The Secret Life of Bees The Secret Life of Bees discussion

The Secret Life of Bees

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Emma What did you guys think which character was the most interesting in the Secret life of Bees?

Ilze August.
Probably because I'd love to have someone like her chat to me one day!

Susan I've always had a love/hate relationship with bees and honey so I was fascinated with the descriptions of how the honey was collected etc.

The bonds the young girl makes with the women were wonderful. I think the power of women came through but more the message that color is not what determines our goodness, but rather that which is inside. These were wonderful women.

Yona Yurwit I loved all three of the sisters. August is someone I'd like to have on my side, but I could relate to May.

message 5: by Ruby (new) - rated it 1 star

Ruby Hollyberry Some good themes, but boy the writing sucked. A rough first draft! Somebody needed to edit this, and somebody should have rewritten it a few times based on an editor's suggestions. It's criminal to let writers embarrass themselves like that because they haven't had any help.

Alma Irving I really liked the way this woman went about teaching this young girl about the bees and made it relate to humans. I liked this book.

Franknannie I like the way August takes Lily in and cares for her. She teaches her about life and the bees at the same time, and yet gives her room to figure things out on her own as well. She doesn't force Lily to tell her story, but rather builds a relationship with her and lets her story come out as Lily is ready.

Francesca Franknannie wrote: "I like the way August takes Lily in and cares for her. She teaches her about life and the bees at the same time...

I agree. It seems that throughout the entire book August shows unconditional love for Lily. I though this book was amazing!

Vanessa I thought that Lily was the most interesting character in this book because she had such a hard life with killing her mother and all accidently she hates herself for it,through time she pulls through finding friends,courage and learning to let go of the past and move into the future.A truly remarkable character.

message 10: by Lily (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lily Lamb Lily. With all her story's she won the contest for me!!!

Summer Sterling I started keeping bees a year ago, well after I'd read the book (which I enjoyed). I want to read it again and see how the "wisdom" changes or deepens since I know more about bees.

message 12: by Emma (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emma Debruyne May, she was so sweet and we both have the same problem: we care too much.

message 13: by Nora (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nora I admired August. I smile when she explains why the house is painted pink. All characters were interesting. The support shared by the black Mary group is great. I loved this book!

message 14: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa I really liked this book but the movie was terrible.

Ladonna I did not care for the movie as well, but I did enjoy the book. I liked all the characters in this book, but if I had to chose it would probably be August.

August had words of wisdom.

message 16: by pics&books (new) - added it

pics&books I would love to have an August in my life. It would have to August.

Merry August was my favorite...she was a wise and wonderful woman.

message 18: by Melody (new) - added it

Melody Missed the movie on tonight! :(

message 19: by Nora (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nora A good feeling: Our 24yr old daughter called. "Whatcha reading?" She replied, "Secret Life of Bees and so far, I really like it." Way back she & I had watched the movie. I usually want to read the book first, but this time it worked out just right.

Masha The characters were all interesting, extremely vivid, and believable. I loved the characters of Lily, August and Rosaleen (I think she was my favourite!).

message 21: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Melody wrote: "Missed the movie on tonight! :("

The movie was terrible. IMO. I loved the book though!

Malour August Boatright. She's so warm and understanding. I love her words of wisdom.

Geoffrey Don´t be so hasty in trashing to movie. It did the book justice. The father´s part was the most demanding of the actors skills and he pulled it off excellently. I vote him the best of an incredible acting cast.
I liked May the most, although it was such a squeaker in terms who was the favorite. At times I was veering to June, a real feisty firebrand. I would have loved to see her in real life take down some good ole southern boy characters.

Tessa Lily and Rosaleen.

Sarah Melody wrote: "Missed the movie on tonight! :("

There is a movie?