Chick Lit discussion

Chick Lit "on the wane" ?!

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Denise (new)

Denise | 29 comments Mod
Just saw this in an update on the romance genre from Writer's Digest:

"Krentz notes with some relief the wane of chick-lit and a greater freedom to cross-breed with other genres. A fine example is a series of detective romances that evoke the classic film noir style of the ’40s..."

The entire article (including updates on other classic genres ) can be read here:

http://writersdigest.com/article/The_...

Thoughts?

--Denise

Charlene McConnell | 7 comments On the wane? I hope not! I will have nothing to read!!!!

Charlene

message 3: by Denise (new)

Denise | 29 comments Mod
Keep in mind, this comment is coming from the Romance world, not the Fiction world, where Chick-Lit is usually shelved.

I'm hoping this means that the Chick Lit "genre" is growing and changing, in a good way, and not toward the vampire/paranormal so currently rampant in Romance ;)

message 4: by Becca (new)

Becca (becca2) | 16 comments This may be a bit off topic, but bear with me. I read books by Anna Maxted, Elnor Lipman, Marian Keyes, and Maeve Binchy. I don't really care whether they are classified as Chick Lit, Romance, or whatever--I love them. I also read Jennifer Weiner, and an occasional Jane Green, Jane Heller, Wendy Holden, or Isabel Wolff.

The deal is that for me here in Houston these authors' books are all filed in Fiction at any Borders or Barnes & Noble, but...

I also happen to read a *lot* of Katie Fforde. I never know from one visit to the next where her books are going to be located--Romance, Mystery, Fiction--argh!!

Many times I just order her books straight from the Internet, but it's not the same.

Does anyone else experience this issue with their authors?

message 5: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenlipton) | 15 comments As an author of...um...contemporary women's fiction, I can't tell you all how pleased I am that the label "chick lit" might be a thing of the past. The term is so demeaning and has come to be--unfairly--synonymous with "dismissable garbage." I would love to be able to write the books I write and NOT have them be called chick lit.

Becca, I'm pretty sure the decision of where to shelve the books is up to the individual store managers, which might explain why the Katie Fforde books are always in a different place. My guess is the author would rather be in the fiction/literature section than relegated to the "genre" shelves.

message 6: by Alisa (new)

Alisa (alisavaldes) | 2 comments I don't think we're at any risk of "chick lit" waning. The labels the sellers and media choose to put on the work might change, but books by women, of interest to women, about interesting women, will always be in fashion.

♥ Marlene♥  | 8 comments Hi there. I am new here this is my first post.

I was interested in what Denise said You are right Krentz is a romance writer not an author of chick lit, plus I also get sick of all the paranormal vampire books that you see everywhere nowadays.
I know lots of people love those, but not me.
But is this genre only coming into the romance category?
I am not so sure? What I also notice is that good chick lit authors suddenly change and start to write mysteries (which I also do not like)
Jennifer Weiner with Goodnight Nobody and now Meg Cabot.Is this the new trend?
I loved all of Jen Weiner's books so when Goodnight Nobody came out I decided to do something I normally can't afford. I bought the book new. Can't tell you how disappointed I was when I discovered she had changed to mystery. Did not even manage to finish the book.

message 8: by Keris (new)

Keris (kerisstainton) Marlene, Jennifer Weiner's new book isn't mystery, it's a follow-up to Good In Bed. It's called Certain Girls, but I don't think it's chick lit either. It seems more women's lit to me. It made me think of Elizabeth Berg (who I love), if you've ever read any of hers.