Classical music lovers discussion

Avant-garde vs. Kitsch

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katie (last edited Sep 29, 2008 10:33PM) (new)

Katie (hockeygoddess) Okay, so I originally signed up for the 100+ Book Challenge, not really thinking about just how that breaks down to about 2 books a week. I totally can't do that with my schedule. So I've decided to cut that down and reset my goal to 50 books read from Jan. 1 to Dec. 31, 2008. In addition (not separately but adding a bit more fun to the mix), I'm going to try to complete BOTH the A-Z Author Challenge and the A-Z Title Challenge in 2008. I shall track all three challenges below. I will not list a book until I have completed reading it (I'm not going to include audiobooks at all unless I get desperate) and I am only counting books I have started and finished during 2008. Wish me luck!

50 Book Challenge
1. Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
2. Scavenger by Tom Savage
3. Double Cross by James Patterson

A-Z Author Challenge:
A.
B.
C.
D.
E.
F.
G.
H.
I.
J.
K.
L.
M. Stephenie Meyer
N.
O.
P. James Patterson
Q.
R.
S. Tom Savage
T.
U.
V.
W.
X.
Y.
Z.

A-Z Book Title Challenge
A.
B.
C.
D. Double Cross by J. Patterson
E.
F.
G.
H.
I.
J.
K.
L.
M.
N.
O.
P.
Q.
R.
S. Scavenger by T. Savage
T. Twilight by S. Meyer
U.
V.
W.
X.
Y.
Z.

message 3: by Héctor (last edited Mar 28, 2008 11:43PM) (new)

message 4: by Brianah (new)

Brianah (mrsbrianah) This is pretty identical to my goals for the year! I have reserved the title challenge for next year, but perhaps I will do that this year as well...I'll have to think on that. Anyway, enjoy your reading and I'll see you at the 50-Book-Line at the end of the year!

message 5: by Florita (last edited Mar 26, 2008 06:55AM) (new)

Florita (ms_rita) | 220 comments Mod
Brilliant - thank you Héctor. Funnily enough, I was talking about this to group moderator George last night. Specifically, is a bit of Lloyd Webber slush truly more accessible to (for the sake of argument) a 'working class' person than, say, a Bach English suite played by Christopher Hogwood? I appreciate the argument that the working class person does not have the privileged education, time and resources to develop a full appreciation of ‘higher’ art forms, but I struggle to apply this to my personal experience. I have no formal classical training or education in classical music appreciation, yet I would sooner listen to Hogwood than Lloyd Webber any day.

However, I do have a degree in art history, so I suppose I am educated in appreciating ‘ high culture’, though not specifically music. And maybe I am just a snob!

My point is this: does the lay person really need a lot of education to enjoy (at least on some level) ‘high’ culture, or do they just need to be encouraged to lose the preconceptions of popular culture - ie that Lloyd Wobbler is entertaining and someone clattering away on a harpsichord is not? Is it, in fact as much a matter of forgetting what you ‘know’ as learning something new?

message 6: by Héctor (last edited Mar 26, 2008 07:19PM) (new)

Héctor It´s (kitsch) a cultural (and political) mechanism that closes the path to the people to another kind of culture (I don´t say "high culture"). That culture must be created...

message 7: by Héctor (last edited Mar 27, 2008 11:55AM) (new)

Héctor Following with Italy (sorry, Massimiliano):

Watch Orson Welles - La Ricotta

message 8: by Florita (new)

I agree it's an ideological mechanism to keep the 'proles' in their place, as in Nineteen Eighty-Four.

But how does one create a (an alternative) culture?

message 9: by Héctor (new)

Héctor It is a task for an avant-garde State. When will intellectuals and artists take the power?

message 10: by Héctor (new)

Héctor Serious artists are inevitably aware of kitsch: they fear it, are constantly on guard against it, and if they flirt with kitsch it is with a sense of risk, knowing that all artistic effort is wasted should you ever cross the line. No artist better illustrates this than Mahler. Time and again in his great symphonies he finds himself tempted: he himself admitted it, though in other words, to Freud. The mass-produced nostalgia of the Hapsburg empire is waiting at the door of consciousness and could burst in at any time. Waiting, too, is that winsome, folk-inspired evocation of adolescent love, with its horn chords and lingering upbeats, its lilting rhythm and familiar tonal phrases. Listen to the slow movement of the Sixth Symphony, and you will sense it hovering out of earshot, held back by phrases just that bit more angular than the cliché requires, by Wagnerized harmonies, and by an instrumentation that lets in a breeze of saving irony. In the adagietto of the Fifth Symphony, by contrast, kitsch is triumphant. The result is film music par excellence—and used as such by Visconti, in his kitsched-up version of Mann's Death in Venice. This fear of kitsch was one of the motives behind modernism in the arts. Tonal music, figurative painting, rhyming and regular verse—all seemed, at the time of the modernist experiments, to have exhausted their capacity for sincere emotional expression. To use the traditional idioms was to betray the higher life—which is why Clement Greenberg told his readers that there was, between abstract art and kitsch, no third way. At the same time, there is something utopian in Greenberg's condemnation. Kitsch is omnipresent, part of the language, and a seemingly inevitable aspect of cultural democracy. It is the debased coinage of the emotions. Kitsch is advertising, just as most advertising is kitsch. It is an attempt to turn value into price, the problem being that its subject matter has a value only when it is not pretended and a price only when it is. Hence the market in emotion must deal in simulated goods.

In Kitsch and the Modern Predicament by Roger Scruton

message 11: by Florita (new)

I'm not keen on Scruton politically but yes, it must be the nightmare of all artists who consider themselves 'serious' to be branded as kitsch.

I agree, though, that 'It is the debased coinage of the emotions'.

I think there is a third way. It's the way of people who don't take themselves too seriously but also aren't just in it for the money*. Of course the elitists have a vested interest in branding such people kitsch because they show the elitists up as the unclothed emperors they truly are. The 'third way' is democratic and didactic. It is anti-elitist, which is not the same as anti-intellectual.

* Though of course it is not that simple. They have also to rigorously ensure that other people who *are* in it for the money (publishers, agents, record companies) don't turn what they are doing into corrupt 'product'.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

i would say make the good stuff more accessible

taste is refined by hearing, and in art seeing, excellent work

message 13: by Florita (new)

The trouble is, who decides what is good?

message 14: by Héctor (last edited Apr 02, 2008 12:06AM) (new)

Héctor Ourselves, oneself generate distinctions permanently...

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

the scholar or academic or "expert" opinion
one who has studied and is knowledgable
the preponderance of this type of opinion should be able to come up with a semblance of a "canon"
which i think we have but often to make it "understandable" or "popular" a watered down or inferior facsimilie is offered
i went to a local amatuer orchestra in Florida (yah i know) and they did a strange carol burnett presentation throughout complete with mop, bucket and floppy shoes
i wanted not only my money but my time back
it was by far the worst evening of entertainment i'd ever experienced
all in the name of garnering a popular audience

message 16: by Florita (last edited Apr 02, 2008 03:59AM) (new)

Héctor- you are absolutely right about developing the faculty for distinction.

But the problem is, there is so much material on which we never get the chance to decide for ourselves because a critic, record company or publisher has already made the decision for us. And why should we trust their faculties instead of our own, especially when we know that their judgement is strongly biased in favour of what will directly make them money (the publisher or record company) or make them look good in the eyes of their peers (the critic)?

message 17: by Florita (new)

Maureen writes: “went to a local amatuer orchestra in Florida (yah i know).”

Well, you never know... It’s a good thing that you gave them a chance. If no one ever gave amateurs a chance, there’d be no arts.

I mean, if someone said to the uninitiated “check out the Simon Bolivar Youth Orchestra of Venezuela”, they might think “No way! That sounds terrible!” But in fact they are amazing.

I am sure you brought something away from the experience, even if it was just having a funny story to dine out on!

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't fault the musicians they all were obviously dedicated to their art.
Unfortuneately the conductor who was the only paid member decided to "explain" classical music to his audience.
The result was that he stopped each piece and added his comedy act to keep our attention
(the idea was that he was explaining classical music to the cleaning lady.)
The orchestra did not play a complete piece until an hour and a half (after intermission) into the 2 and a half hour performance.
A few minutes in the beginning, middle and end would have been sufficient.
It was actually insulting even to a neophyte like me and totally disruptive of the music.
One of the women I went with was so aggravated she started heckling and we had to shush her.
The beautiful strains of music would just begin to swell and the mop bucket would clang across the stage, or orchestra members would have to move because the cleaning lady needed "to mop" under their chairs.
It wasn't an evening of music, rather it was a showcase for the conductors terrible sense of humor and his attempt to "humanize" the experience. Total kitsch.

message 19: by Héctor (last edited Apr 03, 2008 01:42AM) (new)

Héctor Perhaps, we should read Kant, Critique of Judgement for...

message 20: by Katie (last edited Apr 05, 2008 03:12AM) (new)

Katie (hockeygoddess) Here's an update...

50 Book Challenge
4. The Queen's Fool by Philippa Gregory

A-Z Author Challenge:
A.
B.
C.
D.
E.
F.
G. Philippa Gregory
H.
I.
J.
K.
L.
M. Stephenie Meyer
N.
O.
P. James Patterson
Q.
R.
S. Tom Savage
T.
U.
V.
W.
X.
Y.
Z.

A-Z Book Title Challenge:
A.
B.
C.
E.
F.
G.
H.
I.
J.
K.
L.
M.
N.
O.
P.
Q. The Queen's Fool by P. Gregory
R.
T. Twilight by S. Meyer
U.
V.
W.
X.
Y.
Z.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

started to read the kant
read it ages ago
will take another look when i have more time
meanwhile i wanted to clarify my comments above
the musicians were competent and some very good
the "yah, i know" comment was in relation to the location (northwest florida) which is pretty much a cultural desert
the amatuer musicians were good and i didn't mean to slight them they were hindered by
the professional conductor who was the dud

message 22: by Katie (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:34AM) (new)

Katie (hockeygoddess) I've had a good reading week...and books for which I got no sleep because I wanted to finish them! Here's my update:

50 Book Challenge
5. New Moon by Stephenie Meyer

A-Z Author Challenge:
A.
B.
C.
D.
E.
F.
G. Philippa Gregory
H.
I.
J.
K.
L.
M. Stephenie Meyer
N.
O.
P. James Patterson
Q.
R.
S. Tom Savage
T.
U.
V.
W.
X.
Y.
Z.

A.
B.
C.
E.
F.
G.
H.
I.
J.
K.
L.
M.
N. New Moon by S. Meyer
O.
P.
R.
T. Twilight by S. Meyer
U.
V.
W.
X.
Y.
Z.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Kant was deaf to music.

He probably wouldn't that helpful.

message 24: by Florita (last edited Apr 11, 2008 08:24AM) (new)

Hmmm, read Kant on aesthetics at university but I can't remember a lot about it. :( It was a long time ago!

Maureen, the conductor sounds like a horrible, attention seeking egotist. That sort of thing is so embarrassing. I feel sorry for the musicians and the audience.

message 25: by Florita (new)

....So... is kitsch always 'bad'?

Is it OK to like kitsch things purely on a personal level?

message 26: by Héctor (last edited Apr 11, 2008 01:59PM) (new)

Héctor "Kant was deaf to music". I don't think that, James. Beethoven read him a lot. Read it, please:

"There are two kinds of beauty: free beauty (pulchritudo vaga), or beauty which is merely dependent (pulchritudo adhaerens). The first presupposes no concept of what the object should be; the second does presuppose such a concept and, with it, an answering perfection of the object. Those of the first kind are said to be (self-subsisting) beauties of this thing or that thing; the other kind of beauty, being attached to a concept (conditioned beauty), is ascribed to objects which come under the concept of a particular end. Flowers are free beauties of nature. Hardly anyone but a botanist knows the true nature of a flower, and even he, while recognizing in the flower the reproductive organ of the plant, pays no attention to this natural end when using his taste to judge of its beauty. Hence no perfection of any kind-no internal finality, as something to which the arrangement of the manifold is related-underlies this judgement. Many birds (the parrot, the humming-bird, the bird of paradise), and a number of crustacea, are self-subsisting beauties which are not appurtenant to any object defined with respect to its end, but please freely and on their own account. So designs a la grecque, foliage for framework or on wall-papers, etc., have no intrinsic meaning; they represent nothing-no object under a definite concept-and are free beauties. We may also rank in the same class what in music are called fantasias (without a theme), and, indeed, all music that is not set to words."

Kant, Critique of Judgement, 1790.

message 27: by Héctor (new)

Héctor "....So... is kitsch always 'bad'? "

“Let the one of you that’s without sin, throw the first stone at her.”

--John 8:1-12

message 28: by Florita (new)

Or 'people in glass houses...' as they say.

I bet there are things you secretly like that are kitsch. :p

message 29: by Héctor (last edited Apr 12, 2008 08:46PM) (new)

Héctor When we sing the national anthem, we are kitsch... Who will write, someday, an universal anthem?

message 30: by Katie (last edited Apr 19, 2008 12:16AM) (new)

Katie (hockeygoddess) I'm still lacking sleep, but I've gotten through another! Here's my update:

50 Book Challenge
6. P.S. I Love You by Cecelia Ahern

A-Z Author Challenge:
A. Cecelia Ahern
B.
C.
D.
E.
F.
G. Philippa Gregory
H.
I.
J.
K.
L.
M. Stephenie Meyer
N.
O.
P. James Patterson
Q.
R.
S. Tom Savage
T.
U.
V.
W.
X.
Y.
Z.

A.
B.
C.
E.
F.
G.
H.
I.
J.
K.
L.
M.
N. New Moon by S. Meyer
O.
P. P.S. I Love You by C. Ahern
R.
T. Twilight by S. Meyer
U.
V.
W.
X.
Y.
Z.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

One sentence stating something untrue about fantasias and the fact that Beethoven read him doesn't prove anything.

I'm not sure if you can access JSTOR, but there's an article called 'Kant on Music and the Hierarchy of the Arts' on there. The author of the article states the following:

'... when we listen to what his biographers have to say, we are served up an explicitly antimusical Kant.'

message 32: by Héctor (new)

Héctor Kant-can help us for making distinctions in culture and arts...

message 33: by Katie (new)

Katie (hockeygoddess) I've been trying a lot harder to read more...plus it takes my mind off my grumpy work stuff! Here's my latest (and I hope to have another update tomorrow!)

50 Book Challenge
7. Sam's Letters to Jennifer by James Patterson

A-Z Author Challenge:
A. Cecelia Ahern
B.
C.
D.
E.
F.
G. Philippa Gregory
H.
I.
J.
K.
L.
M. Stephenie Meyer
N.
O.
P. James Patterson
Q.
R.
S. Tom Savage
T.
U.
V.
W.
X.
Y.
Z.

A.
B.
C.
E.
F.
G.
H.
I.
J.
K.
L.
M.
N. New Moon by S. Meyer
O.
R.
T. Twilight by S. Meyer
U.
V.
W.
X.
Y.
Z.

message 34: by Katie (new)

Katie (hockeygoddess) Work keeps me very busy, so I feel like I'm getting a lot of reading in right now. Here's my latest (and I hope to have another update tomorrow or at least by the end of the week!)

50 Book Challenge
8. Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer

A-Z Author Challenge:
A. Cecelia Ahern
B.
C.
D.
E.
F.
G. Philippa Gregory
H.
I.
J.
K.
L.
M. Stephenie Meyer
N.
O.
P. James Patterson
Q.
R.
S. Tom Savage
T.
U.
V.
W.
X.
Y.
Z.

A.
B.
C.
E. Eclipse by S. Meyer
F.
G.
H.
I.
J.
K.
L.
M.
N. New Moon by S. Meyer
O.
R.
T. Twilight by S. Meyer
U.
V.
W.
X.
Y.
Z.

message 35: by Katie (new)

Katie (hockeygoddess) It's been forever since I finished a book...but I'm feeling determined...here's what's new!

50 Book Challenge
9. A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore

A-Z Author Challenge:
A. Cecelia Ahern
B.
C.
D.
E.
F.
G. Philippa Gregory
H.
I.
J.
K.
L.
M. Stephenie Meyer
N.
O.
P. James Patterson
Q.
R.
S. Tom Savage
T.
U.
V.
W.
X.
Y.
Z.

A.
B.
C.
E. Eclipse by S. Meyer
F.
G.
H.
I.
J.
K.
L.
M.
N. New Moon by S. Meyer
O.
R.
T. Twilight by S. Meyer
U.
V.
W.
X.
Y.
Z.

message 36: by Katie (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:16AM) (new)

Katie (hockeygoddess) Yay, I finished another book...about damn time!!
50 Book Challenge
10. Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer

A-Z Author Challenge:
A. Cecelia Ahern
B.
C.
D.
E.
F.
G. Philippa Gregory
H.
I.
J.
K.
L.
M. Stephenie Meyer
N.
O.
P. James Patterson
Q.
R.
S. Tom Savage
T.
U.
V.
W.
X.
Y.
Z.

A.
B. Breaking Dawn by S. Meyer
C.
E. Eclipse by S. Meyer
F.
G.
H.
I.
J.
K.
L.
M.
N. New Moon by S. Meyer
O.
R.
T. Twilight by S. Meyer
U.
V.
W.
X.
Y.
Z.

message 37: by Katie (last edited Sep 29, 2008 05:03PM) (new)

Katie (hockeygoddess) I've decided to do some easy reads to boost my numbers...whatever it takes, I say! *L* I'm also adding numbers to my A-Z challenges as I'm not sure where to put my latest read!

50 Book Challenge
11. 7th Heaven by James Patterson

A-Z Author Challenge:
A. Cecelia Ahern
B.
C.
D.
E.
F.
G. Philippa Gregory
H.
I.
J.
K.
L.
M. Stephenie Meyer
N.
O.
P. James Patterson
Q.
R.
S. Tom Savage
T.
U.
V.
W.
X.
Y.
Z.

A.
C.
E. Eclipse by S. Meyer
F.
G.
H.
I.
J.
K.
L.
M.
N. New Moon by S. Meyer
O.
R.
T. Twilight by S. Meyer
U.
V.
W.
X.
Y.
Z.
7. 7th Heaven by J. Patterson

message 38: by Katie (new)

Katie (hockeygoddess) I'm finally on vacation and I'll be damned if I don't get a bunch of books on here...Besides, it's November and I'm running out of time!

50 Book Challenge
12. One for the Money by Janet Evanovich

A-Z Author Challenge:
A. Cecelia Ahern
B.
C.
D.
E. Janet Evanovich
F.
G. Philippa Gregory
H.
I.
J.
K.
L.
M. Stephenie Meyer
N.
O.
P. James Patterson
Q.
R.
S. Tom Savage
T.
U.
V.
W.
X.
Y.
Z.

A.
C.
E. Eclipse by S. Meyer
F.
G.
H.
I.
J.
K.
L.
M.
N. New Moon by S. Meyer
O. One for the Money by J. Evanovich
R.
T. Twilight by S. Meyer
U.
V.
W.
X.
Y.
Z.

message 39: by Katie (new)

Katie (hockeygoddess) Another notch in the belt thanks to vacation!

50 Book Challenge
13. Stealing Shadows by Kay Hooper

A-Z Author Challenge:
A. Cecelia Ahern
B.
C.
D.
E. Janet Evanovich
F.
G. Philippa Gregory
H. Kay Hooper
I.
J.
K.
L.
M. Stephenie Meyer
N.
O.
P. James Patterson
Q.
R.
S. Tom Savage
T.
U.
V.
W.
X.
Y.
Z.

A.
C.
E. Eclipse by S. Meyer
F.
G.
H.
I.
J.
K.
L.
M.
N. New Moon by S. Meyer
R.
T. Twilight by S. Meyer
U.
V.
W.
X.
Y.
Z.

message 40: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Hey! I read the Twilight Saga for my challenge and am just about to finish Breaking Dawn.....how did you like the series??? I personally loooooved it:)

message 41: by Katie (new)

Katie (hockeygoddess) Another notch in the belt thanks to vacation!

50 Book Challenge
14. Two for the Dough by Janet Evanovich

A-Z Author Challenge:
A. Cecelia Ahern
B.
C.
D.
E. Janet Evanovich
F.
G. Philippa Gregory
H. Kay Hooper
I.
J.
K.
L.
M. Stephenie Meyer
N.
O.
P. James Patterson
Q.
R.
S. Tom Savage
T.
U.
V.
W.
X.
Y.
Z.

A.
C.
E. Eclipse by S. Meyer
F.
G.
H.
I.
J.
K.
L.
M.
N. New Moon by S. Meyer
R.
T. Twilight by S. Meyer
U.
V.
W.
X.
Y.
Z.

message 42: by Katie (new)

Katie (hockeygoddess) Got one more done just in time to go through security & catch my plane home!

50 Book Challenge
14. Two for the Dough by Janet Evanovich
15. A Maiden's Grave by Jeffery Deaver

A-Z Author Challenge:
A. Cecelia Ahern
B.
C.
D. Jeffery Deaver
E. Janet Evanovich
F.
G. Philippa Gregory
H. Kay Hooper
I.
J.
K.
L.
M. Stephenie Meyer
N.
O.
P. James Patterson
Q.
R.
S. Tom Savage
T.
U.
V.
W.
X.
Y.
Z.

A.
C.
E. Eclipse by S. Meyer
F.
G.
H.
I.
J.
K.
L.
M. A Maiden's Grave by J. Deaver
N. New Moon by S. Meyer
R.
T. Twilight by S. Meyer
U.
V.
W.
X.
Y.
Z.

message 43: by Katie (new)

Katie (hockeygoddess) This is my last push before the end of the year...three days to go!

50 Book Challenge