Beyond Reality discussion

Gardens of the Moon (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #1)
This topic is about Gardens of the Moon
37 views
SERIES—List & Discussions > Malazan Book of the Fallen--2/15--Gardens of the Moon: Prologue, Books 1 & 2

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kathi | 3221 comments Mod
SPOILERS only through the Prologue, Book 1 Pale, and Book 2 Darujhistan.


message 2: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kathi | 3221 comments Mod
I had been warned that Erikson dumps the reader into the middle of things without much explanation and I am finding that to be true. I think I will print out the list of characters so I don't have to keep turning back to the list in the front of the book. And I need a much bigger map. But I'm getting into it now.


Xan  Shadowflutter (shadowflutter) | 24 comments Yes, but I am loving the writing and world building. Hope my opinion stays that way throughout book 1. I was a bit concerned because so many people have said that book 1 is such an info dump. That could mean rich characters and story down the road. I hope so.


message 4: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kathi | 3221 comments Mod
I am not quite to the end of this section, but I have a few things on my mind.

The first is about Sorry. I understand she has been taken over by Cotillion, somehow, but I haven't figured out whether she still exists (her personality inside her body) and, since Cotillion is somehow in her, is he also still in the body he was in earlier?

I am hoping we get more backstory about the individual remaining members of the Bridgeburners.

I also find the magic system of "warrens" to be fascinating. Hoping for more explanation as the book progresses.


Maggie K | 298 comments I think that the whole 'mystery' of what really happened at Pale is intriguing too. There is something more than meets the eye going on here.


message 6: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kathi | 3221 comments Mod
Maggie wrote: "I think that the whole 'mystery' of what really happened at Pale is intriguing too. There is something more than meets the eye going on here."

Oh, definitely.


Teanka Definitely the warrens magic system is great, and very varied. There will be a lot more coming concerning magic system, throughout the series.

I wonder, how did you like the multiple prologues? That is, 1) 10 years before in Malaz city when Paran was a boy and meets Whiskeyjack; 2)In Itko kan the description of the old witch with 5 candles killed by Cotillion and how Sorry was created and 3)The first meeting of Paran with Lorn ? And only after that we get to the current timeline and to Pale and Tattersail. I remember I liked that right from the first reading and constantly checked the long dramatis personnae list, but then I always love it when a book contains such lists and lots of characters, so maybe I'm strange that way. Also I thought this was a perfect beginning because you start in the very middle of a complex conflict and don't know anything, have to figure it all out, like a puzzle. But over the years I've learned that lots of people think this beginning is hard to get into. So what are your thoughts on the first pages?


Xan  Shadowflutter (shadowflutter) | 24 comments I don't have any problem being dropped into the middle of this. I'm enjoying the writing and world building and will wait on the background and the explanations. This is a 10-book road we are walking down, and I won't mind as long as the journey is fun and fascinating.

What I like best up to this point is the atmosphere Erickson creates. There may be days in Malazan land when the sun shines, but in my mind it is always overcast. There is deception within deception and I'm enjoying watching people navigate the politics and intrigue, when they never know who they can trust. As far as characters go, it's way to early to draw conclusions. I'm really liking Tattersall.

Very impressive so far.


Antonis (antonakis) | 43 comments So I started reading this yesterday and have just finished the Pale part (book 1). I have to say, there was only one thing I found really annoying and frustrating about this book and this was the actual physical book... Yeah, it's too thick and the letters are printed too close to the spine and it's hard to read. So I switched to an e-book about 50-60 pages in and I've been loving this since then! There's hardly any boring page as there's constantly so much going on that I just need to keep turning pages! If this keeps like that until the end I will be very very satisfied!


Xan  Shadowflutter (shadowflutter) | 24 comments Teanka wrote: "Definitely the warrens magic system is great, and very varied. There will be a lot more coming concerning magic system, throughout the series.

I wonder, how did you like the multiple prologues? T..."


Concerning the old witch, I was under the impression she had gotten into Sorry's mind before dying. Wondering how that might affect things?

And did Cotillion kill the old witch? I thought that was a soldier and Cotillion came after.


message 11: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kathi | 3221 comments Mod
Teanka wrote: "I wonder, how did you like the multiple prologues?"

I didn't think of them as multiple Prologues since only the story of Paran as a boy is in the stated Prologue, but I can see how they are, in a way. I tend to be a linear thinker and so I kept checking dates to see when the different event were happening in relation to each other.

I, too, love having a list of characters and refer to it and the maps constantly.

Another puzzlement I have--are Ascendants the same as gods or beings trying to be more like the gods? Did they start out human?

I know we are walking a 10-book journey and I am not looking for answers now, just sharing my questions and speculations and looking for the opinions of others.

I am still in the Darujhistan section, with about 50 pages to go in this part.


message 12: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (last edited Feb 09, 2015 07:19AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kathi | 3221 comments Mod
Xan Shadowflutter wrote: "And did Cotillion kill the old witch? I thought that was a soldier and Cotillion came after."

I think a soldier killed her, backhanding her for "bothering" the fisher girl, and she died when she fell. But just before Cotillion & Ammanas talk to the fisher girl, she (the fisher girl) says, "Here it comes, then" in a voice not her own--my guess is it's Rigga's voice. Rigga's prophecy "lodged in her" like a stone, and maybe more than the prophecy?


message 13: by Antonis (last edited Feb 09, 2015 08:09AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Antonis (antonakis) | 43 comments About Sorry's prologue part, they way I understood it is that the old-witch was just killed by a passing soldier but somehow managed to transfer her soul inside the girl's mind before Cotillion possessed her/them. Also, apparently the witch had some premonition of things to come, because just before the two guys from Shadow approached them she muttered through the girl's lips something like "Here it comes then". Not exactly sure how all that adds up or what role it will play in the future but it's interesting to keep in mind when reading about Sorry.
I just started reading the Darujhistan part (chapter 5) and I'm loving this book thus far!

Edit: Just noticed that I wrote almost the same thing as Kathi! :p


Xan  Shadowflutter (shadowflutter) | 24 comments Kathi wrote: "Teanka wrote: "I wonder, how did you like the multiple prologues?"

I didn't think of them as multiple Prologues since only the story of Paran as a boy is in the stated Prologue, but I can see how ..."


That's a good question about Ascendents. Isn't Tayschrenn referred to as an ascendant by Tattersall? He's not a god. But I also think gods are referred to as ascendents. It's a little vague. I haven't gotten to Darujhistan yet.


Teanka Yes, you're right, it was the soldier who killed the witch, I don't know why I wrote about Cotillion.
And certainly I'm not going to answer your questions as that would spoil the fun. There's going to be a lot more about Ascendants in book 3, but probably also bits and pieces of information already in previous volumes, I don't remember when many things happened anymore which is why I wanted to reread the books in sequence now.

As for the Darujistan part, I love reading about Kruppe. He's one of my favourites, really funny :)


Maggie K | 298 comments Id say it's best to think of Ascendants as the transition before godhood so to say....not really gods but having some godlike powers


message 17: by Ken (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments Antonis wrote: "So I switched to an e-book about 50-60 pages in and I've been loving this since then!"
I switched also, but not due to the book. My eyes suck and I couldnt see the words properly. Since then I have a new perscription and I am back!
They trials of getting older. Ha


message 18: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kathi | 3221 comments Mod
Just finished Book 2, Darujhistan. It's moving along faster.

The conversation between Baruk and Anomander Rake was both enlightening and puzzling.

And I was surprised that that spinning coin was a physical coin. Crokus will no doubt play a key role as the story progresses.


Maggie K | 298 comments Kathi wrote: "Just finished Book 2, Darujhistan. It's moving along faster.

The conversation between Baruk and Anomander Rake was both enlightening and puzzling.

And I was surprised that that spinning coin was ..."


Crokus has a lot of growth in the story, that's for sure


Helen Just finished book 2.

I like Paran, Krokus, Tattersail, and the assassin. Intrigued by Baruk. Sorry is somewhat scary, at least her gang are aware of that.

Funny you should mention the paperback vs e-book. This is my first paperback in a long time. I'm really struggling.I've only read about 45 pages since Monday. I can't decide if it's because I haven't latched on to a key character, they do swap around, or if it's because the book is so unwieldy. Now you mention it, it is printed close to the spine- does that have such an effect. The map is tiny however you don't get one of any use in a kindle.

Reading on, later people.


Antonis (antonakis) | 43 comments I won't say it's the best book I've read, but it certainly is one of the most enjoyable I've read for years. I just can't stop reading!! There's so much happening it's crazy and I love it. I thought the book was great until book 3-4 but it gets even better now!
As for the physical book, I like the typeset (Goudy) a lot but I'm reading mostly from the ebook and use the real book only to reference the maps and glossaries.


Helen I've become a lot more gripped today, plus as I'm a good third in the weight is even!


Helen Is anyone else reminded of the 'ways' in WOT, in regard to the warrens?


message 24: by Ken (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments When you say it I think yes
Then as I think about now I say no

A warren isnt just for travelling they are so much more.


message 25: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kathi | 3221 comments Mod
Helen wrote: "Is anyone else reminded of the 'ways' in WOT, in regard to the warrens?"

That did not occur to me. I think there is a lot about the Warrens that we have yet to learn.


Helen I know they are different, it just seemed to link in my mind.


message 27: by Tani (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tani | 132 comments I'm in the group that's having a bit of a trouble because the physical copy of the book is printed so close to the spine. It's getting easier now that I'm further in, but the beginning was definitely a struggle.

The book is a lot less grim than I expected, and I love the humor of the characters. It's also far less confusing than I expected! I really thought I would be completely lost, but though I know I don't know everything, I do feel like things are taking enough of a shape for me to keep track of the outlines of the plot.

My interest has been a little limited, but I think that's just because it hasn't let me really know the characters yet. I'm hoping that things will pick up a little for me in this coming book, as we're back with Whiskeyjack. Darujhistan was a bit hard because it jumped around so much that I couldn't form any kind of attachment.

Still, I'm enjoying it a lot, and am excited to really get into the story!


message 28: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kathi | 3221 comments Mod
Tani wrote: "I'm in the group that's having a bit of a trouble because the physical copy of the book is printed so close to the spine. It's getting easier now that I'm further in, but the beginning was definite..."

I felt exactly the same way, Tani. The book was less bleak because of those flashes of humor and a lot of the dialogue. And the story is coherent enough to follow--maybe not the "big picture" but certainly the smaller subplots that occur in this book. I think you will start feeling more familiar with the characters as the book progresses. My reading pace definitely picked up as I read farther into it.


back to top