PAPER/PLATES Book Club discussion

Me Before You (Me Before You, #1)
This topic is about Me Before You
Virtual Book Club Discussions > "Me Before You" by Jojo Moyes

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amina | , The blogger behind PAPER/PLATES (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amina |  PAPER/PLATES (paperplatesblog) | 67 comments Mod
Have you read Me Before You? Join fellow readers to discuss this beautiful, funny and heartbreaking novel. Feel free to post at any time — there's no end date for this conversation!

Start with the questions below, or add your own!

message 2: by Amina | , The blogger behind PAPER/PLATES (new) - rated it 4 stars

QUESTION 1: Is Me Before You a stereotypical "romance novel"? Why or why not?

message 3: by Amina | , The blogger behind PAPER/PLATES (new) - rated it 4 stars

QUESTION 2: With which character did you most sympathize? Do you think one, Lou or Will, is more deserving of sympathy than the other?

message 4: by Amina | , The blogger behind PAPER/PLATES (new) - rated it 4 stars

QUESTION 3: How did Will's youth affect the way Lou and others treated him?

message 5: by Amina | , The blogger behind PAPER/PLATES (new) - rated it 4 stars

QUESTION 4: Will and Lou suffered vastly different challenges (his physical, hers economic). Did you see any similarities in how they approaches these obstacles? Any differences?

message 6: by Amina | , The blogger behind PAPER/PLATES (new) - rated it 4 stars

QUESTION 5: Did you expect Lou and Will to fall in love?

message 7: by Amina | , The blogger behind PAPER/PLATES (new) - rated it 4 stars

QUESTION 6: How did you respond to Will's plan to end his life?

message 8: by Amina | , The blogger behind PAPER/PLATES (new) - rated it 4 stars

QUESTION 7: People often say, "Love conquers all." After reading Me Before You, do you agree? Would you agree if Will had lived?

message 9: by Amina | , The blogger behind PAPER/PLATES (new) - rated it 4 stars

QUESTION 8: What did the way Will's life ended represent? What would you do if you were in his place? How would you respond if one of your loved ones desired to die the same way?

message 10: by Carol (last edited Feb 02, 2015 10:55AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Carol Brill (goodreadscomuser_carolbrill) Will believed he had a right to choose his quality of life and and also choose to die with dignity on his own terms. I cannot imagine how difficult it must be to make that decision.

I hope i'd be able to support a loved one in this heartbreaking situation. Not sure how I'd react. It would be gut wrenching

message 11: by Amina | , The blogger behind PAPER/PLATES (new) - rated it 4 stars

Carol wrote: "Will believed he had a right to choose his quality of life and and also choose to die with dignity on his own terms. I cannot imagine how difficult it must be to make that decision.

I hope i'd be..."

Hi Carol, I hope the same thing but I don't know what I would actually do if faced with such a decision. I think I'd try to show the person all the ways he or she could still enjoy life, the way Lou tried to do.

Carol Brill (goodreadscomuser_carolbrill) Amina, I'm with you I don't think we can know what we'd do in such a difficult situation until we're actually faced with it.
Hopefully, we never will be.

Sindhoo Amina | wrote: "QUESTION 1: Is Me Before You a stereotypical "romance novel"? Why or why not?"

I definitely think this is NOT a stereotypical romance novel, but the cover & description definitely make you think "chick lit." I think it is not stereotypical because the characters are far more complex, grappling with scary realities and having to make difficult decisions that go far beyond anything I've ever seen in the typical romance novel.

Carol Brill (goodreadscomuser_carolbrill) Sinds, agree this is far from typical with a theme and character dilemmas which are more complex

Kohinoor Question 1: I have no shame in reading chick lit books and have been known to devour Sophie Kinsella, Jill Mansell and Harriet Evans books lol. (some of them even have glittery covers lol) However, though at first Me Before You seems to be a chick lit, I feel like the ethical question that is brought up and is integral to the plot, separates it from the chick lit genre.

message 16: by Beck (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beck Anderson (beckandersonauthor) | 3 comments You know, it feels like putting books into categories (romance novel, "chick lit") can serve a purpose, but many people do it to diminish a book. Yes, I think "Me Before You" is a romance novel. Love is at the center of the book. The relationship is the center of the book. And why shouldn't it be? It is too bad that people associate shame with certain genres. Are fantasy readers "ashamed" to read George R.R. Martin? I wonder if it relates specifically to genres typically read by women. No answer from me on that one, but I just wonder what other people think. I have definitely experienced people looking askance at a "romance" novel I was reading. Definitely judgement there.

Kohinoor Beck wrote: "You know, it feels like putting books into categories (romance novel, "chick lit") can serve a purpose, but many people do it to diminish a book. Yes, I think "Me Before You" is a romance novel. ..."
I completely agree. I had someone actually discredit the fact that I read 600+ books (seen on my goodreads page I guess) because most of the books were "fluff" according to that person. I also find your point to be true and interesting, that typically, books read by women are usually labeled romance, fluff etc. Me Before You is a romance book and it's a damn good book at that.

message 18: by Beck (last edited Feb 21, 2015 09:26PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beck Anderson (beckandersonauthor) | 3 comments Simply put, I hate book snobs. Let us not forget that most of Shakespeare's plays were retellings of old stories -- the first fanfiction -- same plot, new names, put a twist on it, voila -- new play. I might be oversimplifying a bit but you know what I mean! :)

Carol Brill (goodreadscomuser_carolbrill) Beck wrote: "Simply put, I hate book snobs. Let us not forget that most of Shakespeare's plays were retellings of old stories -- the first fanfiction -- same plot, new names, put a twist on it, voila -- new pl..."
Beck, your Shakespeare comment reminds me that one of my writing mentors says there are really only 3 stories that writers keep retelling: Cinderella (the girl gets the prince), Jack and the Beanstalk (hope prevails) and Little Red Riding Hood(good wins over evil)
We all have different taste in books. Lots of readers want an easy to read, no-frills in the writing, good story. Other's want beautifully crafted writing and more complexity in plot and character motivation.
Genres help readers distinguish and find the books that match their taste.

message 20: by Beck (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beck Anderson (beckandersonauthor) | 3 comments Carol wrote: "Beck wrote: "Simply put, I hate book snobs. Let us not forget that most of Shakespeare's plays were retellings of old stories -- the first fanfiction -- same plot, new names, put a twist on it, vo..."

I agree! Genre should be for helping readers find what suits their tastes, not for judging.

Kohinoor What did the way Will's life ended represent? What would you do if you were in his place? How would you respond if one of your loved ones desired to die the same way?

Will wanted to die with dignity and pride, and not with people's pity. Of course I would honor a loved one's desire to die the same way, however I think I would do whatever I could that might change their mind, for selfish and desperate reasons, simply for the fact that I cannot bear the thought of losing someone I love. to be honest, I am more scared of losing loved ones than dying myself.

Carol Brill (goodreadscomuser_carolbrill) Kohinoor wrote: "What did the way Will's life ended represent? What would you do if you were in his place? How would you respond if one of your loved ones desired to die the same way?

Will wanted to die with dign..."

Kohinoor, your comment about being more scared about losing a loved one really resonates with me. thanks for sharing carol