Booktube Manga Club! discussion

Past Group Reads > Kaichou wa Maid-Sama!

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bribookreviews (last edited Feb 01, 2015 07:04PM) (new)

Bribookreviews (books_4_bridget) | 121 comments Mod
I knew from the beginning that I wanted to do a romance genre for the month of February (obviously I don't think I need to explain)

We have voted and the manga we will be reading in February 2015 is Kaichou wa Maid-sama by Fujiwara Hiro
This is a completed series with 18 volumes. There is also an anime adaptation that is 26 episodes long.

Here is the link to read it online -
http://www.mangahere.co/manga/kaichou...

Once an all-boys school, Seika High, a renowned school full of reckless and filthy students, has recently become a co-ed school. However, with the female population still remaining a minority even after the change over the recent years, Misaki Ayuzawa takes it into her own hands to reform the school and allow a chance for the girls to feel safer in the rough environment. Even the teachers are on her side. Training, studying and even becoming the first female student council president of the school, Misaki has gained a reputation, among the male students body as an uptight boy-hating demon dictator and as a shining hope for the teachers and fellow female students. However, despite her tough-as-nails appearance, she secretly works part-time at a maid café in order to support her family. Unfortunately, her secret is soon discovered by Takumi Usui, a popular boy at Seika High.

2/1-2/7: volumes 1-4
2/8-2/14: volumes 5-8
2/15-2/21: volumes 9-12
2/22-2/28: volumes 13-16
(If you can fit in reading the last two volumes in the month feel free to do so. )

Now one of the things I want to mention about these read-a-longs is that a lot of these series we will not be completing together. I knew that going into this there are series soooo long that they have 70+ volumes; a major point I want to make is that this is a great way to introduce a lot of manga that is not that well known or not discussed as much in the booktube community. I wanted to start this as an introduction to the manga world, so it's up to you guys to continue with a series After we are done for the month, if you are really interested. However, If we do a read-a-long for a manga that A LOT of people love and want to continue marathoning into the next month, it's something that we can do as long as the majority votes for that.

message 2: by Bribookreviews (new)

I am so excited for this one. I have watched the entire anime series (which BTW you can find on Hulu Plus) but I have yet to read any of the manga, so I am excited to see how they differ and to see the manga's progression past where the anime leaves off. Happy reading ya'll!

message 3: by Bribookreviews (new)

Has anyone started reading this yet? I tried buying this manga off the B&N website, but If im not mistaken this is a Toykopop manga and it might be out of print? Correct me if I'm wrong. I haven't tried Amazon yet so it may be on there. For now I'm reading it online.

message 4: by Nguyen (new)

Nguyen | 21 comments Bribookreviews wrote: "Has anyone started reading this yet? I tried buying this manga off the B&N website, but If im not mistaken this is a Toykopop manga and it might be out of print? Correct me if I'm wrong. I haven't ..."

I'm reading it online, its from tokyopop, I think you can only get up to vol 1-vol 8 in english print. It does sell on amazon.

message 5: by Bribookreviews (new)

Nguyen wrote: "Bribookreviews wrote: "Has anyone started reading this yet? I tried buying this manga off the B&N website, but If im not mistaken this is a Toykopop manga and it might be out of print? Correct me i..."

Thanks!

message 6: by Bribookreviews (last edited Feb 07, 2015 05:26PM) (new)

Officially read volume one. I'm reading this a lot slower then anticipated but I have a few days with more free time so I should catch up to volume 4 soon. It's been so long since I last read this that I forgot all the little details. It's such a refreshing manga. I have always loved strong willed female characters and Ayuzawa is no exception, she takes crap from no one! I love it. End of volume one is the best but I will say no more. :)

message 7: by Sue (new)

Sue Moro (moro) | 53 comments I just finished volume 1 online. It's pretty funny so far. Ayuzawa is a bit scary at times, particularly in her tyrannical rule over the boys as the school's first female class president!

message 8: by Nguyen (new)

Nguyen | 21 comments I just got done with vol 1, I like the heroin, and how she is strict and tough, and how the one guy that like her make her soft at time, It unexpectedly somewhat different from the anime, nothing major but some stuff.

message 9: by Bribookreviews (last edited Feb 12, 2015 05:13AM) (new)

so I've made it to volume 5. I like how there is a one sided crush but the other way around at this point in the story. Usually manga depicts the girls pining over the guys and it can be a little annoying because a lot of times they are portrayed as being whiny. We all know the two main characters are eventually meant to get together, but it is refreshing to see That Usui is the first to admit his feelings. Ayuzawa being the stubborn headed person she is, has got a little more growing to do as a character before she can even fathom what she's feeling. It's funny when characters start to recognize the signs of falling in love but don't correlate them together. I like how the relationship is developing slowly. They are becoming good friends first. :)

message 10: by Nguyen (new)

Nguyen | 21 comments Bribookreviews wrote: "so I've made it to volume 5. I like how there is a one sided crush but the other way around at this point in the story. Usually manga depicts the girls pining over the guys and it can be a little a..."

I completely agree with your statement. Usui is a refreshing character to see, Just how he treat Ayuzawa is always so interesting to see her reaction