Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Miscellaneous Book Talk > Bouchercon reports

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Cheryl (last edited Oct 16, 2009 04:39PM) (new)

Cheryl | 547 comments Seeing it's the end of the second day, I thought I should get some kind of report added.
Jan, Sandi, Jeff (Sandi's brother) and I met and had dinner at Palomino's on Wednesday night. We met Mary in the hotel lobby Thursday morning. Since then our paths have crossed at panels and signings.
First panel: Men, Women & Murder Through the Ages with Beverle Graves Myers, Tasha Alexander, Roberta Gellis, Ann Parker and Tony Hays. They all write historical mysteries and they talked about how they picked the time period and chose the voice for their mystery. Tony Hays talked about his Dark Ages/Britain series in the strongest southern accent Roberta gellis whose main character runs a brothel looks like someone's grandmother.
Second panel: Suddenly I'm Thirsty Con Lehane, Chris Knopf, JA Konrath, Jason Pinter and Tom Schreck. Alcohol is important part of each author's series. They drink, sometimes too much, or in Con Lehane's case the MC is a bartender. Some argument as to how they handle the subject with the audience thinking that some of them glorified it.
Third Panel: The Fixers with George Easter, Brett Battles, Lee Child, Andrew Grant (Lee Child's brother) Mike Lawson. They're not PIs, not cops, not federal agents, they just solve problems.
The day concluded with the awards, an interview with SJ Rozan and then a welcoming party with a talent show, games, etc.

message 2: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 547 comments Report #2 Friday
First panel: Setting as Character William Kent Kreuger, Deborah Atkinson, Tom Corcoran, Jonathan King and Eric Stone. How and why setting is an important character in mysteries. Kent had each panelist choose an excerpt from the book that demonstrated the effect of setting. Gail - Jonathan King recently self-published a historical mystery called The Styx I haven't seen it in the book room, but I will look again tomorrow.
Second panel: PWA Panel: The PI novel through the years Melodie, I thought of you here because the moderator was Robert Randisi. The four panelists each had a PI novel debut in a different decade. The 70s - John Lutz; the 80s - Max Allan Collins; the 90s - SJ Rozan and 2004 - Michael Koryta. Interesting discussion of the genre, its ups and downs and the approach and how it has changed.
Third panel: The Fabled One Sitting Read Michelle Gagnon, Linwood Barclay, Andrew Gross Erica Spindler, Michael Robotham. What makes a book one that you can't put down?

message 3: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1103 comments Hi All,

Having lots of fun at Bouchercon. Here are a few quick thoughts on the panels I have attended

Thursday's Panels

I started the day off with The Mean Streets of Indianapolis with authors Tony Perona, Brandt Dodson, Michael Z. Lewin,Brenda Stewart, and
Ronald Tierney. This was about how Indy stacks up as a locale for crime fiction.

The second panel I attended was Lost in Translation? with Peter Rozovsky who writes the very entertaining blog http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogsp..., author Yrsa Sigurdardottir, translators Steven T. Murrary (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) author and translator Tiina Nunnally and Robert Pepin (translates American crime fiction to French). This was one of the best panels I have attended. I really enjoyed the inside info on how translators work and having an author whose work is translated added a great counterpoint to the discussion.

The third panel of the day that I attended was Murder, Therapy and Social Work with Elizabeth Zelvin, Margaret Fenton, Roberta Isleib, and Lois Greiman.

Next up was The Mystery of a Lifetime which was an interesting discussion among authors who wrote bio's or articles about other mystery authors. On the panel were Jeffrey Marks, Julia Jones,
Leslie S. Klinger, Craig McDonald, and Elena Santangelo.

The final panel of the day that I attended was Dirty Rotten Liars: The Game Show which was a fun quiz type panel with Peter Lovesey, Liza Cody and Michael Z Lewin.

message 4: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 547 comments The panels are interesting. There are over 1500 people here, and the rooms are crowded and the signing lines are long. One of the best parts is the ability to sit and talk to different authors and readers.
I always meet a few new people and renew old acquaintances.Tom Schreck signed my book and thanked me for being such a sweetheart;Marcus Sakey tells everyone I'm trouble; I can't even list all the people who know me by name.
I hope Mary comes on and makes a report. I happen to know that Lee Child bought her a latte. She'll have to tell the details.
SF next October - start planning ahead.

message 5: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1103 comments On to Friday's panels:

First up for me was Murder is a Family Affair with Edward Wright, Patricia Gussin, Sophie Hannah, Jason Starr, and the Caroline Todd half of the Charles Todd writing combo. Lots of great info on family dynamics in crime. Will try and read a number of these authors in the future.

Then I went to The Dark Side of the Fair Sex with Megan Abbott, Chelsea Cain, Sophie Littlefield, and representing all of mankind Derek Nikitas. This was a very funny/informative panel and I must admit that while I usually do not like books with serial killers I will try Heartsick (Gretchen Lowell, #1) by Chelsea Cain because of this panel.

After lunch was the GOH interview of Michael Connelly by Michael Koryta.

Then I went to How I Met My Protagonist with Julie Kramer, Kelli Nichols(half of P.J. Parrish), Charlaine Harris, and Martyn Waites. Another very funny panel where all the authors shined.

Finally I ended the day with Murder at the Edge of the World with Leighton Gage, Christopher G. Moore, Tamar Myers, Yrsa Sigurðardóttir, & the Stanley Trollip half of Michael Stanley. When I first looked over the author listing I was a bit puzzled that Tamar Myers was on the panel since I thought she wrote cozies set in Pa. Well it turns out she does write two cozy series but she has a new book forthcoming The Witch Doctor's Wife by Tamar Myers which is based on her childhood in the Belgian Congo where her parents were missionaries. Another great panel, really the whole day was very entertaining, not a dud in the bunch.

message 6: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3510 comments Cheryl wrote: "Second panel: PWA Panel: The PI novel through the years Melodie, I thought of you here because the moderator was Robert Randisi. The four panelists each had a PI novel debut in a different decade. The 70s - John Lutz; the 80s - Max Allan Collins; the 90s - SJ Rozan and 2004 - Michael Koryta....."

Randisi can be quite entertaining! I remember going to a panel he moderated at the B'con Vegas a few years back and he was really funny. Did he talk about the Rat Pack books at all? They've quickly become a favorite series of mine. I always enjoy Max Allan Collins, too. He's always interesting. Wish he was still writing the CSI books. They were consistenly good when he was writing them, not so much anymore.

message 7: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3510 comments Sandi wrote: "On to Friday's panels:

Then I went to How I Met My Protagonist with Julie Kramer, Kelli Nichols(half of P.J. Parrish), Charlaine Harris, and Martyn Waites. Another very funny panel where all the authors shined.
..."

This is one I would have hit with Charlaine Harris on the panel. What did she have to say about the Sookie characters?

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 13418 comments Cheryl:
Thanks for getting the ball rolling on the reports. The panels sound great, especially the one with Lee Child and Brett Battles. I keep meaning to get to the Andrew Grant book. I bet all of you are having a great time today! We are thrilled to hear about the panels and goings on! I would have loved to hear SJ Rozan's interview.

Cheryl wrote: "Seeing it's the end of the second day, I thought I should get some kind of report added.
Jan, Sandi, Jeff (Sandi's brother) and I met and had dinner at Palomino's on Wednesday night. We met Mary in the hotel lobby Thursday morning. Since then our paths have crossed at panels and signings...
Third Panel: The Fixers with George Easter, Brett Battles, Lee Child, Andrew Grant (Lee Child's brother) Mike Lawson. They're not PIs, not cops, not federal agents, they just solve problems.
The day concluded with the awards, an interview with SJ Rozan and then a welcoming party with a talent show, games, etc. "

message 9: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 13418 comments Sandi:
The Lost in Translation panel sounds particularly fascinating. I have often been curious about the challenges and process of translating a book - not just with the words or meaning but to include the nuances and the flow of the story as the author intended in the original language. Glad you are having fun!

Sandi wrote: "Hi All,Having lots of fun at Bouchercon. Here are a few quick thoughts on the panels I have attended
The second panel I attended was Lost in Translation? with Peter Rozovsky who writes the very entertaining blog http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.... author Yrsa Sigurdardottir, translators Steven T. Murrary (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) author and translator Tiina Nunnally and Robert Pepin (translates American crime fiction to French). This was one of the best panels I have attended. I really enjoyed the inside info on how translators work and having an author whose work is translated added a great counterpoint to the discussion. .."

message 10: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 13418 comments Sandi:
I think I would have liked this panel (The Dark Side of the Fair Sex ).
Heartsick is a very good book. For those of us who do like serial killer type books I highly recommend it, I am not sure how a non-serial killer fan would like it but it was suspenseful and hard to put down, with a slightly different view of a serial killer and the victims. The characters are intriguing, the chapters short and concise. I didn't enjoy book two in the Chelsea Cain series, but may try book three someday.

Sandi wrote: "On to Friday's panels:
Then I went to The Dark Side of the Fair Sex with Megan Abbott, Chelsea Cain, Sophie Littlefield, and representing all of mankind Derek Nikitas. This was a very funny/informative panel and I must admit that while I usually do not like books with serial killers I will try Heartsick because of this panel...."

message 11: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 13418 comments Cheryl:
This panel sounds good too as I have enjoyed PI novels throughout the years ;) and the authors on the panel!
I galloped through the audio books in the library by John Lutz, have enjoyed several of the profilic Robert Randisi's books and LOVE SJ Rozan's various series and stand-alone books. I have also read a Brett Battles and Max Allan Collinds book or two. I haven't tried Koryta (yet). Did SJ talk of upcoming books she will give us?

Cheryl wrote: "Report #2 Friday
Second panel: PWA Panel: The PI novel through the years Melodie, I thought of you here because the moderator was Robert Randisi. The four panelists each had a PI novel debut in a different decade. The 70s - John Lutz; the 80s - Max Allan Collins; the 90s - SJ Rozan and 2004 - Michael Koryta. Interesting discussion of the genre, its ups and downs and the approach and how it has changed. ...."

message 12: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1103 comments >>This is one I would have hit with Charlaine Harris on the panel. What did she have to say about the Sookie characters? <<

I thought this was panel you would have enjoyed. Charlaine Harris was a hoot. She first said how Sookie incorporates all of the attributes that she really admires and then decided that Sookie was a lot like her daughter. She also said the Sookie will not turn into a vampire and that she has three more books contracted and will decide soon whether to wrap up the series. She does not like to have series go on too long and also stated that the latest in the Harper Connelly series would probably be the last and she had said all she needed to say with Lily Bard. She admitted that she had made a few mistakes within the Sookie universe since they had to be written so quickly, that she likes to watch True Blood since she is not sure what will happen, and that her biggest regret was some sort of blood bond between Sookie and Eric (? not real sure that I have that right).

message 13: by Gail/Ladyvolz (new)

Gail/Ladyvolz Bowman (ladyvolz) | 343 comments Ladies, thank you so much for all the information you are passing on. How thrilling it must be! And Cheryl thanks for the update on Jonathan King. I will have to try to find that book. Since he self published, I WISH he would put it out in kindle format! And I guess that means no more Max Freeman novels>! Darn

Again, thank you everyone! Maybe one of these days after Abby gets out of college I can attend BCon. I would so love to do that!

message 14: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 547 comments Gail said Again, thank you everyone! Maybe one of these days after Abby gets out of college I can attend BCon. I would so love to do that!

I don't how many years away that is. Bcon 2011 is in St. Louis and although it is not definite, it looks like 2012 might be in Cleveland.

message 15: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments Ann wrote: "Cheryl:
This panel sounds good too as I have enjoyed PI novels throughout the years ;) and the authors on the panel!
I galloped through the audio books in the library by John Lutz, have enjoyed ..."

Ann,
I can't believe I'm asking a non RIO person, but can Lutz be read OOF by a usually compulsive person? My library only has the paperback of his 1st and my eyes rebel at the thought of the fine print.

message 16: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 547 comments Bouchercon is winding down. I didn't get to many panels today. Long signing lines for Harlan Coben (who still remembers me) and Sue Grafton ran overtime. The panels were so crowded that there wasn't sitting room if you came in late.
I did go the first one of the morning The Cold Dead Hand of the Past with Sandra Parshall, Thomas H. Cook, Deborah Crombie, Jennifer McMahon and Dan Waddell.
I have mentioned Waddell before. I read his book The Blood Detective that uses a character that is a professional genealogist. It's one of my favorites of the year.
The buzz at the convention was for a book called Double Exposure by Michael Lister. Michael Connelly praised it during his interview.
I will probably post some last minute thoughts tomorrow as I am staying over and leaving Monday morning.

message 17: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7247 comments Sandi wrote: "

I started the day off with The Mean Streets of Indianapolis with authors Tony Perona, Brandt Dodson, Michael Z. Lewin,Brenda Stewart, and
Ronald Tierney. This was about how Indy stacks up as a locale for crime fiction. ..."

Boy, I almost feel like I'm there. Thanks, all, for your reports. I would have liked this panel, Sandi. What was the conclusion?

I would have liked the Translation one too. Any revelations about translating the Stieg Larson series? So sad that there will be no more...

message 18: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7247 comments Cheryl wrote: "
I don't how many years away that is. Bcon 2011 is in St. Louis and although it is not definite, it looks like 2012 might be in Cleveland.
..."

Hmm, two midwestern cities in a row, that's interesting. Although maybe Cleveland doesn't consider itself midwest.

It will be interesting to return to St. Louis, if I go. I haven't been back since 1975.

message 19: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7247 comments Cheryl wrote: "I hope Mary comes on and makes a report. I happen to know that Lee Child bought her a latte. She'll have to tell the details. ..."

Okay I'm really jealous now!

message 20: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3510 comments Sandi wrote: ">>
I thought this was panel you would have enjoyed. Charlaine Harris was a...She admitted that she had made a few mistakes within the Sookie universe since they had to be written so quickly, that she likes to watch True Blood since she is not sure what will happen, and that her biggest regret was some sort of blood bond between Sookie and Eric (? not real sure that I have that right). "

I find it interesting that she feels that way about the relationship she forged between Sookie & Eric. I think it's one of the better twists she put into the books fairly early on. I had read somewhere that she remarked about something she regretted in the books at ComicCon. This must have been it. She also had said she changed something in the most recent book due to pressure from outside forces, which I figured was possibly HBO. I'd love to know what that was, too.

message 21: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3510 comments Cheryl wrote: "Gail said Again, thank you everyone! Maybe one of these days after Abby gets out of college I can attend BCon. I would so love to do that!

I don't how many years away that is. Bcon 2011 is in..."

I'm looking forward to 2010 in San Francisco for sure, and probably St. Louis in 2011. Cleveland might be good. I've only ever been there once, when I was about 5. Might be a good locale since I could take in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and I'd never go to Cleveland just to see that.

message 22: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1103 comments >>I would have liked the Translation one too. Any revelations about translating the Stieg Larson series? So sad that there will be no more...<<

The translation of the works of Stieg Larsson made a fascinating story. First, it was a difficult job because the author had passed away before any of the translating work had been started. The second problem was that film rights had already been sold and they needed an English translation fast so the screenplay could be written. As to there being no more books, there is a half written book on the hard drive of a laptop that Larrson's partner has, but it seems it is the beginning and the end of a story with no middle section.

message 23: by Ann (last edited Oct 17, 2009 08:12PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 13418 comments Sandi and Melodie:
Re Charlaine Harris's comments shared by Sandi - I also am a big fan of the Sookie & Eric blood bond; that story is one of the best plot points of the book series IMHO. Hmm, now we need to know what she changed at HBO's insistence! I just ordered A Touch of Dead. I am not sure if I have read all of these short stories, but figured it will be a popular book for DD and her friends too.

Melodie wrote: " I find it interesting that she feels that way about the relationship she forged between Sookie & Eric. I think it's one of the better twists she put into the books fairly early on. I had read somewhere that she remarked about something she regretted in the books at ComicCon. This must have been it. She also had said she changed something in the most recent book due to pressure from outside forces, which I figured was possibly HBO. I'd love to know what that was, too.
"

message 24: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1103 comments Here are the Saturday panels I attended:

First up was Thrillers: 100 Must Reads with David Morrell, Laura Benedict, Lee Child, & Gayle Lynds. The International Thriller Writers Association will be publishing a book which includes essays by today's biggest thriller writers on thrillers of the past. This panel gave a few sneak peeks. The book will be published next summer and sounds very intriguing.

Next up was The MWA Celebrates Edgar Allan Poe with
Michael Connelly, Sue Grafton, Peter Lovesey, John Lutz, & Sara Paretsky. This was standing room only since it had such heavy hitters on the panel. Connelly had recently edited a book of stories that were inspired by Poe.

After lunch I was off to War Crimes with Suzanne Arruda, James R. Benn, Rebecca Cantrell, the male half of Charles Todd, and Martin Limon.

Finally to end the day I attended The Humor Panel with Alan Gordon, Donna Andrews, Chris Grabenstein, and Harley Jane Kozak which definitely lived up to its title.

message 25: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 13418 comments Marcy:
Re your RIO question on John Lutz's books.
I certainly skipped around and didn't find it a problem but I read them eleven to twelve years ago so not much memory of the nuances of the stories, just a warm memory of enjoying them. Sorry! My book journal starts in 1998 so some dates are lost.
Lutz, John [Kiss:] read 8/31/1998 Audio 9 (1988)
Lutz, John [Lightning:] read 9/5/1998 Library 9 (1996)
Lutz, John [Final Seconds:] read 9/16/1998 Lib 9 (1998)
Lutz, John [Flame:] read 9/23/1998 Audio 9 (NA)
Lutz, John [Blood Fire:] read 11/4/1998 Audio 9 (1991)
Lutz, John [Scorcher:] read 6/5/1999 Audio 7 (1987)

Marcy wrote: "I can't believe I'm asking a non RIO person, but can Lutz be read OOF by a usually compulsive person? My library only has the paperback of his 1st and my eyes rebel at the thought of the fine print. "

message 26: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7247 comments Melodie wrote: "Might be a good locale since I could take in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and I'd never go to Cleveland just to see that. . ..."

Ooh, I forgot about that. Melodie you're brilliant. Now I'm definitely going, and early so i can take that in.

message 27: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments Ann wrote: "Marcy:
Re your RIO question on John Lutz's books.
I certainly skipped around and didn't find it a problem but I read them eleven to twelve years ago so not much memory of the nuances of the stor..."

Thanks, Ann. I enjoyed your description of having warm memories of the books. I seem to remember a lot of books in just that way!

message 28: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1103 comments Back from the last day of Bouchercon. Did not manage to go to any panels today but did participate in the Book Bazaar. Usually when you check in to the conference you get a big bag of free books but this year they decided to give everyone 5 tickets to use at the Bazaar. In theory it might have been a good idea but in reality the execution was a bit haphazard. I guess they did not realize that everyone would line up early and the crowds overwhelmed the spaces between the tables. It was really hard to get around and try to even use the tickets. Cheryl was nice enough to get me [image error] because she remembered me talking about wanting to try his work earlier in the conference. I was able to use my five tickets on Bone Machine A Joe Donovan Thriller (Joe Donovan Mysteries) by Martyn Waites , A Duty to the Dead by Charles Todd , The Wrong Mother A Novel by Sophie Hannah , The Sex Club by L.J. Sellers , and Mama Rides Shotgun A Mace Bauer Mystery by Deborah Sharp

I must admit that most of these authors were on the outside tables so I had easier access to them.

All in all though a fun conference. I really enjoyed meeting Mary and, of course, it was nice seeing Jan and Cheryl again.

message 29: by Cheryl (last edited Oct 18, 2009 03:30PM) (new)

Cheryl | 547 comments I described this experience as "going four wide" in a NASCAR race. Tom Schreck knew I had all of his books, but I told him I would take one for a friend. He personalized it and didn't take a ticket. Same with Rick Mofina with Six Seconds. When I said I already had it, he told me to give it to some for Christmas. I think some of the authors just wanted to get out of the mob.
My freebies were One Hot Mess Lois Greiman, Hardball Barbara D'Amato, Gold Digger, Vicki Delany, The Killing Way, Tony Hays and The Dead Don't Get Out Much by Mary Jane Maffini.

message 30: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 547 comments The Anthony award nominees are selected by the people who are attending
Bouchercon in the current year as well as those who attended the
previous year. The winners were announced yesterday:

Best Novel - The Brass Verdict by Michael Connelly

Best First Novel - The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

Best Paperback Original - State of the Onion by Julie Hyzy

Best Short Story - "A Sleep Not Unlike Death" by Sean Chercover

Best Critical Nonfiction Work - Anthony Boucher: A Biobibliography by
Jeffrey Mark

Best Children's / Young Adult Novel - The Crossroads by Chris
Grabenstein

Best Cover Art - The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Peter Mendelsund by
Stieg Larsson

Special Service Award - Jon and Ruth Jordan

message 31: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3510 comments Cheryl wrote: "I described this experience as "going four wide" in a NASCAR race. Tom Schreck knew I had all of his books, but I told him I would take one for a friend. He personalized it and didn't take a tick..."

This sounds like it was a circus!! Maybe they'll go back to the old way. I liked the fact that you ended up with things in your bag that you might not have ever picked up otherwise.

Mary/Quite Contrary Phillips | 459 comments Hello friends and readers! BCon was the best fun I have had in years! Everytime I turned around I was bumping into another writer...what a thrill.

I'm still getting caught up with work and home life, but will post in a day or two on all of my adventures, the panels, new friends, new authors, great books, and yes, the story of how LEE CHILD BOUGHT ME A LATTE!!!!

Back soon!

message 33: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7247 comments Sandi wrote: "Usually when you check in to the conference you get a big bag of free books but this year they decided to give everyone 5 tickets to use at the Bazaar...."

Yuck, not sure I would have liked this substitution. I still remember Bcon Chicago when we all descended on the room of Jan and her DH and spread our books on their bed, exchanging. I loved getting the bag of what must have been 8 or so books, although I confess I still have most of them here, unread.

message 34: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3370 comments I would think that the old way of getting authors you might not know and possibly getting more books would have been better. Maybe they will see how it went this year and go back to the other way next year. Loved hearing everyone's adventures. Can't wait to hear Mary's. I saw in a month or two older RT that a second Thriller short story book already came out so they must be talking about coming out with another one. I'm thinking maybe I might get the second one out of the library. I had bought the first one and read it with Ann. Some of the stories I enjoyed some were so so.

message 35: by JanG (new)

JanG | 165 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Sandi wrote: "Usually when you check in to the conference you get a big bag of free books but this year they decided to give everyone 5 tickets to use at the Bazaar...."

Yuck, not sure I would hav..."

You know, we all sort of felt the same way. Getting the big bag of books was something we all looked forward to. I too remember spreading them all out. Sandi and I didn't hear any positive comments about the changes this year. Unless they can spread it out more, I don't think it will fly. Plus, many people leave early on Sunday morning - either to start driving or flying out. Normally I do fly out early, but this year was different so I was able to get some books. Otherwise I wouldn't have gotten any. So, I'm sure they will re-think this situation for coming years.

I will start trying to post my reports soon. I'm still slightly recovering from returning home so late.

message 36: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 547 comments One of the reasons given for this gimmick was to keep people here through Sunday morning. It was a decent idea, but it needs to be fine tuned.
I was told that they had a larger room scheduled, but another convention was coming in Sunday and took it over.
The bag of books usually contained books that I already had or wasn't interested in. I kind of liked being able to pick out what I wanted.

message 37: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3370 comments Maybe they should try giving both ways and you pick which you want to do that way people that leave early could still get the bag otherwise you get to pick your own.

message 38: by JanG (last edited Oct 21, 2009 09:24AM) (new)

JanG | 165 comments My day one of Bouchercon - Thursday

My first panel was called Killer Hobbies with: Joanna Campbell Slan (Moderator) scrapbooking, Sally Goldenbaum (knitter), Margaret Grace (miniatures), Beth Groundwater (baskets) and Betty Hechtman (crochet). This was a lighthearted panel and of course their own hobbies are a part of their mysteries. I had never heard of any of them. I think I will try the Beth Groundwater books and Joanna Campbell Slan. At the bazaar I did receive one of the scrapbooking books.

My second panel (not really a panel because it was just one person) was called Crankin''em out: The Edward Stratemeyer Story. This was probably the most informative session I attended. The speaker was Don Bruns. It was fascinating to hear all about the production of many, many series books that this guy, Edward was known for hiring the ghost writers. It was a book-packaging firm, the Stratemeyer Syndicate that he started in 1905. The most well known to all of us would be the Bobbsey Twins, Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, Tom Swift, Happy Hollisters and literally hundreds more. I knew that there wasn't a real Carolyn Keene or Frank W. Dixon, but I didn't know anything about this syndicate.

After lunch I attended the same one Sandi did: Murder, Therapy and Social Work. Elizabeth Zelvin was the Moderator. Also had Margaret Fenton, Lois Greiman, and Roberta Isleib. The moderator sort of hogged the spotlight, but there were some interesting comments from the others. Margaret Fenton has her first book out called Little Lamb Lost that might be good.

Next was Retail Murder with Maggie Sefton (M)knitting, Juliet Blackwell (witchcraft and an art series), Kate Collins (flowershop) and Monica Ferris (Needlepoint). All about how a retail shops are popular for book settings. None of these authors had worked in retail and had to do research and follow shop owners around to try to get it right.

Finally I went to Adaptation with David Montgomery (M), Sean Chercover, Joseph Finder, John Gilstrap, and Paul Guyot. I went to this because I really like Joseph Finder. It was a fun panel and was all about the possibility of getting your book into some kind of film. It's a long drawn out process and we learned what "optioning" was and how even if you're optioned it doesn't mean it will ever make it to screen. It just means they own the rights. I enjoyed this one.

After that I was pooped and went to my room to rest. Then I got a second wind so I managed to go to the Thursday Night Extravaganza which was a talent show over at the Gameworks in the Circle Center Mall. It was lots of musical skits and standup and most of the numbers had cute lines all about blood and murder in a funny sort of way. I'm glad I went. Don Bruns put this on and he is talented in his own right with his guitar. He's kind of a funny guy.

That ends my first day. More later, I hope.

message 39: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3510 comments Sounds like you hit some good panels, Jan! Beth Groundwater is a local author. I've never read her books, tho. I think she's one of my Goodreads friends. The retail panel sounds like a good one. I've read all the authors except for Maggie Sefton. Juliet Blackwell's witchcraft book is one I read this month. It was an okay read. I like Kate Collins flower shop series and used to like Monica Ferris, but decided to pass her up after the one that came out last year.

Mary/Quite Contrary Phillips | 459 comments Hello folks. Finally getting my Bouchercon update posted. I won’t rehash the panels, since I attended many of the same ones that Sandi, Cheryl & Jan have already discussed. Instead, how about some gossip?

I attended on panel where Lee Child was a guest. I’m a big Reacher fan so I asked a question about his character Jack Reacher. Reacher is a former military policeman who doesn't have a home or any possessions except a toothbrush and the clothes on his back. Every few days he buys new clothing and throws out the old. In between, he washes things out in the sink or presses them between the mattress and box spring of his hotel bed. My question was, how was Reacher able to be so "fortunate" with the ladies when he wore his clothes for 3-4 days? He replied with a very cheeky answer:

1) Americans are far too obsessed with bathing
2) the standards in Europe are much different
3) when he was a child he only bathed once a week (his brother Andrew Grant, also on the panel, appeared horrified at that remark)
4) there are millions of people in the UK, so clearly, reproduction is not a problem

He seemed a bit annoyed at the question, but I took his reply as good fun and everyone else seemed to do the same.

The next morning, much to my surprise, Mr. Child himself was the customer next in line at Starbucks. He is about 9 feet tall and has a very commanding presence. I flirted with him shamelessly. He laughed, ordered his coffee and said to the barista, "and whatever Mary is having." Of course, I'm such a goober I then walked the entire hotel telling everyone I met "Lee Child bought my Latte." I was so excited I could hardly breathe. So the question is: did he remember that I was the girl who asked him the impertinent hygiene question or was he just being his usual charming self?

At the airport on the way home I met some folks (an author and an agent) who told me that every year at Bouchercon, Lee Child rents out a club and hosts an amazing party for the authors and lucky invited guests. He is apparently very generous with his time, advice, and in sharing his success. Next year I hope to be invited to that party!!!

I don't read much supernatural and am not familiar with Charlaine Harris' work. Sunday morning I was on line at the package mailing station, with many, many books in arms (so much for my resolve) when a charming little lady behind me complimented my bag. We had a nice chat about bags, who made mine, and where it could be found, etc. The girl behind her let out a gasp and immediately pulled books from her bag asking for her autograph. I had no idea I was telling Charlaine Harris that she could get a great deal on a bag at TJ Maxx. When I got on my plane to go home, she was there, in first class, of course.

Everywhere I went I saw Brett Battles, who wrote The Cleaner and a few other titles. He was so nice and approachable. After I saw him a few times, I started saying in jest "Oh look, it's Brett Battle, The Cleaner!" He would whip his head left and right and say "Where, where?" At some point it got a bit silly because I literally saw the man 5-6 times per day. I felt compelled to mention that I really wasn't stalking him. He thought for a moment, then told me he had never had one and frankly, could use a good, peaceful, benign stalker. Naturally I signed up immediately. I told him I couldn't introduce myself because then he would know who I was, and well, what kind of a stalker would I be if he knew my name? He said, good point, but you might want to take off your name badge...MARY. Anyway, it was big fun and when he signed my copy of The Cleaner, it was signed "To Mary, my Personal Stalker."

On Saturday I was thrilled to have an opportunity to spend an hour (with 9 other fans) with Sue Grafton. She was delightful. Some of the folks in the room were writing and she offered the advice that if you are writing, don't show your work to a writing group or coach. Her point was, if you show your work to someone else, what you are really doing is asking them to take some of the responsibility for it, and as a writer only you can take that responsibility, only you will know if it is right, only you will know if it is good. Good advice, and not just for writers. Of course, I couldn't keep it serious and had to tell her that a McD Quarter Pounder with Cheese has 535 calories and that she was responsible for at least an inch of my hips. [if you don't read Sue Grafton, her main character Kinsey Milhone is a QPC junkie:] She looked at me in horror and said, "Well I can't eat them anymore!" She was lovely and fun and wonderful to talk with. She had her nametag on just like anyone, which I thought was sweet, but I would have known her anywhere! I have a couple pictures I’ll post if I can recover them from the depths of my mystery camera.

Ok, last story. Michael Connelly is my favorite author. His Harry Bosch character feels like an old friend. I just finished Nine Dragons and loved it. MC was the guest of honor and the big event of the conference was a young author named Michael Koryta interviewing Connelly. I sat in the front row of this huge convention hall with thousands of people in attendance. When it was time for questions, people asked very serious things about motivation and setting and character. Since MC was born in Philly (my hometown) and lived in LA for many years, I was interested to know who he liked in the World Series. So I popped up during questions and asked…harrumph, grumble, grumble...Dodger fan.

I’m working on another post of the new (or new to me) authors I discovered and their work. I’ll put that in a separate thread in the next week or two. Hope you enjoyed the BC gossip!

message 41: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3370 comments Mary thanks for sharing. I enjoyed it so much and got a few laughs.

message 42: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments Sounds like great fun, Mary. Thanks for sharing!

message 43: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3370 comments Mary/Quite Contrary wrote: "Hello folks. Finally getting my Bouchercon update posted. I won’t rehash the panels, since I attended many of the same ones that Sandi, Cheryl & Jan have already discussed. Instead, how about som..."

thanks for sharing, mary. sounds like a lot of fun!

Mary/Quite Contrary Phillips | 459 comments One comment about the book give a way. One of the MWA people told me the event was supposed to be run by their charity, an Indiana literacy organization, but they never showed!!! That accounts for at least some of the disorganization. As much as I wanted to give them a break, it was really badly planned and I was near panic on several occasions by the crush of people trying to get to see the authors they wanted. Anyhow, I like the IDEA of choosing the books I wanted to receive...they just need a better PLAN and better EXECUTION. Either that, or MQC will need a couple valium before diving into that pile of humanity again. It was nuts, and unsafe.

message 45: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3510 comments Mary/Quite Contrary wrote: "I don't read much supernatural and am not familiar with Charlaine Harris' work. Sunday morning I was on line at the package mailing station, with many, many books in arms (so much for my resolve) when a charming little lady behind me complimented my bag. We had a nice chat about bags, who made mine, and where it could be found, etc..."

Charlaine Harris has 2 series and some standalones that aren't supernatural at all. One is the Aurora Teagarden series, which I could never get into, and the other is the Lily Bard series. I read 2 of the Lily Bard books. She's an interesting characters. She just got lucky and hit it big with the Sookie Stackhouse books and her name has become well known because of True Blood. I'm a vampire junkie, but I don't see why a person who wasn't all that into supernatural or UF themes couldn't read the Sookie books and like them just for what they are.

message 46: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 13418 comments Mary:
Echoing Melodie - I couldn't get into the Aurora Teagarden books but loved the Lily Bard series and the Sookie books by Charlaine Harris. I highly recommend starting with Lily Bard. I am green with envy that you had that encounter and great casual conversation with Charlaine Harris!

Mary/Quite Contrary wrote: "I don't read much supernatural and am not familiar with Charlaine Harris' work. Sunday morning I was on line at the package mailing station, with many, many books in arma..."
Melodie wrote: "Charlaine Harris has 2 series and some standalones that aren't supernatural at all. One is the Aurora Teagarden series, which I could never get into, and the other is the Lily Bard series. "

message 47: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 13418 comments Mary -
Loved your comments about the authors and your most fun sounding experiences at B'Con! Priceless!

Mary/Quite Contrary Phillips | 459 comments Thanks for the C Harris tips: I dl'd the first Lily Bard and Aurora Teagarden's on my kindle.

Melodie: I go through phases in reading, and I previously went through a vampire period where I read everything I could find. I loved Ann Rice and her work, right up until the moment that Tom Cruise was cast as Lestat...ich. He ruined it for me.

message 49: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3510 comments Mary/Quite Contrary wrote: "Thanks for the C Harris tips: I dl'd the first Lily Bard and Aurora Teagarden's on my kindle.

Melodie: I go through phases in reading, and I previously went through a vampire period where I ..."

How true! He was SO not Lestat! I read somewhere that there is talk about reviving the Vampire Chronicles books as a movie franchise and possibly casting Robert Downey, Jr as Lestat. That would definitely be a step up from Tom Cruise!

Mary/Quite Contrary Phillips | 459 comments Homer Simpson would be an improvement on Tom Cruise.

« previous 1