Cats discussion

Books > Anyone here know of a fiction book about a cat?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 171 (171 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Karen & Gerard (new)

Karen & Gerard (wwwgoodreadscomprofilekzemek) | 8 comments I know about several dog stories that are fiction, but can't think of any about cats. Are there any that anyone would recommend. (The only one I can think of is "Cat in the Hat" by Dr. Seuss)

message 2: by Susanne (new)

Susanne (susannesaville) My favorite is Captain Kidd's Cat by Robert Lawson.

It's the story of the "pirate" Captain Kidd as told through the eyes of his pet cat.

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer (kristathekrazykataloguer) | 7 comments I've added some to the group's bookshelf. When I have more time, I will add lots more!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Toes! It's really good.

message 5: by Winnie (new)

Winnie (winnieh) | 1 comments The first set of books I think about is the Lillian Jackson Braun series, "The Cat Who...", but my all-time favorite is the series by Shirley Rousseau Murphy where the detectives in the mystery are actually a very smart cat named Joe Grey and his feline girlfriend. Try going to Google and search for "fiction, cat mysteries".

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer (kristathekrazykataloguer) | 7 comments Check out the group's bookshelves. I and others have added a bunch of cat books for your reading pleasure. Some are children's, some are adult, but all are good. I forgot about the Shirley Rousseau Murphy and Lillian Jackson Braun mysteries. Don't forget Carol Douglas Nelson as well. I'll be adding more good ones as I find them. Enjoy!

message 7: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimbourner) | 2 comments I enjoy Carole Nelson Douglas, Lilian Jackson Braun, Lori Copeland, and other mystery books involving cats.

message 8: by Kaghos (new)

Kaghos | 4 comments try the " cat who " books

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

The time cat is awesome.

message 10: by Ingrid (last edited Nov 06, 2008 06:36PM) (new)

Ingrid | 1 comments Try the Warrior Cat series! By Erin Hunter(it's actually a combination of three authors. The first book is Into the Wild Warriors Book One . It's about a house cat who wanders the forest beyond the fence of his home. He then discovers clans of wild cats that roamed the forest who lived by their ancestors and the Warrior code.The clans had lived here for generation, but Shadowclan are hungry for more... If you love suspense, friendship, trust, and of course cats. This is definitely a great book about cat fiction, and fantasy.

message 11: by Kaghos (new)

Kaghos | 4 comments

have you tried Rita Mae Brown & Sneaky pie brown
series?

message 12: by Pitterpat (new)

Pitterpat | 1 comments Has anyone read "Dewey" by Vicki Myron? It is a story of a cat that lives in a library in Spencer, IA. I just got my book and look forward to reading it.

message 13: by Eileen (new)

Eileen | 1 comments It's not fiction. I actually just purchased the book also, haven't started yet but its on my list.

message 14: by Christa (new)

Christa (tritta) | 2 comments I loved the book. I am pretty sure if you love cats, you will love this book.

message 15: by Carol (new)

Carol | 2 comments I just finished the first book in a new cat-related cozy mystery series: The Cat, The Quilt and The Corpse A Cats in Trouble Mystery by Leann Sweeney. I have mixed feelings about it, but I liked the cats. And I'll probably read the next book in the series.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Spy cat is a good one if you like mystery books, WARRIORS RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 17: by Deeken (new)

Deeken You aren't even getting the little taste of warriors. there is

Into the Wild
Fire and Ice
Forest of Secrets
Rising Storm
A Dangerous Path
The Final Hour

Then in the second series there is

Midnight
Moonrise
Dawn
Starlight
Twilight
Sunset

Then in the third series

The sight
Dark River
Outcast
Eclipse
Long Shadows
Sunrise.

then there are the Manga series which are at different periods in between the books. I don't think the manga's are as good as the regular series though.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm on Eclipse!

message 19: by Deeken (new)

Deeken cool. I just finished Sunrise.

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahthedeaf) | 2 comments uhh Time Cat anyone? By Lloyd Alexander I'm pretty sure, I'll add it onto the bookshelf.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

LOVE that book.

message 22: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (godragons) | 2 comments I Love the Warriors Series. I am on Eclipse. GO WARRIORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 23: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (godragons) | 2 comments I've read Time Cat! It's a pretty good book.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Hannah wrote: "I Love the Warriors Series. I am on Eclipse. GO WARRIORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

same here

message 26: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (alley1) | 11 comments Pitterpat wrote: "Has anyone read "Dewey" by Vicki Myron? It is a story of a cat that lives in a library in Spencer, IA. I just got my book and look forward to reading it."

Just finished this book and loved it! I am a writer with three cats of my own and my books contain cat stories, but are not exclusively about cats. I hope you liked Dewey as much as I did. Saw some unkind reviews on it and thought what a shame. Did those reviewers really know either cats or books?

Lol...Naruto Rocks! (Katelyn, Haku.) | 9 comments I'm reading Dewey...I don't like how it's mostly about the author though.

message 28: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (alley1) | 11 comments Don't Mess With Me!(Katelyn) wrote: "I'm reading Dewey...I don't like how it's mostly about the author though."

Just my opinion as a writer, but stories need more than one character, and there is only one cat in this story, so we need to hear about the author. Still, it is her job to make readers care about her as well as Dewey. Do you think maybe she hasn't managed that?

message 30: by Terri (new)

Terri Cabral (TerriCabral) | 34 comments Just curious...does this sound like something people would read?

What if a twenty-year old house cat could tell her life story? “The Tale of Thisbe – An Extraordinary Cat” is the biography of a spunky house cat.

Thisbe’s life begins in a small room in Hartford, Connecticut and as her curiosity about the outside world grows her adventures begin. Ana, an aspiring actress, adopts Thisbe and introduces her to other pets and their people. With her gregarious personality, Thisbe even manages to befriend street savvy city pigeons that flock to the ledge outside her favorite apartment window.

Ana leaves Thisbe with her Aunt Belinda for a ‘short’ while but eight years pass. Thisbe’s life changes as she meets and speaks with ghosts, gophers, birds, squirrels, turtles, and ducks. Thisbe learns of life, love and death as she makes and loses dear friends. Just as she feels she can’t experience any more drama, she is taken from Belinda’s house and flown to Michigan to be reunited with Ana.

Thisbe’s adventures begin anew. She meets wild turkeys, an eagle, a cockatoo, and a parrot. She is kidnapped by a mean-spirited boy who puts her life in danger, stars on stage in a play and finds a new best friend in the form of a Cocker Spaniel named Duchess.

Thisbe’s life comes full circle when Ana returns home and moves into Belinda’s house after the elderly woman passes away. Thisbe is back in her old home but it’s not the same place she left those many years ago. Time has altered her familiar neighborhood. Changes also occur when Ana brings her future husband home with a new cat. Thisbe’s life turns upside down again as she deals with unforeseen circumstances. Once more she has to leave her familiar home, adjust to more animals in her life and all during her senior years.

It's a synopsis of my book I am working on.

message 32: by Terri (new)

Terri Cabral (TerriCabral) | 34 comments There is another book about a cat that was given to me when I was 6 years old but I've read it recently again. It's called "The Stouthearted Cat" and it inspired me to write about my cat, Thisbe (pronounced Tizbee).

message 33: by Summer Rhiann (new)

Summer Rhiann Theis (summer_rhiann) | 1 comments try warriors by Erin Hunter (all about house cats living in clans in the wild and fighting and hunting) www.warriorcats.com

message 34: by Socksnbuttons (new)

Socksnbuttons | 2 comments Cleo by Helen Brown

message 35: by Socksnbuttons (new)

Socksnbuttons | 2 comments Cleo by Helen Brown

Helen Brown wasn't a cat person, but her nine-year-old son Sam was. So when Sam heard a woman telling his mum that her cat had just had kittens, Sam pleaded to go and see them.

Helen's heart melted as Sam held one of the kittens in his hands with a look of total adoration. In a trice the deal was done - the kitten would be delivered when she was big enough to leave her mother.

A week later, Sam was dead. Not long after, a little black kitten was delivered to the grieving family. Totally traumatised by Sam's death, Helen had forgotten all about the new arrival. After all, that was back in another universe when Sam was alive.

Helen was ready to send the kitten back, but Sam's younger brother wanted to keep her, identifying with the tiny black kitten who'd also lost her brothers. When Rob stroked her fur, it was the first time Helen had seen him smile since Sam's death. There was no choice: the kitten - dubbed Cleo - had to stay.

Kitten or not, there seemed no hope of becoming a normal family. But Cleo's zest for life slowly taught the traumatised family to laugh. She went on to become the uppity high priestess of Helen's household, vetoing her new men, terrifying visiting dogs and building a special bond with Rob, his sister Lydia, Helen - and later a baby daughter.

message 36: by Traci (new)

Traci (Traci37643) | 1 comments Nine Lives to Murder Bruce F. Murphy
A Shakespearean actor survives a murder attempt to find himself in the body of the company cat. A simple, fun read.

message 37: by Abby (new)

Abby Gibson (abbstagirl) | 3 comments Theres's a book called Toey, but it is really small, a good book though.

message 38: by Ami (new)

Ami (amimikat) what about the warriors series?

message 39: by Abby (new)

Abby Gibson (abbstagirl) | 3 comments I am really looking forward to reading the warriors series - but the library is taking forever to get them in, the 2nd and 4th books of the 1st series are in, but I still am waiting for the 1st 3rd 5th and 6th ones. Grr I am becoming impatient!!!

message 40: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Hoopes | 2 comments Catch the Cat (ebook)
available here
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/...

50% discount coupon code: ED82W

message 41: by Jena (new)

Jena (outlanderfan74) I LOVED a book called
The House of Thirty Cats by Mary Calhoun

It was my favorite as a little girl, but I recently read again, and not even adulthood could make this book lose its magic!

message 42: by Lee (new)

Lee | 1 comments Abby you should look into buying the boxsets-they're not too much on Amazon and they're more convenient than finding them at the library xP

I'm lucky my kid brother's school had them all, so I could read them.

message 43: by Lori (new)

Lori (summerrain03) | 1 comments Lillian Jackson Braun writes some books with two siamese cats in her series,Coco and Yumyum.And Rita Mae Brown has several cats in her sweetie pie Brown series,Mrs Murphy and Pewter.

message 44: by Birch (last edited Aug 27, 2010 03:15PM) (new)

Birch Rosemary (JuneBirch) | 1 comments I'd love some feedback about my own partial cat book.. in fact, there is a copiousness of cats.. but I'm not giving more than that away ! Why write a story and then tell everyone what it is. Suffice to say that a small cat brings a whole community together at their time of need. This is Christian family fiction, not about people who necessarily fit the stereotypical role, just people who look out for each other. Please put up with the first couple of chapters.. I was writing my way in. "Where The Fox Goes." basic pdf ebook from http://www.insideoutsider.co.uk The rest of the site is about teenagers in a post nuclear setting... so don't be confused! That's the school library book from the future.

message 45: by Regine (new)

Regine Not Wanted On The Voyage by Timothy Findley.

It is a twisted retelling of Noah's Ark from the perspective of Mrs. Noah's cat, Mottle. Really great book.

message 46: by Rahma (new)

Rahma Krambo (rahmakrambo) | 15 comments I have created an online Amazon store called Guardian Cats which includes a wide selection of books I've hand picked for both children and adults. It has fiction and non-fiction books, gorgeous photographic books, as well as heartwarming and true stories about amazing cats. There's also a selection of books for understanding and caring for your cat. Oh, and cat calendars too!

You'll see the old favorites, new titles, a few hidden gems, plus a special e-Cats section for Kindle lovers.

I'm also writing a middle grade fiction book with cats as the main characters, so I hope to be posting that here in the near future!
In the meantime, come and browse the Guardian Cats Bookstore.
http://astore.amazon.com/guarcats-20

message 47: by Laika (new)

Laika | 7 comments I'm currently working on a huge graphic novel (maybe a series) abou threee or four cats who are stranded in the aftermath of a huricane and trying to survive. It will be from their point of view, and I'm hoping to make it very good! Oh, yeah, and I also submitted a cat threadless shirt design i'm still working on. Search the username 'shadow kittycat' and look at my designs!

message 48: by Raggedyann (new)

Raggedyann | 2 comments I've enjoyed the Joe Gray Mysteries by Shirley Rousseau Murphy as well as Tne Cat Who series.

message 49: by Terri (new)

Terri Cabral (TerriCabral) | 34 comments http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/...

Here's my NEW book in eBook formats for your your Kindle, iPad, Smartphones & computers

"The Tale of Thisbe - An Extraordinary Cat" by Terri Cabral is available for purchase. Download a sample and read it. I have a coupon - CV44B - that takes 20% off the promotional price of $5.99.

The Tale of Thisbe – an Extraordinary Cat by Terri Cabral takes the reader on an exciting journey into the life of an amazing house cat. The tale chronicles eight years in the life of a spunky, little cat named Thisbe. She experiences many adventures, some hardships, unusual friendships with an assortment of animals and a unique learning experience with a resident ghost.

message 50: by Jaycee (new)

Jaycee | 1 comments My daughter has been bringing home the "Bad Kitty" series books which are short but absolutely hilarious. They are great cat books for kids who are less enthused about reading, and even better for those of us who love cats. (Bad Kitty Takes a Bath is my own cat personified!)

« previous 1 3 4