Bookworm Belles discussion

Jane Eyre
This topic is about Jane Eyre
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > Let's discuss Jane Eyre

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Bookworm Belles Moderators (BookwormBelles) | 88 comments Please feel free to make any comments, predictions and reviews here! Let's discuss Jane Eyre.

Ally (Separate Minds Book Blog) This book is my absolute favorite. I won't be reading it again(too busy) but I may join the discussion.

Jess | 400 comments I haven't read many classics but out of the ones I have read this one was my favorite. I loved the 2 main characters and I have to admit the ending made me cry.

Angela I didn't like the ending. I felt like it was just there to make it a standard "happy ending". I felt like it should have ended (view spoiler)

Jess | 400 comments (view spoiler)

Angela YES! That was a great part. Everything made so much more sense after that.

message 7: by Katy (last edited Feb 05, 2015 05:25AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy H (the_other_katy) | 223 comments I'm with you, Ally - I adored the book, but I doubt I'll get around to re-reading it.

I can't bring myself to criticize Brontë's work though...IDK if it's just because I loved the book that much or because she's Charlotte Brontë...I honestly see no flaws in the work.

Then again, I found Dracula fascinating and I've been told that's borderline insane. (Excuse me for not being bored by recordings of other peoples' private-ish correspondence! LMBO)

Jessica I can't reread this one again although I love the story, characters are so in depth and well thought out, but I'll be joining the discussion as well with Katy and Ally! I like Angela's thought of ending the book on a sadder note. I think the book kind of warrants a sadder ending anyways. It has very dark undertones and the happy ending was sort of out of the blue in my opinion. It was just so convenient to get rid of the crazy wife, that Rochester's daughter (or not?) loved Jane, etc. etc. It just all fell too neatly into place. Also Mr. Rochester... creep? psycho?

message 9: by Savannah, Founding Mother-Creator (new) - added it

Savannah (vannah09) | 1261 comments Mod
Don't worry about re-reading hun!! we don't expect you to re-read or even read all 4. if you're really active we welcome and encourage it, but do not require it.

message 10: by Ally (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ally (Separate Minds Book Blog) I suppose it was maybe too convenient, but I don't think I'd want it to end differently. Jane is one my favorite characters from literature, and I desperately wanted a happy ending for her.

Jessica I do agree with that; Jane is a great character who went through a lot with her best friend dying, living in that orphanage. Maybe I wanted more for her. But you can't help who you love I guess!

message 12: by Yun (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yun Yi | 2 comments I once thought Rebecca was my all time favorite, but after re-read Jane Eyre, it replaced Rebecca as my favorite. Jane Eyre has most of what Rebecca has but it is more powerful, character is deeper developed.

I wonder who knows another book/books similar to Jane Eyre? I read part of Villette, but didn't like it as much as Jane Eyre.

message 13: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy H (the_other_katy) | 223 comments I agree with Jessica. I kept thinking Mr. Rochester was a bit creepy/psycho too, but I still wanted them to get together -until she had to leave. Then I just wanted her to 1. not die and 2. maybe get together with the man who so obviously liked her from the other town, (can you tell it's been a while since I read this one?) but I also agree with Jessica that you can't help who you love. I guess for Jane it was creepy, psycho Mr. Rochester.

Iulia (iuliagotbooks) | 7 comments Yun wrote: "I once thought Rebecca was my all time favorite, but after re-read Jane Eyre, it replaced Rebecca as my favorite. Jane Eyre has most of what Rebecca has but it is more powerful, character is deeper..."

The Rosary is a very similar book IMO. It's written at almost the same time (~19th century), the main character is also named Jane, she's described as "plain Jane" and the male character is also somehow like Mr. Rochester, he's kinda irresponsible and lives his life to the fullest until something happens to him (won't spoil it to you :) ) and he realizes that he loves Jane. It's a very comforting read, I loved it a lot. There are some moral aspects just as in Jane Eyre.

message 15: by Yun (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yun Yi | 2 comments Iulia wrote: "The Rosary is a very similar book IMO...."
Thanks Iulia. It does sound similar and will put it on my reading list.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.