UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Kindle Tips/Tricks discussions > Thoughts on the Voyage after a couple of months

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 02, 2015 12:56AM) (new)

Well, I only got the Voyage because my much loved Paperwhite gave up the ghost and Amazon couldn't help me with it.

I have to say, it's not THAT great. Sure the screen is nice (but you soon forget that it's not inlaid into the black surround. But I can't say the clarity is noticeably better than the PW.

The little pressure points on the sides which turn the pages - I think they're a little pointless and I still just tap the screen to turn the page. The pressure points are just a little too small and you don't instinctively find them without looking at the screen.

The adaptive lighting is clever but I don't find that it sets the screen bright enough and I prefer to control it myself

My biggest gripe is that page turns are still not instantaneous. It's supposed to be a faster processor but there is a slight lag as the text rearranges itself. You get used to it and don't notice it after a while.

In summary, I don't think it's worth the extra price and if anyone is in any doubt about whether to buy a PW or the Voyage I'd probably say unless you're awash with funds, just get the PW with the Amazon cover (or preferably one of the cheaper knock-offs).

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I disagree.

I love the page turn buttons, especially the left side ones as I usually hold it in my left hand. Just that makes it worth the extra money, to me.

The adaptive light is fab. Love how it dims slightly as my eyes adjust.

Love the flush screen. Nor more bits of fluff stuck in the edges.

I don't have any problems with the speed of the page turn. I've got mine set to refresh after every turn.

The battery life is fabulous.

Love the case.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

OK - each to her own then!

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Yep!

Having said that, the PW is a great piece of kit too!

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (Spiderg1rl) (spiderg1rl) | 735 comments I'm with Patti actually.

I love the page turning buttons. I often change hands and it is a feature I'm glad to have back. I never seem to lose them.

The adaptive light saves me having to change it all the time and I'm much more comfortable now when reading.

The flush screen for me is great, like Patti no bits on the inside and if I want to tap the screen for something it doesn't feel like I need to find the edge for the bookmark etc.

I don't know what I have my page turns set to but I don't find it an inconvenience. Then again that was never an issue with the Paperwhite for me so never thought too much about it.

The battery life is more similar to my Paperwhite than I first expected given the Amazon estimates which I'm pleased with.

I also love the clarity of the new screen. I went from a Paperwhite first edition model to this so for me it was quite a change and I love it. Much clearer and crisper.

All in all I love it still more so than I loved my Paperwhite. I have two unofficial cases and they are both great, they keep the slim feel with the protection I want to keep it safe.

Well worth the money especially given I sold the Paperwhite I had before on eBay for a little over £80

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9081 comments Well I like my kindle keyboard, and until it's deid I won't be upgrading.
It's its fifth birthday this year :)

message 7: by Will (new)

Will Once (willonce) | 4053 comments Rosemary (The Nosemanny) wrote: "Well I like my kindle keyboard, and until it's deid I won't be upgrading.
It's its fifth birthday this year :)"

Ditto!

If it ain't broke...

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9081 comments It's a little cracked, to be fair.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Rosemary (The Nosemanny) wrote: "It's a little cracked, to be fair."

Like it's owner? ;)

message 10: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (Spiderg1rl) (spiderg1rl) | 735 comments Rosemary (The Nosemanny) wrote: "It's a little cracked, to be fair."

Me and a colleague were tasked with breaking a Kindle Touch Demo model. Obviously it wasn't supposed to work for an actual user it was only there to show what it could do.

We were both hesitant at first but not long after starting we found that breaking it wasn't as easy as we thought it might be. We were bashing it off a concrete pillar, it scratched the screen but it would have kept working and it didn't crack it. I'm not sure what they really make them out of but they are tough to break believe me. It came between being run over by a delivery lorry that just appeared for next door or the metal pillar.

The metal pillar did the trick just before the lorry got closer.

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9081 comments Gingerlily - Elephant Philosopher wrote: "Rosemary (The Nosemanny) wrote: "It's a little cracked, to be fair."

Like it's owner? ;)"

Yup.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Oh Michelle! Bet that was fun!

Like the time I helped to fit a sunroof in a sports car.

With an axe.

message 13: by Simon (Highwayman) (last edited Feb 04, 2015 12:07AM) (new)

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments I don't like the adaptive light at all and most of the time I ignore the touch screen. To be honest I think it has been over engineered as a book reader. An ereader needs very little.. A screen and a way to page turn.

message 14: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (Spiderg1rl) (spiderg1rl) | 735 comments Patti (baconater) wrote: "Oh Michelle! Bet that was fun!

Like the time I helped to fit a sunroof in a sports car.

With an axe."

It was but yours sounds even more fun :-)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Simon (Highwayman) wrote: "I don't like the adaptive light at all and most of the time I ignore the touch screen. To be honest I think it has been over engineered as a book reader. An ereader needs very little.. A screen a..."

Well, most of the time I ignore you and I think you are over engineered as a book reader.

So there.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments On the other hand, he is just about adequate as a Wordfeud player.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Have to say I've followed Patti's tip and set the page turns to refresh every time and it's quicker now.

I still think it's way overpriced and agree with Simon that an ereader needs very little.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments What do you think would be a fair price for an ereader, Tom?

I've read/heard arguments that the kit should be free, as we are paying for the books.

Mind you, following that argument, the BBC should be supplying us with free tellies, as we are paying the license fee.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Patti (baconater) wrote: "What do you think would be a fair price for an ereader, Tom?

I've read/heard arguments that the kit should be free, as we are paying for the books.

Mind you, following that argument, the BBC shou..."

They should be like ink-jet printers - dead cheap because the inks are expensive

message 20: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments A fair number of people think they come already loaded with books. The number of people that come into the library (knowing we've helped them in the past on the site computers) saying I had this bought me for my birthday. Can you show me how to open the books.

message 21: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (Spiderg1rl) (spiderg1rl) | 735 comments That's just terrible Dave. You would think their loved ones would at least try and explain the device to the receiver. I created an Amazon account and everything for my mother in law when we got hers. OK yes I did buy her a few before removing my card details but we did explain that was part of the gift.

An empty Kindle to someone who doesn't know that is like giving over a blank book when the outside of it says it's something you wanted by your favorite author. For example Fuel to the Fire by David Staniforth having no text on the pages and being all empty inside :-P Now that's just cruel

Tom, I can't help but think most e-books are reasonable in price. Much better than buying a hardback on the day of release or the paperback. I've got a book several times now in the first week of release for 99p. In fact I even preordered a book from a favorite author for 99p. She's published by Mira ink and even if it was a typo by Amazon they honoured it.

Vanessa (aka Dumbo) (vanessaakadumbo) | 8703 comments Well I've had mine two and a half hours now and it's safely in it's new case.
Been having a play about with all the settings and must say I'm really impressed with it. I probably notice a bigger difference because I've come from a KK.
I quite like the page turn 'buttons' and have just got them to how I like it, and love the fact you can brighten or dim the screen yourself or have it self adjust. It's nice that they've given you a choice.
I think they missed a trick with not having text to speech or the ability to play audio books though. It doesn't affect me but it must have been useful for those with impaired sight.
All in all I'm pleased that I bought it.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Yay!

I'm looking forward to going home and collecting my replacement.