The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks discussion

Is this a femininst book?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mikaela (last edited Feb 01, 2015 08:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mikaela I really enjoyed reading this book. I came away from it feeling empowered to pull pranks on people but not necessarily womanly empowered. I know she is trying to prove to herself she can be as smart and as cunning as the boys. She also wants Alpha and Matthew to respect her but she still wants and needs there approval as if it is the only thing holding her to this earth. I know in the end of the story she is at peace with herself and doesn't end up with the guy, even though it leads on for her and Alpha to get together. So I'm confused would it classify as a feminist novel?

Deanna (A Novel Glimpse) I wouldn't necessarily say it was a feminist novel. I thought of it more as a coming of age novel.

Mikaela Yeah I agree it is a coming of age novel

Brandy B I don't think Frankie herself is a feminist as she doesn't care so much about women being able to compete in an all male world so much as she cares about Frankie being able to participate in this all male society.

But I do think the novel is feminist in the way that people who read it are exposed to gender politics and may take more away from it than Frankie as a character did.

Lena I also don't think it's feminist. A lot of Frankie's pranks are to impress her boyfriend and his friends and make them see how smart she is. She doesn't seem to want to be a strong woman as much as she wants to be one of the boys.

I loved this novel, but I would never call it feminist.

Ellen I feel like it's a good commentary on how frustrating it can be for girls to establish themselves in male-dominated spaces. I don't think Lockhart is necessarily trying to paint Frankie as an admirable character so much as an impressive one. There are so many impressive male characters in literature who aren't necessary 'good people' but are 'awesome' in the most traditional sense of the word. I like to think of her more like Stephen King's 'Carrie'- a product of a harmful environment.