Bookworm Belles discussion

Northanger Abbey
This topic is about Northanger Abbey
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > Jade and Jess

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Bookworm Belles Moderators (BookwormBelles) | 88 comments Discuss your book here :D

Jade SiL  Carstairs  (jadesil) | 253 comments Thanks!
We have shared our February TBR shelves with each other and chose two books for this Buddy Reading:
Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1) by Charlaine Harris Uglies (Uglies, #1) by Scott Westerfeld

We're starting with Dead Until Dark :D

message 3: by Savannah, Founding Mother-Creator (new)

Savannah (vannah09) | 1261 comments Mod
If you choose to do a second one, you'll have to pick something other than Uglies. We don't allow Books of the Month for the same month as the buddy read. Since we're reading it as a group. Buddy reads is meant as something to read a book not being read by the group but still having someone to discuss it with.
Thank you.

Jade SiL  Carstairs  (jadesil) | 253 comments Aww... That's ok, we'll change it.

message 5: by Savannah, Founding Mother-Creator (new)

Thanks hun!

Jade SiL  Carstairs  (jadesil) | 253 comments The second book will be:
Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen

Jade SiL  Carstairs  (jadesil) | 253 comments I just started Dead Until Dark and, I don't know if this happens to everyone but I cannot read it without picturing the tv show. Luckily, I just watched the first season so, for better or worse, this won't be happening for the second book.

Jess | 400 comments I haven't seen the T.V. show but if I like the books I'm considering watching it.

Did you like the show?

Jade SiL  Carstairs  (jadesil) | 253 comments I did, actually. But it's not a family show, If you know what I mean.
If there's a "steamy part" in the book, then it would be five times worse in the Tv show. The thing is my TV is in the family room ;(
Maybe, after I finish the book, I'll watch it on Netflix.

message 10: by Jess (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jess | 400 comments I'm finally going to start the book. Hopefully I like it and decide to continue with the series. :)

Jade SiL  Carstairs  (jadesil) | 253 comments Yeah, specially since there are 14 books in the series ;)

Jade SiL  Carstairs  (jadesil) | 253 comments Very often, when I read Sookie's dialogues, I play them in my head with the characteristic southern accent, or at least, with what I think is a southern accent.

message 13: by Jess (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jess | 400 comments I do that too sometimes. Are I like to visual an actor or actress that fit that character.

Jade SiL  Carstairs  (jadesil) | 253 comments Yes!! First I decide which actors fit with the characters, then I google some pictures of them and create a collage. Finally I set it as a wallpaper on my cellphone.
I know it's lame but otherwise I tend to mix the faces as I keep on reading.
For example, this is my collage for SOULLESS.

description

message 15: by Jess (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jess | 400 comments Oh, WOW! I love it!! :D
Soulless is a very good series. Gail Carriger is one of my favorite authors.

message 16: by Savannah, Founding Mother-Creator (new)

Jade SiL wrote: "I did, actually. But it's not a family show, If you know what I mean.
If there's a "steamy part" in the book, then it would be five times worse in the Tv show. The thing is my TV is in the family ..."

Since it's an HBO show, I don't know that it will ever be on Netflix... But HBOgo has all 7 seasons! :D

Jade SiL  Carstairs  (jadesil) | 253 comments Savannah wrote: "Jade SiL wrote: "I did, actually. But it's not a family show, If you know what I mean.
If there's a "steamy part" in the book, then it would be five times worse in the Tv show. The thing is my TV..."

I could see it on their page? Full episodes?! HOLY COW!!!

message 18: by Savannah, Founding Mother-Creator (new)

What I can't believe HBO would've sold their rights to True Blood... better for us though! Lol!

Jade SiL  Carstairs  (jadesil) | 253 comments I finished this book, but I can assure you I'm not done with the series :D
It was and easy reading that kept me hooked until the end.
Although I enjoyed it more than the Tv show because it wasn't so  edgy, I'll be watching the show soon just to close the circle.

Now I wish I had a friend like Sookie Stackhouse (without the mind reading), always so lively, considered and respectful. The good thing is I have 13 more books about her, so I won't be missing her for a while.

message 20: by Jess (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jess | 400 comments I finished the book. Sadly I don't think I'll be continuing the series. It isn't "My" type of book.

Sookie was an okay character and the whole mind reading thing is cool but kind of scary. I wouldn't want to be able to read people's minds all the time.
I was honestly surprised to find out who the killer was, for some reason I kept thinking it was the sheriff.
I strongly disliked her brother Jason, I can't believe he told his own sister "to get over it" after knowing what their uncle used to do to her when she was a little girl.
I wasn't that big of a fan of Bill either, I liked Eric better even though we didn't read that much of him

Jade SiL  Carstairs  (jadesil) | 253 comments Yeah, but I think the author is trying to direct our attention towards Sookie, unlike others that make it all about THE vampire, like it happens in Twilight, for example.
I believe that Sookie's love life is gonna improve as we continue reading, because what we see here, Jess, is that they are not perfect. Bill is far from being perfect, and so are Eric and Sam; and I , personally, like that. It means she has many choices, and it's not going to be a predictable one.
I don't like Bill either, and I think Sookie is with him just because he was the first man to bet on her. I hope that she soon realizes that he's definitely not the only one.
So that is why I need to continue reading this series! :P

message 22: by Jess (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jess | 400 comments I agree, I think she decided to be with him because she can't read his mind and that he actually took the chance with her and he didn't treat her differently because of the whole mind reading thing.

message 23: by Jess (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jess | 400 comments I'm going to be starting Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen today

Jade SiL  Carstairs  (jadesil) | 253 comments Great! I wil too, then.

Jade SiL  Carstairs  (jadesil) | 253 comments Hey Jess! You remember what you said about Sookie and Eric? Well, all I'm saying is you should definitely think about reading Living Dead in Dallas (Sookie Stackhouse, #2) by Charlaine Harris (wink, wink). :P

message 26: by Jess (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jess | 400 comments Sookie & Eric together :D
I think I am going to read it.

message 27: by Jess (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jess | 400 comments On pg 136 of Northanger Abbey- I don't like Isabelle, she's highly annoying and I have suspicion that she isn't a true friend.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.