Serves 4

INGREDIENTS

6 oz bittersweet chocolate
1/3 C whole milk
1 egg yolk
4 egg whites
2 T sugar

PREPARATION

Chop chocolate into small pieces and place in a bowl large enough to contain all of the ingredients and accommodate the folding process. Place the bowl over a bain marie or a simmering water bath. Make sure the bowl is not touching the water and the water is kept to a simmer. Take off the heat when the chocolate is melted.

Gently bring the milk to a boil. Pour over the melted chocolate and slowly whisk. Add the egg yolk and whisk until fully incorporated.

Whip eggs whites on medium speed until they reach a soft peak. Increase to medium high and gradually add sugar in a slow steady stream until egg whites are firm and glossy. The chocolate mixture should be cooled by the time the egg whites are ready.

Add 1/3 of whites to chocolate mixture and gently whisk to combine and lighten the chocolate mixture. Switch to a large rubber spatula and gently fold in remaining 2/3 egg whites until there are no streaks. Pour into individual servings or a large bowl. Chill for about 1 hour.

The texture of this mousse is lighter if served after the brief chilling. However, you can cover and store in the refrigerator up to 2 days. The texture will be much more dense.

message 2: by Yelena (new)

Yelena Malcolm | 14 comments One note about this recipe (as I made it yesterday): it takes practically no time at all to make. It is really so so easy, I think I had prepped and poured into ramekins in under 10 minutes. And it's just as good as I remember. I used Callebaut 70% chocolate because that's the chocolate I use for work (and there's always at least 30 pounds or so hanging around), and it makes a mean mousse.