The Little Prince The Little Prince discussion

Books like this is one in a life time thing

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gaurav (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:59AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gaurav Singh Probably, because there are two greatest of all time books : The little Prince and The Catcher in the Rye.

In both the cases, the authors did not write ne other book which were known.

But these were good enough for them to be remembered for a long time to come, not saying that they wanted to be remembered ;)

Heidi I read an English translation of this book when I was very young and later read the original in high school... it was a haunting tale which remains near the top of my children's literature favorites. I think every child should have to read it once.

message 3: by Lia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lia Jacobson When I was twelve, I was reading things like Nancy Drew and Harry Potter. Books clearly written for pleasure and entertainment. I was at the library... And I saw a copy of The Little Prince. At first, I really didn't know what it was, and I actually thought it looked kind of silly. But nonetheless, I picked it up and started to read.
Now, at the age of twelve, I was starting to feel like less of a child and more of a "young adult". I didn't know what I was.
The Little Prince was absolutley lovely. It focuses on the author's fascination of how children and adults see things so differently. And where I was in life, this fascinated me too. So this book was love at first sight for me. And love at first sentence.
It wasn't a sonnet, but it was poetic.

message 4: by Ruth (new) - rated it 1 star

Ruth Books like this is one in a life time thing.

Thank goodness. The world needs fewer platitudinous natterings.

MariЯna Yordanova I am not sure exactly what is meant by Books like this is one in a life time thing, but I am sure that this book should be read at least three times in order to be completely understood - once when you are young (a teenager maybe), again when you are an adult (25/35) and the third time is when you are old (over 55). This is not a book for children, though it looks like one. It is a great book, every time I read it, I find a new point that I haven't understood before...I just can't stop reading it.

Donna ...wonderful book! My favorite quote : "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."

Antoine St. de Exupery is someone I would love to have known.

Jennifer it takes a whole different meaning when you read it twice or thrice in a lifetime. I loved it all the times I read it

message 8: by Jacqueline (last edited Jan 31, 2015 08:44AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jacqueline Other great book is The Knight in Rusty Armor, you should read it

Sarah I agree with you on this book, although other greatest books ever could be up for debate ;)

I think this is certainly one of the best works for children besides Winnie-the-Pooh (which is, of course, fantastic for different reasons); the main reason is because it never assumes that children know less than adults (aka treats them stupid). Besides that, it's just an enchanting story, almost ethereal.