Malicious Malicious discussion

Discovering New Authors

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Alissa Hunter What does it take for a new author to make it? Besides from the obvious answer, which is a whole lot of Patience, it takes readers willing to step out of their comfort zone, and try something new...
It's easy to fall into what's already known, and comfortable. I certainly have my favorite authors and constantly drop everything else when they have a new book emerge out into the world, and only when I'm done reading everything they've ever wrote, will I try reading from a new author.
Now that I'm wearing the other shoe, I'm constantly asking myself, why haven't more people dropped everything to read Malicious?...when really I'm just being impatient. The truth is, I have the best group of readers, a wonderful publishing house supporting me and my Malicious characters, and quite possibly the best job in the world! I mean come on, I get to write discussion posts in the middle of the day...

When an author is first published they ask themselves, what if my story is too controversial? what if, what if, what if???

So here is the question I ask you, the readers...HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT YA BOOKS THAT TALK ABOUT HEAVEN VERSUS HELL? HOW MUCH SEXUAL CONTENT IS TOO MUCH BEFORE IT GOES TOO FAR? WHAT ENTICES YOU TO READ FROM A NEW AUTHOR?

Feedback is welcome and appreciated...Did I mention I have the best group of readers?

message 2: by Cat (new) - added it

Cat Bras I have authors that I truly love and buy every book that they write. Since discovering different sites that allow you to get books for free or extremely cheap, I have branched out to other authors and types of books. I also was invited to join a review club and have discovered new authors there as well. I find that I read more books that I wouldn't normally read and discover that I love them! If the cover catches my eye, I will read the blurb. And if it slightly interests me, then I will read it. Most of the time, I am not disappointed by what I find.
As for the heaven/hell aspect, it doesn't really matter to me. As long as I feel that the author isn't shaming me for my beliefs or trying to tell me why I am wrong, I am fine with it. It is just good fiction and I enjoy it.
As for sex scenes, I have read all types of books with different degrees of scenes. If it gets to much for me, I just skim through the pages until it is over. With that being said, I have read books with really heavy and dark scenes that I enjoyed the plot and story but had to gloss over those scenes because it was too much for me. I have also read books where the only romantic action was at the very end where they only kissed. I like a good, well written scene that keeps me engaged without all the profanity and nasty descriptions.
Some approaches I have seen in YA books were when they got to that point, they fairly skimmed over the act itself. The descriptions were fairly innocent and I didn't feel I was reading a %0 Shades type of book. Also, I have seen authors take another approach were they lead up to that scene but then cut to the next day. I.E. The Dusk Gate Chronicles by Breanna Putroff and the Otherworld Series by Jenna Elizabeth Johnson. It was nice to see the desire and the start of the act but not have to read about it. As long as it is believable and well written, I don't feel cheated.

Hope this helps!

Alissa Hunter Thank you for your feedback Cat. It's fascinating to me to hear what drives other readers to pick up a new book and read it. That might seem kind of silly to some people, but time is valuable, and when readers decide to take a chance on a new Author such as myself, I feel beyond grateful.

Wonderful feedback!

Natalie Trouten I'm always open for something new! I get most of my book ideas from my sisters and husband. Since I'm a teacher, I'm also always looking for great children's books. Controversy has never bothered me; I enjoy books that make me think. I finished 2 books last weekend, and still have a pile of 7 books next to my bed to start! BTW, I loved Malicious!

Alissa Hunter Hi Natalie,
Thanks for your reply! It's so great to hear you loved Malicious! And we are the same way around here with having books piled up everywhere, even the kids have books all over their rooms. I'm always looking for great children's books as well; I'm pretty sure I'm funding the kids' teachers with how many books I buy from book orders lol
Thanks for your post! and Good Luck in your classroom and making it through that stack ;)