Science and Inquiry discussion

The Philosophical Breakfast Club: Four Remarkable Friends Who Transformed Science and Changed the World
This topic is about The Philosophical Breakfast Club
Book Club 2015 > March 2015 - Philosophical Breakfast Club

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Betsy | 1659 comments Mod
For March 2015, we will be reading The Philosophical Breakfast Club: Four Remarkable Friends Who Transformed Science and Changed the World. Please use this thread to post questions, comments, and reviews, at any time.

Katy (kathy_h) | 173 comments Nice. We had a great selection in the poll to choose for March.

message 3: by Dan's (new) - added it

Dan's | 32 comments I am about to 'check this out' as well

So many thread, so little time!

Katy (kathy_h) | 173 comments Found my copy and just started. It might take a couple of weeks to get it finished, so hopefully will be ready to discuss in March with you.

message 5: by Katy (last edited Feb 25, 2015 09:27PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy (kathy_h) | 173 comments The author, Laura J. Snyder gave a TED talk on her book. You can watch it here: Snyder's TED talk

Katy (kathy_h) | 173 comments Anyone else reading along this month? It's a longer read, so I am just in the first 25%, but enjoying it so far.

Loved the story of the origin of the word, "scientist."

David Rubenstein | 859 comments Mod
Kathy, I'm not reading along this month--I read the book several years ago. I enjoyed it very much. Here is my review of the book.

Katy (kathy_h) | 173 comments Thanks, David.

Katy (kathy_h) | 173 comments A bit more than halfway through. I am embarrassed to say that, other than Babbage I didn't really know much about the other scientists of the main four in our Breakfast Club. Not a fast read for me, but very interesting and love the way that the author ties that political and the science and the personal.

Steve Van Slyke (steve_van_slyke) | 370 comments Enjoyed it. Early on I had the feeling that young Mr. Darwin must be listening to these men and reading their papers, which undoubtedly helped build his courage to eventually give his Theory to the world.

If you liked this one, you might also like:

The Scientists: A History of Science Told Through the Lives of Its Greatest Inventors

message 11: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy (kathy_h) | 173 comments Thank you Steve. I did like this book and have put your recommendation on my TBR list.

Glynn | 52 comments I finished this one tonight. I thought it was moving and very thought provoking. The author gives you a real sense of life in the time of these four great men who shaped the modern day world.