Fans of Eloisa James & Julia Quinn discussion

Monday Puzzler > February 2, 2015

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susan (new)

Susan (shaydock) | 671 comments “I made you two new shirts, and by the end of next week, you’ll have a waistcoat, a frock, and a second pair of breeches.”
He actually blushed.
“ Breeches? How did you…get the fit?”
If he was red, Heroine was even redder. “I um…measured your leg while you slept.”
“Did you now? Well…if I might have my original ones in the interim, it would make me feel a bit more…covered.”
Her cheeks were blazing. “Of course---I’ll be right back.”
A moment later, she was handling him both a fresh shirt and the breeches that a friend and a friend had removed from his inert body, freshly cleaned and white once. More hoping to save both of them further embarrassment; she quickly changed the subject as he placed the clothes on the floor beside his foot. “I hope you like the things I’m making,” she stammered, trying to fill the awkwardness left by the recent turn of their conversation. “I know you’re probably used to fine silks, velvets and satina, but homespun and various sorts of wool are really about all we have, I’m afraid….”
“Heroine .”
“Hero .”
He gave her that special smile that melted everything inside her. “You are an angel. And don’t forget it.”
“You are an angel. And don’t forget it.”
If the smile had set her heart a-twirl, than a compliment like that was enough to spin her off her feet. Thank heavens he couldn’t know how the simplest things he did and said, affected her! Leaving him to his ablutions, she slipped into the parlor, shutting the door behind her and learning heavily against it. She tipped her head back and put a hand over her rapidly pounding heart.
She was all out of breath.
Beyond the door, she could hear him moving about. A curse as he bumped his elbow on something, and now splashing, pauses as he scrubbed himself. More splashing Heroine couldn’t help it – her knees grew weak as unbidden, her mind conjured up deliciously wicked images of him, tall, strong, virile and ---oh!—stark naked. Her blood went all hot and prickly at the thought and she put her palms to her suddenly warm cheeks. Stop that! She told herself. She shouldn’t be fantasizing about Hero, he already had a fiancée, and besides, he was so far beyond her reach that she might as well dream of touching the stars.
Presently, the splashing stopped, and there was silence. She imagined him toweling himself dry. She imagined him feeling about, trying to find his clothes. And she imagined him donning his new shirt, the tiny stiches she made, the fabric she had cut, lying so intimately against his clean, warm skin---
“Heroine?”
She jumped guiltily and yanked open the door. There he stood barefoot and bare-chested, clad only in his breeches and nothing else. With his fingers, he had slicked back his wet hair, and there was an apologetic little smile on his face. He was holding the damp towel in one hand.
Heroine swallowed and stared. Oh, please God, don’t let me be thinking of him the way I’m thinking of him. He has a fiancée who loves him, this is wrong, wrong!
But she couldn’t help the direction of her thoughts. Not with him looking the way he did. Stray bubbles of soap still clung to shoulders that were wide and powerful, clung to upper arms strapped with muscle, clung to the damp hair on his chest and now rode a trickle of water down his concave belly and toward his waistband. Heroine gaze followed the trickle, arrived at the waistband—
And froze .
“You m-missed some of the soap ” She said faintly.
“Yes, I know. Do you think you could wipe it off?” he asked, offering the towel.
Heroine hesitated. Now that he was awake and capable of feeling her touch, now that she knew he had a fiancée, and now that she had these---thoughts about him, she didn’t think touching him was such a good idea. It was one thing while he was unconscious and somewhat anonymous, but not now. Not now, with her body responding to him the way it was, not now with the knowledge that he fiancée who loved him. If she were “the fiancée” would she want some other woman wiping soap off of her man?”
Certainly not!
“Heroine?”
“Y- Yes”
He smiled in a pained sort of way. “My skin, perhaps because I am fair, is not as robust as the rest of me. It is sensitive to soap reside. Though I cannot see it, of course, I know that I haven’t got it all off because I am starting to itch like the devil, and I am afraid that if something isn’t soon done about it, I shall end up looking as though I have the pox.”
Heroine gulped. “Do you think “your fiancée” will mind?”
“Mind what?”
“Well the soap … my wiping it off seems to be a rather intimate gesture, and I don’t want to do anything that wouldn’t be right…”
“Heroine, what the devil are you on about? You’ve cared for me these past days and probably saw things no gentle maid should have seen, and now this? You’re only wiping off soap, for heaven’s sake, not kissing me---“
“I’ve already done that as well. “
“What?”
“Well, you kissed me, I should say. Quite without my knowing you were going to do so, and while you were half out of your head thinking I was your “fiancée”
“I do not remember kissing you, so therefore it doesn’t quite matter, does it?”
“Heroine?” He held the towel straight out. “Please, I am on fire. In another five minutes I shall be covered with tiny red spots. Surely, wiping excess soap from my skin is nothing more intimate than what you’ve been doing for me during the entire time I lay ill?”
“Yes, but then you were unconscious…and then, I didn’t know you had a fiancée.”
“My fiancée is not so jealous, or lacking in confidence, that she would regard such a favor on your part as an intrusion or a crime” he said, beginning t sound impatient.
Heroine bit her lip. “very well then,” she said and reaching out, too the damp towel. She dipped it into what remained of the clean hot water, wrung it out, and gingerly touched it to his neck.
I guess you will have to read the book to find out what happens next.

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan (susaninaz) | 1004 comments Either hives or kissing will ensue, unless this is one of those unexpected novels, where Heroine trips over something. Make me wrong, Author, I dare you!

message 3: by Manda (new)

Manda Collins (manda_collins) | 1898 comments Mod
Love it! It seems familiar but I might be confusing it with another "hero is injured and the heroine has to take care of him in close quarters" story.

message 4: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2081 comments Mod
Nope definitely haven't read a soap allergy book.

message 5: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 320 comments I'm with Dls here! I await the title and author....

message 6: by Daniellegn (new)

Daniellegn | 213 comments Sounds intriguing!

message 7: by Susan (new)

Susan (shaydock) | 671 comments All will be revealed later today.

message 8: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (cvenable16) | 136 comments Patiently waiting.... :)

message 9: by Susan (last edited Feb 04, 2015 06:13AM) (new)

Susan (shaydock) | 671 comments Yes, well she did not trip or anything that dramatic my oh my a great read.

THE BELOVED ONE by Danelle Harmon

message 10: by Poison Ivy (new)

Poison Ivy (poisonivy2020) | 14 comments hmmm i would have read this book IF it didn't bother me so much that the hero is to be betrothed to another impregnated chit but marries another.it quiteeeee bothers me.

message 11: by Susan (new)

Susan (shaydock) | 671 comments This is the second in a series and the story in the first explains the girl and child and their fate. Sometimes series can catch you off guard if not read in order.

message 12: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Hill | 487 comments I am pretty sure I read this....or something similar..,

message 13: by Susan (new)

Susan (susaninaz) | 1004 comments Huh? He gets first Girlfriend pregnant, gets engaged, then makes nookie with second girlfriend WHILE first is pregnant and waiting to get married before her belly pops?

Somehow, an allergy to soap will not redeem that. Unless it was someone else who got Firstie preggers.

Sorry, I'm in a sour mood today. When I feel better from my stomach bug, I'll need to check this one out. I'll probably love it then.

message 14: by Manda (new)

Manda Collins (manda_collins) | 1898 comments Mod
I've heard good things about Danielle Harmon, but never read her. I'll have to check this out. I'm a sucker for the old hero-needs-nursing scenario! (I'll defer judgement on the enceinte fiancee until I read the book, though. It's in the telling for me.)

message 15: by Susan (new)

Susan (shaydock) | 671 comments Well it is about a group of brothers whose lives are intertwined. Reading in order is a must. I guess Susan we all have our preferences. I like the series and like how supportive they are all of each other. I am a real history buff and realize that pregnancies occurred with many, no TV in those days which were unplanned. In my research of family they sometimes ended up with the father of the child and sometimes with someone else.

message 16: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2081 comments Mod
Judging by the summary of book 1 the pregnancy is by a brother not by him. I haven't tried her either.. . Sounds like it's time

message 17: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 320 comments I haven't read anything by her either. What time period is this book set in?

message 18: by Susan (last edited Feb 05, 2015 06:33AM) (new)

Susan (susaninaz) | 1004 comments Susan wrote: "Well it is about a group of brothers whose lives are intertwined. Reading in order is a must. I guess Susan we all have our preferences. I like the series and like how supportive they are all of ea..."
Thank you Very Much for the insightful clarification. I adore series that include supportive men, so now I Must find these books.
Thanks again!

message 19: by Irisheyes (new)

Irisheyes | 893 comments I read this series a long time ago and really like it. I've kept all the books so maybe I'll pull them out and have a re-read.

message 20: by Susan (new)

Susan (shaydock) | 671 comments smile and realize nothing happens but for a reason