Book Haven discussion

What makes your reading experience more enjoyable: quality writing or a good story?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ramla Zareen (last edited Aug 06, 2015 01:40AM) (new)

Ramla Zareen Ahmad | 70 comments For some people the story concept and the story plotting carries more weight than the story execution, that is, the writing style, ...while others can ignore the flaws in the story itself but are bored with monotonous writing and irritated when there are continuity issues and numerous typing, spelling and grammatical mistakes. 

I thought that it might be interesting to discuss how much bad writing, typing errors, spelling inaccuracies and grammatical mistakes influence our reading enjoyment ...and to mention whether it is the quality of the writing or a good story that is more important for us

message 2: by Groovy (new)

Groovy Lee | 4 comments For me, it's the quality of writing. If it's good, then even if it's about the alphabet, it would be enjoyable to read. You can't really enjoy a story if the grammar is poor, a lot of misspelled words, the sentences aren't put together constructively, things like that; then the story is too annoying to enjoy. But, that's just me.

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim Vuksic | 90 comments The combination of a working knowledge of and adherence to basic technical writing rules, along with a compelling narration style, make for a pleasant reading experience,

A book that is technically well written, yet boring or one that is rife with incorrect punctuation, bad grammar, misspelled words, and improper syntax are turn-offs to most readers.

message 4: by Sonya (new)

Sonya madden | 440 comments Quality writing and interesting plot that moves

message 5: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 21 comments I cannot separate the two. That's probably why I have difficulty finding books that I love. I am a voracious reader, but in truth, most of what I read are lacking in one regard or the other. If the story is good, the writing is poor, etc. So, when I do give a book four (4) stars,...it's good, in my opinion.

message 6: by Anthony (new)

Anthony North | 5 comments A good story every time. There are plenty of good writers, but an excellent storyteller is a rarity.

message 7: by Kate-Lynn (new)

Kate-Lynn | 3 comments If I had to pick between the two I would pick quality of writing. There have been several books I've been unable to finish because I thought the writing was so bad I couldn't get any further. And these books have been your main stream New York Times best seller kind of books.
I like writing that challenges my brain and expands my knowledge more then a fast food story.

message 8: by Chris (new)

Chris (bibliophile85) | 26 comments “There are books full of great writing that don't have very good stories. Read sometimes for the story... don't be like the book-snobs who won't do that. Read sometimes for the words--the language. Don't be like the play-it-safers who won't do that. But when you find a book that has both a good story and good words, treasure that book.” - Stephen King

This quote sums up my philosophy on the matter perfectly.

message 9: by Mike (new)

Mike Robbins (MikeRobbins) | 5 comments A good story can transcend bad writing - especially with sci-fi and fantasy, where a really good idea can take the reader a long way. But if the idea and plot isn't up to it, very good prose isn't going to save the book. It'll still be boring. So I'll go for story. Even so, I think far too many books are being published nowadays where the tradecraft (sentence structure, pacing, dialogue etc.) is lacking; these things do also matter.

message 10: by Mariel (new)

Mariel Grey | 125 comments Chris wrote: "“There are books full of great writing that don't have very good stories. Read sometimes for the story... don't be like the book-snobs who won't do that. Read sometimes for the words--the language...."

Ditto

Olivia "Don't Blame Me I Voted for Hillary" | 140 comments Anthony wrote: "A good story every time. There are plenty of good writers, but an excellent storyteller is a rarity."

I'm with Anthony. If the plot of a book doesn't grab me it doesn't matter how good the writing is.

message 12: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Waltz (AndreaWaltz) | 3 comments Love this question. A poorly written book with mistakes and bad grammar will pull you out of a story just like a movie with a flickering screen will make you crazy and ruin the experience. Having said that, ultimately, we believe it is all about the story, the characters, and keeping things moving.

message 13: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Ramla Zareen Ahmad | 70 comments For me one of the most important thing in a book is for the writing to be addictive, engrossing, polished, decent, appealing, entertaining and witty. 

In my experience, if the book fails to retain my attention and interest, and does not provide me pleasure, then usually it is not a problem with the story, but it is the way the story is written, that makes it boring.

No matter how unique the idea is, but if it's written in a dull and monotonous way then it fails to make for an enjoyable read. On the other hand, even an average story can come across as entertaining to me if the writing style is wonderful.

Also, in my opinion, characters are usually as vital as the story, as it's important to get mentally and emotionally involved not just with the story itself but also with the people living that story, and good characterisation depends on good writing skills. 

Moreover, while I can usually manage to suspend belief if the storyline is somewhat flawed and unrealistic, but it's difficult not to get distracted when there are too many writing inconsistencies, continuity issues, typing errors, spelling inaccuracies and grammatical mistakes.

Of course, an ideal situation would be that both the writing and the story be excellent. 

Especially, when I consider the genre of "Mystery" then I think that the story concept and the story plotting play as important role as the story execution, that is, the writing.

However, I have read several "Romance" books by various authors that contained similar story plots but the way the different authors executed, that is, wrote, the stories, made a tremendous difference in my level of enjoyment of those books. 

So if I have to chose between the two, then I would have to say that it is the quality of the writing, rather than a good story, that contributes in making  my overall reading experience enjoyable.