lair. Just makes it that more frightening. Knowing as little as the victims do about the vine and the civilization, we can experience the frustration of the language barrier and the strange reactions of the Mayas.

Tim (Mole) The Gunslinger (Mole) | 10 comments i thought the book was well written and was very entertaining!!! my 1st book by him saw the movie preview thought book would be better!!!lol of course

message 19: by Jen (new)

Jen (delphyne) | 69 comments I'm on the side of loving The Ruins. It's a fast paced, entertaining read. I did like the movie's ending better than the book's ending, though.

message 20: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (dmfriend26) | 25 comments I love this book. Not done yet, but still love it better than the movie. They got the plot and characters all mixed up. I would still call the movie entertaining though. The books just better. :D

message 21: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) I hated this book. I loved it until the end when the one char I wish would have died escaped. I guess I still have the mentality where I want the good to live and the whiney selfish to die

message 22: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments ***SPOILER***

Renee, not one character survived in The Ruins.

message 23: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 177 comments Unless you count the plant ...

message 24: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments And the locals who know better than to get near the plant.

message 25: by Ken (new)

Ken (reedr) | 36 comments I saw the movie and was thoroughly grossed out.

message 26: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) BloodyHorror wrote: "I saw the movie and was thoroughly grossed out."

Sadly the movie was crap

message 27: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments The movie is bloody awful, BloodyHorror.

message 28: by Steve (new)

Steve Chaput (stevec50) Didn't see the film, but did listen to the audiobook version. Brutal, to say the least. I have to admit that the trailers for the film didn't do much for me, but a friend recommended the book. Did somebody walk away in the film?

message 29: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Loved the audiobook. That reader did a great job with every character. I always forget the reader's name. Some actor.

I've tried to erase the movie from my memory, and I've done a pretty good job since I can't remember if the ending was changed. I'm tending to lean towards no one walking away.

message 30: by Steve (new)

Steve Chaput (stevec50) It was read by Patrick Wilson. He played Nite Owl II in WATCHMEN, among other films.

message 31: by Heather (new)

Heather (hkhart) | 3 comments I loved the book, movie was okay, not great.

message 32: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Yes, Wilson. I can never remember his name. He was good in Hard Candy and Little Children. He always looks like a married slimeball to me.

message 33: by Steve (new)

Steve Chaput (stevec50) Tressa wrote: "Yes, Wilson. I can never remember his name. He was good in Hard Candy and Little Children. He always looks like a married slimeball to me."

LOL! Sad but true. He does come across that way in some of his roles.

Btw, I agree that not knowing everything about the plants did not spoil the story for me. Sometimes an author will try to rationalize some creature or occurance in a book and it comes off as silly or bad science. Just scare me!

message 34: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I think not knowing anything about the plant's existence but that you are doomed once it surrounds you made the story.

message 35: by Erica (new)

Erica (bookpsycho) | 256 comments I thought the book was awesome!

message 36: by Jen (new)

Jen (delphyne) | 69 comments ***SPOILERS for the movie***

At the end, that one guy brought his girlfriend down pretending she was dead. He started walking the perimeter to get the locals to focus on him. Eventually he screams her name - she escapes, he gets shot.

message 37: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments OMG. That is so effing stupid.

message 38: by Erica (new)

Erica (bookpsycho) | 256 comments I hate it when they change the ending. Sometimes it needs to remain the way it was written.

message 39: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I know. Sometimes different endings work, but most times they don't. I didn't mind the ending to The Mist being changed (not that I was happy about it), but the creepiness of The Ruins depends on the power of the damn ancient vine and the perseverance of the natives at making sure what checks in don't check out.

message 40: by Erica (new)

Erica (bookpsycho) | 256 comments Tressa wrote: "I know. Sometimes different endings work, but most times they don't. I didn't mind the ending to The Mist being changed (not that I was happy about it), but the creepiness of The Ruins depends on t..."

Bingo!

message 41: by Steve (new)

Steve Chaput (stevec50) Are you telling me that the vines, which were able to do some pretty amazing things, could not know the girl was alive? Even if I had not read the book that ending would have had me tossing stuff at the screen.

message 42: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Well, the vines can strangle and dig their way into a body and mimic voices to drive one insane. But it's the natives who gather round the bottom of the hill to make sure that no one makes it out alive. Even so, that ending sucks.

message 43: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) Steve wrote: "Are you telling me that the vines, which were able to do some pretty amazing things, could not know the girl was alive? Even if I had not read the book that ending would have had me tossing stuff ..."

They did this stupid cg vine graphic on here eyes to show she was escaping with the vines already in her.

message 44: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments So she was dooming civilization?

Margie (Bookzombie) (bookzombie08) I loved The Ruins. I agree with Tressa about what made The Ruins creepy, so I was disappointed that they changed the ending for the movie. I was even more disappointed that the actual writer wrote the screenplay and changed the ending. I guess I expect that to happen more if someone else adapts the novel.

message 46: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Argh, I didn't know that Scott Smith wrote the screenplay. WTF was he thinking? Maybe he should have changed the ending to A Simple Plan too, then it could have sucked like the movie The Ruins did. As it stands, ASP followed the book and is an excellent movie.

Margie (Bookzombie) (bookzombie08) I'm thinking that maybe he was thinking about his bank account, IDK. I haven't seen or read A Simple Plan, but need to. I have seen you praise it several times, Tressa.

message 48: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments ASP the book and movie are both good. Hope you read/see it one day.

message 49: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) Tressa wrote: "So she was dooming civilization?"

Yep. The movie really kinda crapped on the books sincerity. Knowing the author wrote it just makes me wanna smack him. The only problem I had with the book was a lack of emotional bonds in some areas, otherwise he did a great job of doing a plot that offered something new to the genre.

message 50: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I am really bummed I found this out. What a Hollywood sellout. He's such a fantastic writer. I read The Ruins twice and even listened to the audio. I can count on one hand the books I've done that with.

I get very annoyed by twentysomethings in TV and movies, but the characters in the book had personalities, whether or not I liked them for that reason. But the characters in the movie lacked any kind of depth so I was actually rooting for the vine. The movie might have been scarier with unknowns in it.

« previous 1