United Methodist Women discussion

Discussions of 2015 books > Tough Cookies: Leadership Lessons from 100 Years of the Girl Scouts

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I just finished "Tough Cookies: Leadership Lessons from 100 Years of the Girl Scouts" by Kathy Cloninger. It was a good history of Girl Scouts and the recent changes to the program. There was also a good deal of personal information on Cloninger and her previous business history before taking over as the CEO of the Girl Scouts USA. This was a fast read and fairly interesting. It focused on the great untapped potential of girls and how we can nurture our girls to be leaders. Although women hold over 50% of professional level jobs, they represent less than 15% of executive positions. Girl Scouts seems to be on a good track to revitalizing it's mission for girls and I'm interested to see if UMW could also improve mentoring and inspiring girls in the UMW program.

message 2: by Carolyn (last edited Feb 02, 2015 11:08AM) (new)

Carolyn | 45 comments Mod
I agree. It's a quick read and interesting insights into the Girl Scouts. I found Cloninger's passion and commitment to doing her job right very inspiring in Tough Cookies: Leadership Lessons from 100 Years of the Girl Scouts.

message 3: by Vicki (new)

Vicki | 5 comments Just finished this one- a quick read and interesting history of Girl Scouts. There are some great leadership lessons to take away for us as we lead young people in the church.