Science Fiction Aficionados discussion

Worldwired (Jenny Casey, #3)
This topic is about Worldwired
Series Read: Women Authors > Worldwired (Jenny Casey #3)

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Megan Baxter | 277 comments Mod
We come to the last book in the trilogy, Worldwired. I've certainly been enjoying my journey with Jenny Casey so far. How about you guys?

LindaJ^ (lindajs) | 260 comments I held off as long as I could but dived into Worldwired and finished yesterday. I like the first two books, but I found this one more satisfying. It may seem strange to say this, but Jenny seems to have matured immensely over the three books and to finally be comfortable in her own skin (well, maybe not all her own skin!).

Alexa (AlexaNC) | 302 comments Me too - I finished Scardown and dived right into Worldwired - these are immensely appealing books!

Alexa (AlexaNC) | 302 comments These aliens are really alien!

Megan Baxter | 277 comments Mod
Yeah, they really are! I quite enjoy that.

Alexa (AlexaNC) | 302 comments The other thing she has done here, with the lightest of touches, is create a really diverse cast of characters, and then weave in small but meaningful bits of their cultures. Quite artfully done!

Robert | 45 comments I did like the truely alien aliens as well. Only aspect that bothered me was the time frames. Bear did touch on it, but then kept going. I believe talking billions of years as I recall. A few living things have not changed much over LONG periods - but would a "ship" be recognizable in those time frames.

But a nit - enjoyed all 3 books. And as quite different stories: Hammered bordered on noir cyber-punk; Scardown touched more on global calamaty, climate change and more; and Worldwired touches on space opera, and of course alien contact.
Very nicely put together!!

Alexa (AlexaNC) | 302 comments Yes, I also really liked that, how each book had its own different "flavor" while at the same time clearly being parts 1, 2 and 3 of the same plot. There's a lot of masterful creativity here!

Time frames, hmmm. I guess one could argue that an ecology in perfect balance might not change.... But then compare it to Butler's Xenogenesis culture, which exists through constant change....

Alexa (AlexaNC) | 302 comments This was an excellent series! I'm so glad we read these!