Books I Loathed discussion

Loathed Titles > Lisey's Story - Stephen King

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Xysea (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:52AM) (new)

Xysea  (xysea) I used to like old Stephen King - Carrie, Christine, It, The Shining and The Stand are all right.

And I know in recent years Mr. King has been 'cranking them out' with the quality and speed of a sewing machine with a V6 engine - so why did I feel compelled to read (okay, attempt) this "book"?

(Yes, I tried Cell too, and that was unreadable. I guess hope *does* spring eternal...)

I stopped after 20 pages. It was stultifying. The only thing this book would be good for is to cure insomnia. It needed serious editing and pruning - he rambled and rambled and rambled about stuff that was not germaine and I felt like I wasted minutes of my life I could never get back.

So, I asked my mom - who actually paid for the thing - what she thought of it and she said, 'I found it unreadable - I quit about 40 pages in.' I said, 'Well, that's 20 more pages than I read. What did you give it to me for?' She said, 'I don't know.'

lol Skip it. Burn it. Just don't read it.

message 2: by Alex (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:52AM) (new)

Alex (alexinmadison) | 64 comments I love that your mom passed on a book with no warning. That just cracks me up.

message 3: by Xysea (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:52AM) (new)

Xysea  (xysea) Yeah, my mom's a real card. lol

I think she just wanted to get rid of it, like stinking offal, on the next passing person...

:P

message 4: by Xysea (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:52AM) (new)

Xysea  (xysea) Oh no. Turnabout is fair play. After dinner last night, I slipped it into a box of stuff I had going back over to her house... lol

It will be interesting to see what house it turns up in next...Stay tuned!

message 5: by Jordan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:53AM) (new)

Jordan | 10 comments I thought this was a lot better than anything else he's written since 2000 or so. Certainly a lot better than the Dark Tower garbage.

message 6: by Xysea (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:53AM) (new)

Xysea  (xysea) I didn't bother with Dark Tower series - it was certainly not my thing.

The first 100 pages of Lisey's Story were virtually unnecessary. It takes way too long to get into the crux of the plotline. The relationship between Lisey & her husband was a little to close to mentally abusive/sadistic for me.

And, I wondered how much of this book might actually mirror reality - between Stephen & Tabitha King.

All of that squicked me out. I couldn't finish.

message 7: by Sean (new)

Sean Little (seanpatricklittle) I look at it as the old drug cliche: Once he got off the narcs, quality dropped. Same for Aerosmith. I can't explain it...

He's put out a few good books, but some of them have made me just shake my head.

If anyone reads "From a Buick 8"--please tell me what the hell that was about...

message 8: by Ceci (new)

Ceci (cecialbiceleste) | 8 comments I loved Lisey's Story... I thought it was wonderful and the prose evocative. One of his best. I loved The Talisman too, but well, The Stand... never could finish that one, and absolutely hated Pet Sematary and The Tommyknockers. One could see he was boozing heavily when writing those. But Lisey's Story is magical and gets a lot better towards the end, IMO.

message 9: by Ceci (new)

Ceci (cecialbiceleste) | 8 comments But well, didn't much like Buick 8 or the Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon... but they're not as nasty and unreadable as those three I mentioned above. Lisey's Story I love. :)

message 10: by Rose (new)

Rose (rldahlgren) | 3 comments I found the story soooooo slow.... I opt reading and reading but it seemed like I wasn't getting anywhere. I may try to read it again since some time has passed.

message 11: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 32 comments I'm a BIG fan of Stephen King - but hated Lisey's Story, I stuck it out to the end though!

message 12: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 23 comments I liked Lisey's Story...It did go very slow though. With King, I have to hold back my tendency to be impatient, because I know that if I just stick with it, the payoff will be wonderful!!