Time Travel discussion

Newsletters > February 2015 Newsletter

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy, Queen of Time (last edited Feb 02, 2015 11:01AM) (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
TIME TRAVEL BOOK CLUB
This month features works by William Gibson twice since we’re reading both a novel and short story by him.

We’ll be reading The Peripheral by William Gibson The Peripheral by William Gibson in February and March. Gibson is known for the cyberpunk novel Neuromancer (among others). Now see how he does time travel.

You can drop in on this long-term reading project for the STORIES FROM The Time Traveler's Almanac by Ann VanderMeer The Time Traveler's Almanac at any time (3 of the 4 are available online and linked following). For February, we’re reading the following:
• Feb. 1: “HOW THE FUTURE GOT BETTER” by Eric Schaller (4 pgs)
• Feb. 8: “PALE ROSES” by Michael Moorcock (26 pgs)
• Feb. 15: “THE GERNSBACK CONTINUUM” by William Gibson (8 pgs)
• Feb. 22: “THE THREADS OF TIME” by C.J. Cherryh (5 pgs)

VOTE FOR OUR APRIL & MAY BOOK CLUB BOOKS

NEW TIME TRAVEL BOOKS BY GROUP MEMBERS
Mark Speed’s latest Doctor How time travel comedic novel, DOCTOR HOW AND THE DEADLY ANEMONES comes out March 9th and is available for pre-order.
Peer Through Time by David T. Pennington Peer Through Time by David T. Pennington
• Don’t forget Nathan Van Coops’s Groundhog Day publication of The Chronothon by Nathan Van Coops The Chronothon.
The Crossing Hour by Quoleena Sbrocca The Crossing Hour by Quoleena Sbrocca
The Space between Thought by William M. Dean The Space between Thought by William M. Dean
Hitler's Time Machine by Robert F. Dorr Hitler's Time Machine by Robert F. Dorr

FREE BOOKS
Scroll on down to the bottom of Page 10 for THE LATEST FREE TIME TRAVEL BOOKS Randy’s dug up for us from the internet. The last ones posted are the most likely to still be available.

TIME
"THE ILLUSION OF TIME" (available only to read for paid subscription holders to New Scientist )

"TIME IS AN ILLUSION: PAST, PRESENT, AND FUTURE ALL EXIST NOW", a video presentation from Brian Greene, Professor of Physics and Mathematics at Columbia University.

"THE TIME MACHINE OF CONSCIOUSNESS, COSMOLOGY OF MIND, AND QUANTUM PHYSICS OF TIME TRAVEL" contains 33 peer reviewed scholarly articles which cover a wide variety of issues related to the cosmology, neuroscience and quantum physics of consciousness and the experience of time.

TIME TRAVEL MOVIES AND MOVIE STARS
ETHAN HAWKE ON PREDESTINATION, TIME TRAVEL, AND WHY HE LOVES SCI-FI (video).

CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE with these 5 TV spots for Paramount Pictures’ long-delayed found-footage time travel movie, PROJECT ALMANAC.

TIME TRAVEL TELEVISION
HINDSIGHT is a new show on VH1 that explores the idea of being able to do the 90s over again with knowledge of the future.

EVERY FAMILY GUY TIME TRAVEL EPISODE RANKED

THE FLASH TO FOCUS ON TIME TRAVEL NEXT SEASON

TIME TRAVEL SHORTS
RECURSION

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*LINCOLN’S PIECE OF SPACE & TIME ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

JANUARY GIVEAWAY WINNER
Congratulations to Paul Levinson, winner of a signed paperback of Marking Time (Immortal Descendants, #1) by April White Marking Time by April White. If you want to pick up the ebook for free it is available here.

FEBRUARY GIVEAWAY:
For a chance to win The Chronothon by Nathan Van Coops The Chronothon by co-moderator Nathan Van Coops simply answer the question of what non-human companion you would take along with you in your time travels.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

message 2: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 424 comments Hubby and I went to see Project Almanac on the weekend, and I was disappointed. I also do not enjoy the single camera shaking all over the place type of filming (I am sure there is a more technical name for this). I would say wait for the DVD on this one.

message 3: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Heather wrote: "Hubby and I went to see Project Almanac on the weekend, and I was disappointed. I also do not enjoy the single camera shaking all over the place type of filming (I am sure there is a more technical..."

Yeah, I'm not that big a fan of Blair-Witch-esque camera shaking. I bet that's even more annoying on the big screen. It seems like a great concept movie, but it's sad that it didn't transcend the concept. Oh well.

message 4: by Tej (new)

Tej (theycallmemrglass) | 1725 comments Mod
Heather wrote: "Hubby and I went to see Project Almanac on the weekend, and I was disappointed. I also do not enjoy the single camera shaking all over the place type of filming (I am sure there is a more technical..."

As usual, I have to wait longer for your stateside movies to reach us in UK...but not too long this time, its coming out here this Friday. Looking forward to it even if its as bad as you say, I'll lower my expectations :)