The Lucid Garden discussion

Neil Gaiman Anyone?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maryam (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:51AM) (new)

Maryam | 4 comments I can't find a discussion forum dedicated to one of my favorite authors so I thought I'd throw a discussion thread out there and see if anyone would bite. Doesn't matter what you say. Just wanted to start a discussion about him.
What I've read of Gaiman's:
-The entire Sandman Series
-American Gods
-Neverwhere (and saw the movie)
-Stardust (Can't wait for hte movie)
-Smoke and Mirrors (I am a freak for fairy tales, and Snow, Glass, Apples one my favorite versions of Snow White)
-Anansi Boys

message 2: by Cara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:52AM) (new)

Cara (caranam) | 2 comments I loved Stardust. And well, all of the other things he's done. One of my favorite things about Gaiman is that he reads his own books and his voice is perfect for the readings.

Other works to look for of his:
- comic version of Murder Mysteries (beautifully done!)
- Fragile Things (His latest anthology. So good!)
- Coraline (Billed as a children's novel, but a very fun read)

message 3: by carmie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:54AM) (new)

carmie | 2 comments I'm currently reading Fragile Things as an e-book. Really enjoyed "October in the Chair." I also read Anansi Boys...didn't care for it as much. I like China Mieville's sendup of Anansi better.

message 4: by Maryam (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:55AM) (new)

Maryam | 4 comments Ooh, I still have to read Fragile things. For a while there, I found myself reading nothign but Gaiman and decided I had to venture out of hte fantasy world for a little bit in order to break the habit.
I liked anansi boys but it didn't hit me the way american gods did. it just didn't have the same draw to it. i loved the mythology in american gods and i didn't enjoy the presentation of myths in anansi boys as much.
oh well.

message 5: by Christopher (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:55AM) (new)

Christopher | 9 comments I, of course, loved Sandman (what self-respecing comic/fantasy/weird-fic fan wouldn't?) but I dislike Gaiman's early foreys into prose, particularly Neverwhere. I watched the BBC mini and couldn't wait to get my hands on the book, then couldn't finish it because his prose was so badly written.

I liked the ideas, but the whole time I kept thinking "this sounds like a treatment for a graphic novel, I wish this were a comic-book rather than a novel." I've sense read a few of his short-stories and it seems that his grasp of prose has improved some, so I might be willing to give his non-comic work another shot.

I also have an intense dislike of "Good Omens".

I love his kids books, especially "Wolves in the Walls."

Everytime I pass a poster for "Stardust" I want to weep. It looks so bad.

message 6: by Maryam (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:59AM) (new)

Maryam | 4 comments Stardust was amazing...I loved it! and i usually hate it when they take my favorite books and turn them into horrible movies, but Stardust sounded and looked like Gaiman.

message 7: by Cara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:01PM) (new)

Cara (caranam) | 2 comments See I liked parts of the movie... large parts in fact.

But the ending made me want to weep. The book's version was so much better. It felt more real and true and was easier to indentify with because of that.

Also DeNiro's character, despite getting the best reviews from audiences, completely threw me out of the story every time he appeared on screen. Very upsetting.

message 8: by Judah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:08PM) (new)

Judah | 34 comments Mod
For some reason, even though I followed and absolutely loved Sandman from it's very first printing (it still ranks as one of my favorite series ever) I've never been able to get into his books as much. I don't dislike them, per se, but they never drew me in....except for Neverwhere, which I quite enjoyed.

message 9: by Melissa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:18PM) (new)

Melissa (mahart) Yes, do read Coraline if you're a Gaiman fan. It will take you an afternoon and it's definitely one of his best books. His slightly purple prose is either constrained or made more palatable by the book's length. Then, if you like Coraline, read The Thief of Always by Clive Barker, which also has a pretty sweet graphic novel version too.

I love Sandman and I like Neverwhere but in general I find Gaiman's short stories difficult to stomach... they either come off as cutesy or scattered to me. Although the one about the tourist to an H.P. Lovecraft town is pretty funny... I forget the title. And don't get me started on the man's poetry.... I'm still recovering from his reading of "Crazy Hair" and "Blueberry Girl" from nearly seven years ago.

message 10: by Maryam (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:20PM) (new)

Maryam | 4 comments I have talked to many people who love his short stories and his graphic novels but hate his books. And I can see the pretension factor that some people talked about...Most of my friends don't enjoy him as much as I do but for whatever reason, i can't get enough. and as soon as med school is over, i plan on trying some of those more eccentric speculative writers that are listed in the group :)

message 11: by Christopher (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:20PM) (new)

Christopher | 9 comments Hey, I said I disliked Neverwhere a long time ago. So there.

message 12: by carmie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:22PM) (new)

carmie | 2 comments I think he's much better suited to graphic novels rather than prose. So there ;)

I finished slogging through Fragile Things...there are much better collections of short stories out there.

message 13: by Alice (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:31PM) (new)

Alice Cline | 1 comments I'm pretty new to fantasy/scifi, but I've loved all the Gaiman I've read. Someone recommended Charles De Lint so I read Widdershins, which I didn't like quite as much. Anyone have any recommendations? I want something that brings me into another world. Like His Dark Materials, but maybe for adults.

message 14: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 06, 2007 11:09PM) (new)

I don't really like American Gods with all that graphic sex, immortal or human.

Neverwhere is liken to Alice in Wonderland, and I enjoyed Neverwhere immensely. A smile was plastered on my face throughout Anansi Boys; it was soo chill, mon :D

I am interested in Coraline, since I'm beginning to like fantasy fic for kids.

Maryam: I loved Snow, Glass, Apples too. And the story about the angels.

Yeah, I guess Gaiman rocks...

message 15: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 16 comments I loved American Gods most out of the books of his I've read. My least fav was for sure, Stardust. I agree with you Cynjon, Neverwhere was good

message 16: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (brenda74) What can I say, I love his work. He's so imaginative. I've been a big fan ever since I read American Gods. Anansi Boys was great. His short stories are really good. I never got into his comics they're a bit too gory for me.

Coraline was fantastic and I'm terrified of the little stop-motion movie they turned it into. I can spot several things that they've changed to make it more accessible to children, I guess.