Romance Audiobooks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > February 2015 Non-Romance Listening

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lea's Audiobooks (last edited Feb 01, 2015 07:50PM) (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) A new thread for a new month.

I'm not listening to a non-romance at this time. Are you?

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments finished up The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy on the way into work this am - makes me wonder why I never picked these up before - I'm going to have to add the rest of the series to the to-read/to-listen pile

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (nicholebookaholic) | 225 comments I'm listening to No Such Thing as Werewolves by Chris Fox for review

message 4: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments I'm listening to Crocodile on the Sandbank - the version narrated by Barbara Rosenblat - and it's sooo good! Amelia is the type of self-sufficient heroine that I like: she's strong, opinionated but she doesn't think her opinion is the one that matters. She cares for other people and has such a way of looking at things. There's a romance going on but neither her nor the guy have realized it yet. They are such a freaking funny couple.

message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments i think I read that book DG but never went any further - its on my list of series to continue

message 6: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 16 comments Oh, I LOVED The Mummy Curse as narrated by Barbara Rosenblatt!! I really connected to this series and periodically reread/re-listen to it.

message 7: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 1949 comments Mod
D.G. wrote: "I'm listening to Crocodile on the Sandbank - the version narrated by Barbara Rosenblat - and it's sooo good! Amelia is the type of self-sufficient heroine that I like: she's strong, o..."

Sounds good. I reserve this at my library.

message 8: by D.G. (last edited Feb 03, 2015 09:48AM) (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments I finished Crocodile on the Sandbank and ended up loving it! What a romp! There wasn't too much of a mystery but the shenanigans of these characters were so funny. I loved Amelia and Emerson, they are such a great couple...and what a "courtship". This is one of those books where the couple bicker a lot but they were so funny together. He couldn't have been more perfect for her.

Anyhow, I loved it so much that I immediately started The Curse of the Pharaohs. I had to spend a credit because my library only has the version narrated by an American. I mean really, why have an American narrator (narrating with American accent, no less) where pretty much everybody in the book is British?

message 9: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) I'm listening to so many non-romance books at the moment. I need to finish a couple so I can get back to romance.

The Secret Place (Dublin Murder Squad, #5) by Tana French - the Dublin accents (according to my Dublin-born hubby!) are great

Lucky Us by Amy Bloom - I'm tired of this book, but it's only 6 CDs and I just started the 5th, so I suppose I'll get on with it. The narration is fine, but the author constantly weaves in letters written by one sister to the other describing in great detail things that happened to the two of the while they lived together. Unless there's a big twist at the end where the sister had some major memory loss, it's incredibly annoying.

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens - Simon Vance narration, so I'm delighted with this. My son's reading the book for school & we're listening to it together, which makes it slow going but is fun when we have time for it.

message 10: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) D.G. wrote: "I finished Crocodile on the Sandbank and ended up loving it! What a romp! There wasn't too much of a mystery but the shenanigans of these characters were so funny. I loved Amelia and ..."

Unfortunately, Scribd has the Susan O'Malley rather than Barbara Rosenblat narration :0(

message 11: by Melissa (last edited Feb 05, 2015 09:44AM) (new)

Melissa (honeybee73) | 162 comments Lauren wrote: Unfortunately, Scribd has the Susan O'Malley rather than Barbara Rosenblat narration :0(

OneClickDigital has a copy of Crocodile on the Sandbank and the rest of the series all narrated by Barbara Rosenblat if you have access to it through your library.

message 12: by Wwnise (new)

Wwnise | 58 comments Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn I downloaded this book months ago, but I read a surprise spoiler on a entertainment site, I decided I needed to listen before the entire book is spoiled for me. So far So good........

message 13: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Melissa wrote: "OneClickDigital has a copy of Crocodile on the Sandbank and the rest of the series all narrated by Barbara Rosenblat if you have access to it through your library. "

Thanks Melissa but I don't live in the US, so I don't have access to OneClickDigital and the selection of English books (let alone audiobooks) in my local library is very limited :0(

message 14: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments My library doesn't have OneClickDigital either. :(

message 15: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) D.G. wrote: "My library doesn't have OneClickDigital either. :("

Bummer!

I'm going to get it from Audible UK. Audible US only has the Susan O'Malley version :0(

message 16: by D.G. (last edited Feb 06, 2015 09:14AM) (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments I've got the Barbara Rosenblat versions in the US...I even got the first book in one of those 1st in series sales that Audible has (of course, now they got me because with 19 books published, I'll probably have to fork a full credit for the rest.)

ETA: I see now it says it's not available in the US! WTH!!

message 17: by Kym (new)

Kym | 99 comments I'm listening to Freedom's Landing I spent my adolescence with Anne McCaffrey, but I moved on to something else by the time this was written. I'll probably add something romance and have me and two books at once (livre a trios?).

message 18: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth_greece) | 26 comments I finished:
Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty , loved it and great narration
Impulse (Faces of Evil #2) by Debra Webb , I didn't enjoyed it as much as the previous one and the narration was part of the reason
I'm listening to Calculated in Death (In Death, #36) by J.D. Robb

message 19: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 4029 comments Mod
Elizabeth wrote: "I finished:
Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty, loved it and great narration
Impulse (Faces of Evil #2) by Debra Webb, I didn't enjoyed it as much as the previous one and the narration was part of the reaso..."

Loved Big Little Lies, including the narration. Liked Impulse, less than the first two but I also read instead of listened to it.

message 20: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 563 comments I am listening to The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins and it's pretty miserable

message 21: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Finished Crocodile on the Sandbank (Amelia Peabody #1) by Elizabeth Peters , which I chose due to D.G.'s review - thanks D.G.

However, unlike D.G., I listened to Susan O'Malley's narration and enjoyed it quite a bit. While her accent isn't that of a native Brit, it was close enough for me.

I simply could not listen to Barbara Rosenblat. To me, she sounded like a pompous, middle-aged curmudgeon. It isn't the first time I've quit a book she was narrating. I guess, she just doesn't do it for me, lol!

message 22: by Jonetta (new)

I'm starting Kisscut by Karin Slaughter.
Kisscut by Karin Slaughter

message 23: by Jewlzy (new)

Jewlzy | 110 comments I just finished Ghettoside A Story of Murder in America by Jill Leovy . This non-fiction book is a compelling detective drama and police procedural. Rebecca Lowman is pitch perfect as the voice of Jill Leovy, the LA times reporter who embedded with the homicide detectives of the Watts station in South L.A. I could not stop listening.

message 24: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments I'm listening to The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater , an audiobook I've started multiple times. I'm doing a BR with a bunch of people so I can't finish it this time, I'll just let it go.

message 25: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (honeybee73) | 162 comments D.G. wrote: "I'm listening to The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater, an audiobook I've started multiple times. I'm doing a BR with a bunch of people so I can't finish it this time, I'll just let it go."

This is one of my favorite audiobooks. Once I figured out that it wasn't The Hunger Games on horseback, I listened patiently waiting to see what it was going to be about. About half way through I unexpectedly fell in love with it...everything about it. The dual narration is wonderful and the story is so unique.

message 26: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Finished Homicide in Hardcover (A Bibliophile Mystery, #1) by Kate Carlisle - a cute cozy mystery albeit a little slow and there are not enough clues for the reader to guess the villain's identity.

Eileen Stevens' narration is fantastic. Her accents are excellent, especially her British stiff upper lip voice for Derek Stone. It gave me the shivers.

message 27: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments Melissa wrote: "DG, if you read some reviews, you will see you are not in the minority. There was a lot of outrage even on facebook. There really was. Again, I completely understand and respect your perspective on on it "

I hope the same thing happens to me, Melissa. I'm around a third of the way in and so far, there's nothing that's calling out to me, except for the male narrator's voice. I don't get Puck and what she's trying to accomplish - it seems silly to stake your life with very little to gain - and I don't know how this will end well. That island is horrible with those horses! I wouldn't want to live there.

message 28: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) Lauren wrote: "I simply could not listen to Barbara Rosenblat. To me, she sounded like a pompous, middle-aged curmudgeon. It isn't the first time I've quit a book she was narrating. I guess, she just doesn't do it for me, lol! "

Ha! Maybe that's why I loved listening to her for all of the Dorothy Gilman Mrs. Pollifax books - she was perfect for the gardening-club aficionado widow who wanted some adventure in her life so took up working for the CIA without telling her adult children. :)

message 29: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 1949 comments Mod
Listening to Sworn to Silence (Kate Burkholder, #1) by Linda Castillo

message 30: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments listening to my first book for my audie category (Paranormal) - Damoren

message 31: by Jonetta (new)

I finished listening to Kisscut by Karin Slaughter and here's my review. An extraordinary story.
Kisscut (Grant County, #2) by Karin Slaughter

message 32: by Xe (new)

Xe Sands (xesands) | 369 comments Currently listening to The Silver Linings PlaybookThe Silver Linings Playbook. Think I've figured out the "big reveal" that must be coming...we shall see...

message 33: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments Jonetta - where did you find an unabridged Kisscut? I can only find abridged - I ended up reading it

message 34: by Jonetta (new)

Audible has both the abridged and unabridged versions. I bought mine used from a local bookstore.

message 35: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Finished Industrial Magic (Women of the Otherworld, #4) by Kelley Armstrong - good character development and a solid mystery. Laural Merlington is never going to be my favorite narrator though. Here's My GR Review

message 36: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments Jonetta wrote: "Audible has both the abridged and unabridged versions. I bought mine used from a local bookstore."

ah ha that would be why - the release date on the unabridged - 02-10-15 - so it literally just came out

message 37: by Jonetta (new)

Dee wrote: "Jonetta wrote: "Audible has both the abridged and unabridged versions. I bought mine used from a local bookstore."

ah ha that would be why - the release date on the unabridged - 02-10-15 - so it l..."

I'd go with the audible version. My narrator wasn't that great. When she was good, she was excellent. When she wasn't, she was highly annoying...like she was reading out loud, not knowing the characters or where she was going. Seriously? I knew about the Audible version because my experience was so unsatisfactory I thought about just using a credit to finish out the book at about the halfway mark. I listened to the sample and was just jealous.

In the end, my budget won out:)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.