Cozy Mystery Corner discussion

General > Cozy Mystery Awards - Agatha and Lefty Award Winners Announced!

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nell (last edited Mar 22, 2017 05:12AM) (new)

Nell | 2600 comments Mod
The Agatha Award nominees for best traditional mysteries published in 2014 have been announced. Which ones have you read? What do you think about the nominees?

Best Contemporary Novel:
The Good, the Bad, and the Emus by Donna Andrews
A Demon Summer: A Max Tudor Mystery by G.M. Malliet
Designated Daughters by Margaret Maron
The Long Way Home by Louise Penny
Truth Be Told by Hank Phillippi Ryan - WINNER!

The Good, the Bad, and the Emus (Meg Langslow, #17) by Donna Andrews A Demon Summer (Max Tudor #4) by G.M. Malliet Designated Daughters (Deborah Knott Mysteries. #19) by Margaret Maron The Long Way Home (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #10) by Louise Penny Truth Be Told (Jane Ryland) by Hank Phillippi Ryan

Best Historical Novel:
Queen of Hearts by Rhys Bowen - WINNER!
Wouldn't It Be Deadly by D. E. Ireland
Murder in Murray Hill by Victoria Thompson
Hunting Shadows by Charles Todd
An Unwilling Accomplice by Charles Todd

Queen of Hearts (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #8) by Rhys Bowen Wouldn't It Be Deadly (Eliza Doolittle & Henry Higgins Mystery, #1) by D.E. Ireland Murder in Murray Hill (Gaslight Mystery, #16) by Victoria Thompson Hunting Shadows (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #16) by Charles Todd An Unwilling Accomplice (Bess Crawford, #6) by Charles Todd

Best First Novel:
Circle of Influence by Annette Dashofy
Tagged for Death by Sherry Harris
Well Read, Then Dead by Terry Farley Moran - WINNER!
Finding Sky by Susan O'Brien
Murder Strikes a Pose by Tracy Weber

Circle of Influence (Zoe Chambers Mysteries, #1) by Annette Dashofy Tagged for Death (A Sarah Winston Garage Sale Mystery, 1) by Sherry Harris Well Read, Then Dead (A Read 'Em and Eat Mystery, #1) by Terrie Farley Moran Finding Sky (Nicki Valentine Mystery, #1) by Susan O'Brien Murder Strikes a Pose (A Downward Dog Mystery #1) by Tracy Weber

message 2: by Nell (last edited Feb 02, 2015 07:18AM) (new)

Nell | 2600 comments Mod
Congratulations to group members, Tracy Weber and Margaret Maron! Tracy's mystery, Murder Strikes a Pose, is nominated for best first novel. Margaret's mystery, Designated Daughters, is nominated for best contemporary.

Murder Strikes a Pose (A Downward Dog Mystery #1) by Tracy Weber Designated Daughters (Deborah Knott, #19) by Margaret Maron

message 3: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 653 comments Congrats, Tracy! I still have MURDER STRIKES A POSE sitting close to the top of The Pile! The only one I've read, so far, is WELL READ, THEN DEAD, which I liked. I also have the Louise Penny book, but am behind a few books in the 3 Pines series.

message 4: by ☯Emily (new)

☯Emily  Ginder | 1408 comments Congratulations, Tracy!

message 5: by Nell (last edited Feb 05, 2015 04:10AM) (new)

Nell | 2600 comments Mod
The Agatha nominees for best first novel are one of the ways that I find new cozy authors. In past years, I've discovered Krista Davis, Susan M. Boyer, Duffy Brown, Deanna Raybourn and Sandra Parshall among others.

I had only heard of two of the books nominated this year for best first, both through this Goodreads group - Well Read, Then Dead was picked as a featured book and Tracy is a member. I haven't read any of the new nominees yet. Looking forward to it. Previous nominees have become favorite authors.

message 6: by Nell (last edited Jun 11, 2016 04:20AM) (new)

Nell | 2600 comments Mod
The Agatha Award Finalist for Best Traditional (Cozy) Mysteries have been announced. The nominees for best novels published in 2015 are:

Best Contemporary Novel:
Bridges Burned, Annette Dashofy
Long Upon the Land, Margaret Maron - WINNER
The Child Garden, Catriona McPherson
The Nature of the Beast, Louise Penny
What You See, Hank Phillipi Ryan

Bridges Burned (Zoe Chambers Mysteries, #3) by Annette Dashofy Long Upon the Land (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #20) by Margaret Maron The Child Garden by Catriona McPherson The Nature of the Beast (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #11) by Louise Penny What You See (Jane Ryland, #4) by Hank Phillippi Ryan

Best Historical Novel:
Malice at the Palace, Rhys Bowen
The Masque of a Murderer, Susanna Calkins
Dreaming Spies, Laurie R. King - WINNER
Mrs. Roosevelt’s Confidante, Susan Elia MacNeal
Murder on Amsterdam Avenue, Victoria Thompson

Malice at the Palace (Her Royal Spyness, #9) by Rhys Bowen The Masque of a Murderer (Lucy Campion Mysteries, #3) by Susanna Calkins Dreaming Spies (Mary Russell, #13) by Laurie R. King Mrs. Roosevelt’s Confidante (Maggie Hope, #5) by Susan Elia MacNeal Murder on Amsterdam Avenue (Gaslight Mystery, #17) by Victoria Thompson

Best First Novel:
Death of a Dishonorable Gentleman, Tessa Arlen
MacDeath, Cindy Brown
Plantation Shudders, Ellen Byron
Just Killing Time, Julianne Holmes
On the Road with Del and Louise, Art Taylor - WINNER

Death of a Dishonorable Gentleman (Lady Montfort Mystery, #1) by Tessa Arlen MacDeath (An Ivy Meadows Mystery, #1) by Cindy Brown Plantation Shudders (Cajun Country Mystery, # 1) by Ellen Byron Just Killing Time (Clock Shop Mystery, #1) by Julianne Holmes On the Road with Del and Louise A Novel in Stories by Art Taylor

message 7: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 2408 comments Mod
I haven't read any of these, but I have a feeling the first book in several of the series will end up on my tbr.

message 8: by Nell (last edited Feb 08, 2016 05:39AM) (new)

Nell | 2600 comments Mod
I bought two of the first novel nominees for my Kindle yesterday right after I posted the list! Death of a Dishonorable Gentleman and MacDeath.

The only finalist that I've already read is Victoria Thompson. Several are by familiar authors and are already on my 'to buy' list waiting for the paperback or a Kindle price drop.

message 9: by Nell (last edited Feb 08, 2016 05:43AM) (new)

Nell | 2600 comments Mod
I often find new favorites this way. Last year I read 3 of the 5 books nominated for best first mystery and have the other 2 in my TBR. I read:

Circle of Influence by Annette Dashofy
Tagged for Death by Sherry Harris
Well Read, Then Dead by Terry Farley Moran

I enjoyed them all (4 or 5 star reads) and now have new series to follow. My vote for best goes to Tagged for Death.

message 10: by Teresa (new)

Teresa I just finished Plantation Shudders (Cajun Country Mystery, # 1) by Ellen Byron . It was very good. I will be looking for the next in the series.

message 11: by Barbara (last edited Apr 14, 2016 01:56PM) (new)

Barbara Sousa | 442 comments Nell wrote: "I often find new favorites this way. Last year I read 3 of the 5 books nominated for best first mystery and have the other 2 in my TBR. I read:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this, but the Kindle edition of Well Read, Then Dead (A Read 'Em and Eat Mystery #1) by Terrie Farley Moran (Agatha winner of Best First Novel 2014) is currently on sale for $1.99 at amazon.com. I've heard good things about the book, so I picked up a copy.

message 12: by Nell (last edited Jun 01, 2016 05:52AM) (new)

Nell | 2600 comments Mod
Winners of the Agatha Awards are:

Best Contemporary Novel
Long Upon the Land by Margaret Maron
Long Upon the Land (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #20) by Margaret Maron

Best Historical Novel
Dreaming Spies by Laurie R. King
Dreaming Spies (Mary Russell, #13) by Laurie R. King

Best First Novel
On the Road with Del and Louise: A Novel in Stories by Art Taylor
On the Road with Del and Louise A Novel in Stories by Art Taylor

Have you read any of these cozies? Did your favorite win?

message 13: by Kay Webb (new)

Kay Webb (kaywebb) | 12 comments Major kudos to Margaret Maron, one of my all-time favorites. Long Upon the Land well deserved this honor.

Kay

message 14: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 419 comments I haven't read any of them but I like Laurie R. King's books.

message 15: by Nell (last edited Apr 30, 2017 04:30AM) (new)

Nell | 2600 comments Mod
Agatha Award Nominees for best traditional mysteries published in 2016 are:

Best Contemporary Novel::
Body on the Bayou by Ellen Byron
Quiet Neighbors by Catriona McPherson
*A Great Reckoning by Louise Penny
Iced Under by Barbara Ross
Say No More by Hank Phillippi Ryan

Body on the Bayou (Cajun Country Mystery, #2) by Ellen Byron Quiet Neighbors by Catriona McPherson A Great Reckoning (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #12) by Louise Penny Iced Under (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #5) by Barbara Ross Say No More (Jane Ryland, #5) by Hank Phillippi Ryan

Best Historical Novel:
Whispers Beyond the Veil by Jessica Estevao
Get Me to the Grave on Time by D.E. Ireland
Delivering the Truth by Edith Maxwell
*Dandy Gilver and The Reek of Red Herrings by Catriona McPherson
Murder in Morningside Heights by Victoria Thompson

Whispers Beyond the Veil (A Change of Fortune Mystery #1) by Jessica Estevao Get Me to the Grave on Time by D.E. Ireland Delivering the Truth (Quaker Midwife Mystery, #1) by Edith Maxwell Dandy Gilver and The Reek of Red Herrings (Dandy Gilver, #9) by Catriona McPherson Murder in Morningside Heights (Gaslight Mystery, #19) by Victoria Thompson

Best First Novel:
Terror in Taffeta by Marla Cooper
Murder in G Major by Alexia Gordon
*The Semester of Our Discontent by Cynthia Kuhn
Decanting a Murder by Nadine Nettmann
Design for Dying by Renee Patrick

Terror in Taffeta by Marla Cooper Murder in G Major (Gethsemane Brown Mysteries, #1) by Alexia Gordon The Semester of Our Discontent (Lila Maclean Academic Mystery #1) by Cynthia Kuhn Decanting a Murder by Nadine Nettmann Design for Dying (Lillian Frost & Edith Head, #1) by Renee Patrick

How many of these have you read?
What 5 star cozy do you think is missing from the list?

message 16: by Nell (last edited Jan 30, 2017 07:08AM) (new)

Nell | 2600 comments Mod
I have all of the nominees for Best Contemporary and have read two of them - Iced Under and Body on the Bayou. I liked both but give an edge to Body on the Bayou because of the humor.

I had not heard of any of the Best First Novel nominees. More books for the TBR. - She pretends to sigh. ;-D

There are familiar names in the Best Historical list including a favorite author - Victoria Thompson. A couple of the nominees are first in a series, too.

message 17: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 2408 comments Mod
I haven't read any of the nominees, and only one of the authors - Victoria Thompson. I enjoy her series but am way behind (like most of the series I read). Like Nell, it looks like I'm adding more books to my tbr.

Not as prominent as the Agatha Award, but one of my favorite awards is the Left Coast Crime “Lefty” Awards for Best Humorous Mystery Novel

° Die Like an Eagle by Donna Andrews
° Body on the Bayou by Ellen Byron
° Fields Where They Lay by Timothy Hallinan
° The CEO Came DOA by Heather Haven
° Floodgate by Johnny Shaw
° A Disguise to Die For by Diane Vallere

I haven't read any of theses books, but I have read some of Donna Andrews books and already have some of the authors on my tbr.

message 18: by Nell (last edited Jan 31, 2017 04:41AM) (new)

Nell | 2600 comments Mod
I enjoy reading the Lefty Award nominees also. Body on the Bayou is on both lists. There are two books in the series and I've enjoyed them. Like the characters especially the MC's grandmere.

Haven't read any of the others though I've read all of the Donna Andrews' mysteries except for the newest one. The only other author I've read is Diane Vallere. Her Material Witness series has been a Lefty Award nominee in previous years.

message 19: by Nell (last edited Mar 29, 2017 07:57AM) (new)

Nell | 2600 comments Mod
Here are the other Lefty Award Nominees for 2017. Many of them are cozies. Some books are finalists for both the Agatha and the Lefty:

Lefty for Best Historical Mystery Novel
(Bruce Alexander Memorial, covering events before 1960)
° Crowned and Dangerous by Rhys Bowen
° A Death Along the River Fleet by Susanna Calkins
° The Murder of Mary Russell by Laurie R. King
° Dandy Gilver and The Reek of Red Herrings by Catriona McPherson - WINNER
° What Gold Buys by Ann Parker

Lefty for Best Mystery Novel
° Dark Fissures by Matt Coyle
° Michelangelo's Ghost by Gigi Pandian
° A Great Reckoning by Louise Penny - WINNER
° The Necessary Murder of Nonie Blake by Terry Shames
° Heart of Stone by James W. Ziskin

Lefty for Best Debut Mystery Novel
° Cleaning Up Finn by Sarah M. Chen
° Terror in Taffeta by Marla Cooper
° Murder in G Major by Alexia Gordon - WINNER
° Decanting a Murder by Nadine Nettmann
° Design for Dying by Renee Patrick

message 20: by Nell (last edited Jan 31, 2017 05:54AM) (new)

Nell | 2600 comments Mod
Congratulations to CMC group members, Barbara Ross, Marla Cooper, Diane Vallere and Edith Maxwell, on their nominations.

message 21: by Nell (last edited Mar 28, 2017 06:25AM) (new)

Nell | 2600 comments Mod
Winners of the Lefty Awards are (drumroll)

Best Humorous Mystery:
Body on the Bayou by Ellen Byron
Body on the Bayou (Cajun Country Mystery, #2) by Ellen Byron

Best Historical (Bruce Alexander) Award:
Dandy Gilver and The Reek of Red Herrings by Catriona McPherson
Dandy Gilver and The Reek of Red Herrings (Dandy Gilver, #9) by Catriona McPherson

Best Mystery Novel:
A Great Reckoning by Louise Penny
A Great Reckoning (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #12) by Louise Penny

Best Debut Mystery:
Murder in G Major by Alexia Gordon
Murder in G Major (Gethsemane Brown Mysteries, #1) by Alexia Gordon

message 22: by Marisa (last edited Apr 28, 2017 11:32AM) (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 419 comments Nell wrote: Best Debut Mystery:

I read this book and I enjoyed it a lot. I'm waiting for the second one.

message 23: by Nell (new)

Nell | 2600 comments Mod
Marisa wrote: "Nell wrote: Best Debut Mystery:

I read this book and I enjoyed it a lot. I'm waiting for the second one."

Death in D Minor will be published in mid-July. I've pre-ordered it - something I rarely do.

message 24: by Marisa (last edited Apr 29, 2017 01:29AM) (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 419 comments I haven't pre-ordered it but it's already in my list for that day.

message 25: by Nell (last edited Apr 30, 2017 04:27AM) (new)

Nell | 2600 comments Mod
Winners of the Agatha Awards for Best Traditional Mysteries are:

Best Contemporary Novel:
A Great Reckoning by Louise Penny
A Great Reckoning (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #12) by Louise Penny

Best Historical Novel:
Dandy Gilver and The Reek of Red Herrings by Catriona McPherson
Dandy Gilver and The Reek of Red Herrings (Dandy Gilver, #9) by Catriona McPherson

Best First Novel:
The Semester of Our Discontent by Cynthia Kuhn
The Semester of Our Discontent (Lila Maclean Academic Mystery #1) by Cynthia Kuhn

message 26: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 419 comments The Semester of Our Discontent is in my TBR, perhaps it will be included in the new challenge :D