Cozy Mystery Corner discussion

Cozy Q & A > What role does the 'Book Title' play in influencing your reading decisions?

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Ramla Zareen Ahmad | 176 comments Sometimes, a 'Book Title' can be intriguing enough to entice people to read the entire story...!

Anyway, I thought that it might be fun to:

--discuss how much a 'Book Title' can influence us to either read or avoid a certain book...

--share our favourite 'Cozy Mystery' titles... 

--and specify the titles that tempted us to read, or at least, motivated us to find out more about, those books...! :-)

message 2: by Ramla Zareen (last edited May 18, 2015 01:47AM) (new)

Ramla Zareen Ahmad | 176 comments While some particularly interesting titles like:

Glazed Murder, Fatally FrostedSinister SprinklesEvil Eclairs, Tragic Toppings, Killer Crullers, Drop Dead Chocolate...  

...might tempt me to try to discover more about those books, but with so many talented authors frequently providing wonderful books and the various responsibilities of life making reading time limited ...an appealing title alone cannot entice me to read the book...!

Especially, in case of Cozy Mysteries, I try to do some research before getting involved in a certain series.

Moreover, an unappealing title won't prevent me from starting a series if I think that I will enjoy it ...and once involved, nor will it prevent me from reading the next book in that series...!

In any case, there are other factors, like, writing, humour, mystery plot, story, characters, romance, setting, ambience, and potential reading enjoyment etc that play a far more important role in helping me decide whether to read or avoid a certain book.

For example, the titles that I mentioned above are from a series whose books I still haven't read, mainly because, even though the titles appeal very much to me, and the books are in my TBR list, but according to my research so far, this series is somewhat lacking in few of the other factors that are much more essential for me than a title...!

Still, I do delight in clever titles ...and there are many Cozy Mystery series, whose interesting titles enhance my reading enjoyment...! :-)

For example:

1) Jane Jeffry Mystery Series By Jill Churchill

Starting from: Grime and Punishment, A Farewell to Yarns, A Quiche Before Dying, The Class Menagerie,  A Knife to Remember, ...War and Peas, ...A Midsummer Night's Scream...

2) Flower Shop Mystery Series by Kate Collins

Starting from: Mum's the Word, Slay It With Flowers, Dearly Depotted, Snipped in the Bud, Acts of Violets, ...To Catch a Leaf, ...Seed No Evil, ...A Root Awakening...

3) Domestic Bliss Mystery Series by Leslie Caine

Starting from: Death by Inferior Design, False Premises, Manor of Death, Killed by Clutter, ...Poisoned by Gilt...

4) White House Chef Mystery Series by Julie Hyzy

Starting from: State of the Onion, Hail to the Chef, Eggsecutive Orders, Buffalo West Wing, Affairs of Steak, Fonduing Fathers...

5) Book Collector Mystery Series By Victoria Abbott (I haven't started this series yet but it is in my TBR list)

Starting from: The Christie Curse, The Sayers Swindle, The Wolfe Widow , The Marsh Madness...

Few more Mystery books whose titles intrigued me:

1) A Murder Is Announced by Agatha Christie

2) Why Shoot a Butler? by Georgette Heyer

3) Death On Demand by Carolyn G. Hart

message 3: by Ramla Zareen (last edited Mar 18, 2015 01:30AM) (new)

Ramla Zareen Ahmad | 176 comments I would like to add, that while I usually find the titles with desert themes particularly appealing, but the titles in "Hannah Swensen Mystery Series" fail to intrigue me ...because I feel they are somewhat lacking in creativity ...as only the word 'murder' is added in front of the desserts' name:

Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder, Strawberry Shortcake Murder, Blueberry Muffin Murder, Lemon Meringue Pie Murder...

Whereas the titles in the "Donut Shop Mystery Series":

Glazed Murder, Fatally Frosted, Sinister Sprinkles, Evil Eclairs...

...as well as the titles in the "Cupcake Bakery Mystery Series":

Sprinkle with Murder, Buttercream Bump Off, Death by the Dozen, Red Velvet Revenge...

...not only reflect the dessert theme of the stories, but it's also obvious that some imagination is used while creating them ...and this is what I especially appreciate about Cozy Mystery titles...! :-)

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Barr | 21 comments I loved the title A Sheetcake Named Desire, which prompted me to read the book, but I'm not planning to continue the series. I do love the punny titles. The bigger the groan factor, the more likely I am to look it up.

message 5: by ❂ Jennifer (new)

❂ Jennifer  (jennevans) I'm a sucker for the puns too, although they make my husband groan every time he sees them. :)

Some favorites:
We'll Always Have Parrots
Grime and Punishment
Silence of the Hams
War and Peas

message 6: by Christine (new)

Christine | 63 comments Too bad there isn't a LIKE button on GR, because totally like what Ramla said above. :-)

message 7: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Ramla Zareen Ahmad | 176 comments Christine wrote: "Too bad there isn't a LIKE button on GR, because totally like what Ramla said above. :-)"

Thanks Christine...! :-)

message 8: by Karen (new)

Karen (xKAMx) | 273 comments Titles are the biggest draw for me--after the author, that is. Nothing makes me pick up a book by a new-to-me author than a clever title, especially one that's a play on words.

Daryl Wood Gerber's Cheese Shop Mysteries all have clever titles that play on words -- **The Long Quiche Goodbye **Lost and Fondue **Clobbered by Camembert **To Brie or Not To Brie **Days of Wine and Roquefort **As Gouda as Dead.

For as many as there are, Mary Daheim's Bed and Breakfast Mysteries are good, too. There are too many to list, but a few: Just Desserts ** Fowl Prey ** Fit of Tempera ** Major Vices ** Murder, My Suite ** Auntie Mayhem ** Legs Benedict ** Creeps Suzette ** A Streetcar Named Expire ** This Old Souse ** The Wurst Is Yet To Come ** Here Comes the Bribe.

I like Annette Blair' Vintage Magic Mysteries, too -- A Veiled Deception ** Larceny and Lace ** Death by Diamonds ** Skirting the Grave ** Cloaked in Malice ** Tulle Death Do Us Part ** A Veiled Deception ** Larceny and Lace ** Death by Diamonds ** Skirting the Grave ** Cloaked in Malice ** Tulle Death Do Us Part.

I could go on and on... Most cozies use clever wordplay. However, I don't mind plain titles, too (The Ghost and...; The Alpine...; Murder can...; etc.)

If I've read an author, I don't much care about the title because I know the book will be good (or not???). If it's iffy, I'll still read the blurb and/or a few pages to see if I want to read.

message 9: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Ramla Zareen Ahmad | 176 comments Just remembered few more titles that I would like to share here:

"Den Of Antiquity Mystery Series" by Tamar Myers (It's been a while since I last read a book in this series so I forgot to mention it before...)

Some examples:
--Larceny and Old Lace
--Gilt By Association
--So Faux, So Good
--A Penny Urned
--Nightmare in Shining Armor
--Tiles and Tribulations
--Poison Ivory
--The Glass is Always Greener

"Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery Series" by Tamar Myers (Haven't started this series as yet but the titles are very creative...!)

Some examples:
--Too Many Crooks Spoil the Broth
--No Use Dying Over Spilled Milk
--Just Plain Pickled to Death
--Between a Wok and a Hard Place
--Eat, Drink, and Be Wary
--The Hand That Rocks the Ladle
--The Crepes of Wrath
--Gruel and Unusual Punishment
--Hell Hath No Curry

Anyway, hope you enjoy :-)

message 10: by Mark (new)

Mark Baker (Carstairs38) | 356 comments There is no such thing as a bad pun, so a great pun would inspire me to at least pick up the book and see if I was interested in it. Sadly, there just isn't enough time to read all the books I'd like to based on the good punny titles out there.

message 11: by Nell (last edited Mar 22, 2015 04:45AM) (new)

Nell | 1983 comments Mod
I enjoy clever titles especially when they tie into the theme of the cozy series. Jenn McKinlay's Hat Shop series and her Library Lovers series are good examples of that with these titles: Cloche and Dagger and Due or Die.

A play on words in the title happens a lot in the cozy mystery genre. It doesn't influence my decision to read the book.

@ Gail - Kate Collins has asked readers for book title suggestions in her Flower Shop series and used one or two of them.

message 12: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (RDouglass) | 177 comments I think the play on words almost feels like a requirement in titling a cosy. It certainly is a marker that this mystery is not "serious" and gory.

And I'm a fan of puns, so they do catch my eye.

message 13: by Penny (new)

Penny (Veteran1976) | 128 comments Quite a bit actually. If the title is interesting, it will at least get me to read the summary, etc. But sometimes the title doesn't seem to fit the book whatsoever.

message 14: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Barr | 21 comments I love the Crepes of Wrath. Classic.

message 15: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (Rainstar76) The book title is important when it comes to a new series or new (to me) author's works. A title can help alert me to a series I might be interested in (e.g. dessert series, book series, food series, or some crafting series). If it's someone I'm already familiar with, the titles don't really matter. I can appreciate a good play on words or something of that nature, particularly with cozies, but it's not necessary to get me to read it.

message 16: by Ana (new)

Ana (MomtoMandJ) | 32 comments I love word pun titles.

message 17: by MadameZelda (new)

MadameZelda | 261 comments Big time does it make a difference.

I would totally ignore a long and dumb title, i.e., The hairy skank who wore see-through neon thongs. Some titles are turn offs.

Somehow the less number of words, the better, especially one-word titles attract me.

message 18: by Amaya (new)

Amaya | 14 comments it depends. if its a really far fetched and crazy title like the one MadameZelda mentioned then i would bypass it. but if it had a really weird title AND the description actually sounded really good and interested me then i would at least give it a chance

message 19: by Gayla (new)

Gayla Glass (GaylaHambyGlass) The title doesn't draw me in as much as the cover. I am bad to judge a book by its cover and grab it before I read the synopsis. I have picked some stinkers and some that might have made be blush and delete from my kindle that way ;)

message 20: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (MsThestral) Like Gayla, I'm far more likely to pick up a book and read the blurb if it has a catchy cover. The title has very little effect on my decision on whether to get a book or not.

message 21: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (NancyJCohen) | 37 comments I am attracted to witty titles because I like stories with humor.

message 22: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (RDouglass) | 177 comments Nancy wrote: "I am attracted to witty titles because I like stories with humor."

Exactly. And I'm attracted to covers that seem to promise certain things. I used to really kick about the "judging a book by the cover" idea, but it's reality. Things catch our eye and make us pick up a book. Can't get anywhere with blurb or even title if the person doesn't pick it up at all.

message 23: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (Rainstar76) There have been a few times that I've picked up books just because the title grabs my attention. Most recently, The Thief Who Pulled on Trouble's Braids. I haven't started it yet as I'm in the middle of a couple books already but I downloaded the e-book.

message 24: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (RDouglass) | 177 comments Valerie, that is a title that would make me pick it up!

message 25: by Laurette (new)

Laurette Good titles definitely help attract my attention to a book. Same with good covers. You may not be able to judge a whole book by those things, but they can initially draw me in!

message 26: by Tina (new)

Tina | 162 comments Valerie wrote: "The book title is important when it comes to a new series or new (to me) author's works. A title can help alert me to a series I might be interested in (e.g. dessert series, book series, food serie..."

I agree totally with you Laurette!

message 27: by Tina (last edited Oct 25, 2015 09:24PM) (new)

Tina | 162 comments I like covers of all the genres. They are incredible. I could look at it for a few minutes before I even pick up the book. Paranormal book covers are really incredible!

And I love books with cat titles and covers!

message 28: by Lacy (new)

Lacy | 21 comments Title and book covers are what initially attract me. But, I won't buy a book based on that. The summary has to be interesting