FINDING AUDREY READ-ALONG discussion

These Broken Stars (Starbound, #1)
This topic is about These Broken Stars
THESE BROKEN STARS > #THESEBROKENBOOKS | Chapters 1-14

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Jesse (JesseTheReader) (jessethereader) | 210 comments Mod
& we're off! How are you guys liking this book so far? Were you intrigued from the start or are you feeling unsure?! Let us know!

message 2: by Lauren (new) - added it

Lauren Jude | 1 comments I've just started it and I'm only on page 14, but it's pretty good so far. I'm finding the writing to be a bit generic, but the story sounds like it's going to go in an interesting direction.

Katrín Rós (katrinrosf) | 11 comments I'm really intrigued so far. Me likey

Ashley (aspiringashley) | 1 comments Not actually story related, but does it bother anyone else that the dress on the cover is green, but in the book it's always described at being navy blue??

Mariana | 8 comments I'm just like you Ashley, every time when the cover of a book isn't accurate, I get really pissed and annoyed hahaha

Lady Nouf (ladynouf) | 5 comments I'm enjoying the deul point of views ❤❤can't stop reading

Jose (josemagical) | 2 comments So far I am loving this book, who the authors use the two POV from their two protagonists. I started to care about the romance between Liliac and Tarver. I just can't put it down. It wraps me since the beginning of the story

Jose (josemagical) | 2 comments So far I am loving this book, who the authors use the two POV from their two protagonists. I started to care about the romance between Liliac and Tarver. I just can't put it down. It wraps me since the beginning of the story

Natelle Woodworth (tall_telle_tells_tales) | 10 comments So far I'm really liking it! I love the two different point of views. I like the questioning in between chapters. Lilac is a little annoying as she is so rude to major merendsen, when he is only trying to help keep her alive. I hope we get some answers soon....

Bookworm | 31 comments So far, I am really enjoying this book! I've heard many people say that it's kind of slow in the beginning, but I was hooked from the srart. I'am also intrigued by the mystery. I have a theory that the planet they crashed on is actually Earth, hence the tiger and stuff. Can't wait to see the story unfold!

Bookworm | 31 comments *start

Claire Evangeline (lockerpaint) I read this book early in January and I loved it. Pretty sure I rated it 5 stars, maybe 4 , but I did quite like it.

message 13: by Beti (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beti Tedeško | 3 comments Loving the first 2 chapters

Sydney Ritter (sydkerbell) | 4 comments This is a very interesting book. It's very unique and I can see the mix of Titanic and space. Lilac is very much her own person mixed with daddy issues and richness. Tarver has his own thing going with his sudden jump to fame and dead brother. I don't know. But so far, Kaufman and Spooner have two great seperate voices for the two different characters and the way they function out on the planet after the crash, but when they come together... it's beautiful.

message 15: by Miya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Miya (miyac) | 3 comments Wow, this book is getting intense!
Side note- I'm not a huge fan of audiobooks, but my local library didn't have a physical copy when Booksplosion began. However, I'm finding that I like hearing Tarver and Lilac's "real" voices, it makes the emotion seem more real in a sense.

message 16: by Rachel (last edited Feb 07, 2015 12:48PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rachel Najera I had a bit trouble in the beginning trying to imagine the world in this book. But then I thought, "Think of Star Trek and the Enterprise." And it worked for me haha.

Lilac is one of those characters you might find annoying or take her as a snobby rich girl in another book, but for some reason she fits and she's not overly snobby. I was a bit irritated but I realised I don't know what her & her father's situation is with being with a man close to her. There is much that has to be revealed.

As for Tarver I see him as a blonde though he has dark hair haha. I thought he was okay at first but both characters are growing on me. It's getting more interesting and I'm getting more curious over Lilac. It makes me wonder if they truly are alone or if someone is there.

Aimee | 9 comments I'm currently in Boston, and this book and a warm cup of coffee warms me. I'm loving it!

Kendra (NurseKendraReads) (nursekendrareads) | 6 comments I'm liking this so far. I think it started off good and I am enjoying reading this, it's not the best book I have ever read but it's keeping me entertained. Also the cover is amazing.

message 19: by M (new) - rated it 4 stars

M Mallon (kyrosmagica) | 10 comments Just started seems good so far....

Irene | 2 comments I'm really enjoying it so far too! The dual perspectives are cool especially when we start getting in to differences of perception between Tarver and Lilac.

I love the bits and pieces of the interview interwoven between the chapters too. It's interesting that Tarver doesn't seem to be telling the guy who is interviewing him the whole truth. I'm curious about why he's leaving out what he is leaving out and what the purpose of the interview is.

Rachel Najera Ashley wrote: "Not actually story related, but does it bother anyone else that the dress on the cover is green, but in the book it's always described at being navy blue??"

That's a different dress from the beginning. Her dress is actually green when they crashed, so I'm guessing that would be the next day. :)

Maegan Mahoney (maegan1116) | 1 comments I had started to read the ebook sample of this last month and just wasn't feeling it but since then I've heard nothing but good things about this book. So when I found this book club was reading it I had to jump on board!

I wasn't sure if there was going to be spoilers so I waited until finishing chapter 14 to peak in here. I'm really intrigued by the planet they are on. I get the feeling something went wrong during the terraforming which caused everyone to leave. The way Tarver mentions the trees being taller then ones he's seen and the big cat makes me think that everything has been left alone for a long time. Maybe this was an early attempt at terraforming. It reminds me of the movie Serenity and the planet Miranda.

Viola | 6 comments I'm enjoying it so far, but the writing is sometimes a little bit too dramatic for my taste. Also I don't understand why Lilac isn't simply telling Tarver the truth about why they have to keep distance. That's only to create "inner suffering" which is feeling very forced.
Tarver is a nice character, but honestly way to perfect to be true. I hope he gets more realistic, bc some edges here and there would suit him.
Anyway, it's getting interesting with those voices Lilac hears. Intrigued!

Isa  (bisskit) I've just started it and it's really cool that a bookshelf was mentioned at the first page... we'll see how the book will be...

Kasie (kasiewithane) | 6 comments Bookworm wrote: "So far, I am really enjoying this book! I've heard many people say that it's kind of slow in the beginning, but I was hooked from the srart. I'am also intrigued by the mystery. I have a theory that..."
I totally agree with the earth theory. It explains why the tree's are taller than any he had seen/they should be.

Christina Danielle Read the first two pages and thought about putting it down but I stuck through and just finished the third chapter and I'm hooked!

Isa  (bisskit) Vio wrote: "I'm enjoying it so far, but the writing is sometimes a little bit too dramatic for my taste. Also I don't understand why Lilac isn't simply telling Tarver the truth about why they have to keep dist..."

I totally agree with you!
It's just their conflict at the beginning as she doesn't tell him why she keeps the distance.. and tehre we are again at the writing style is too dramatic..
Well, I can't wait what will happen next

Isa  (bisskit) Christina wrote: "Read the first two pages and thought about putting it down but I stuck through and just finished the third chapter and I'm hooked!"

The first few pages - not more than 6 - I really was a little conflicted if I'll like it or not. But now I'm really hooked. Nearly 100 pages are finished so far ;-)

message 29: by Ry (new)

Ry | 1 comments I just started it and it's amazing!!!!

message 30: by Sayu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sayu (sayu_ness) | 6 comments Those that are complaining about the dress colour. When they first met it was navy blue. When they crashed it was green. :)

Katie | 9 comments Was anyone else extremely annoyed at the characters at the beginning of the book? They seemed to argue just for argument's sake and got far too much enjoyment from irritating each other. As I'm getting farther into the book they're getting better but I was really annoyed for a while.

Aimee | 9 comments I was so annoyed by Lilac at the beginning, she was really annoying and stubborn. But then O started to like her and relate to her. Traver is my crush now, I just love him and think he is so damn funny.

Aimee | 9 comments I was so annoyed by Lilac at the beginning, she was really annoying and stubborn. But then O started to like her and relate to her. Traver is my crush now, I just love him and think he is so damn funny.

message 34: by Alex (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alex Campos | 9 comments i really like this story so far!!! it's cool!!! i'm soo liking the main guy from the book Tarver is sooo cool and seems very real in the story. but i don't seem to like the main girl character very much. she's such a pain and very annoying. what a spoiled and rude person she is. but i still enjoy reading this story so far. can't wait of what happens next.

Dalal (dalal_sa) | 2 comments I'm really enjoying this book so far. I just finished chapter fourteen and I'm so creeped out by the voices that Lilac keeps hearing! I can't wait to find out more!

Dalal (dalal_sa) | 2 comments I'm really enjoying this book so far. I just finished chapter fourteen and I'm so creeped out by the voices that Lilac keeps hearing! I can't wait to find out more!

Aileen (aileenberg) Book is okay... I wish I liked it more!

Aileen (aileenberg) Book is okay... I wish I liked it more!

message 39: by Hayli (last edited Feb 14, 2015 03:54PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hayli If you haven't read through fourteen - SPOILER WARNING.

As far as how the book is written, I love it. I've always been a sucker for multiple POVs as this book is written in. Given, it can get out of hand (Jodi Picoult's My Sister's Keeper was in 4 or 5 different POVs and it got a little hectic at times), but this flows really well between these two characters. They're very different people, but they're the same kind of stubborn so a lot of their thoughts match up - unbeknownst to them and in much amusement to me. And I'm really digging the mystery behind the interrogation between chapters, it gives the story a neat cinematic feel to me.

I'm usually fairly picky about action starting so early in a book, but here it works great. The authors give us just enough world building to understand what's going on and to be plugged into how this new world operates, but also not enough to immediately pin point all the answers. There's still plenty of mystery surrounding the Victorian/Steampunk-ish/Sci-fi feel this book utilizes. I like being able to make a list of questions as I'm reading and not having them immediately answered.

I adore these characters already - I'm stubborn and stubborn people keep a special place in my heart. Obviously, some actions of Lilac and Tarver are explicitly rude and done just out of spite and are more than a little immature, it is getting better. I like that the girl's not just wow you're great in the first few chapters - it's 100 pages in before Lilac even recognizes that Tarver isn't just a military tall tale built up out of gossip columns. He's the real deal in knowing what he's doing. I get the sense that with their stubborn personalities, there's something deeper going on and why they act the way they do toward stereotypes (i.e. Tarver's distrust and distaste of socialites and Lilac's own shrewd behavior toward lower classes/military men trying to rub elbows with her just for the sake of her last name and net worth. There's even a distinct difference in how they use memory to explain their thoughts/actions in Lilac's almost whimsical childhood reprieves and Tarver's disconnected childhood monologues.

As for any guesses - I agree with the already mentioned theory that they've landed on an abandoned Earth. I have an easy suspicion of what's really going on between the rebels and Colonists and just how the LaRoux industries carries out its business.

message 40: by Mona (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mona (monasbooks) Can't put it down! I really love science fiction stuff and this book gives me such a warm feeling reading it and also starts to creep me out with those voices Lilac's hearing. I also enjoy witnessing such a nice character development.
I'm really curious about how it will go on.

message 41: by Mona (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mona (monasbooks) Can't put it down! I really love science fiction stuff and this book gives me such a warm feeling reading it and also starts to creep me out with those voices Lilac's hearing. I also enjoy witnessing such a nice character development.
I'm really curious about how it will go on.

Carter Skye (adventuresandespresso) I have a feeling that if these first chapters didn't have as much action as they did I would have put this book down, but at this point I have to keep reading just to find out what happens!

Heidi | 4 comments I only started reading today and I'm already in love and fan-girling over Trarver!!!

Andrea G | 5 comments To be honest, the book was kind of slow in the beginning but it really started to pick up and get very interesting! As for Lilac, she was actually so rude to Tarver in the beginning about the whole "sleeping in the same bed thing" but at this point i don't really mind her and she's starting to be nice at least. Can't wait to see where this book leads us!

message 45: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen (imajen) Loving it so far! The book has a great pace, and there's something happening on each page. Generally two POVs get distracting and confusing, but here I think it works fantastic with the narrative. And I enjoy the interrogation bits in between.There's this mystery to the storyline and world that I just love. I have my ideas, and I just can't wait to see how the story unravels.

message 46: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen (imajen) Loving it so far! The book has a great pace, and there's something happening on each page. Generally two POVs get distracting and confusing, but here I think it works fantastic with the narrative. And I enjoy the interrogation bits in between.There's this mystery to the storyline and world that I just love. I have my ideas, and I just can't wait to see how the story unravels.

message 47: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy (dembooks101) | 3 comments I agree it was very slow at the beginning

Isa  (bisskit) finally I made it through the first 14 chapters.
I really love their improvement towards each other. First she was mean and stubborn and a little bit naive but now with the voices she's hearing it really freaks me out and I feel sorry for her.
I'm really fangirling over Tarver. He's helping her and in the end he's happy that he's not alone.
I have to agree to the theory that they are strabded on earth and i really can't wait to find out what happens next.
I first was also irritated by two POV's, but it's really well done in this book and I wasn't one time confused who's POV it was...

Bridget (goodreadscombbooks) | 2 comments I'm really enjoying this book so far. I really like the dual POVs and how different they are. I love the questioning between the chapters because it shows that Tarver is telling the story to someone, but the dual POVs make it so we're not just seeing his POV. I'm not sure about the voices Lilac is hearing and it's intriguing me to see why (is she actually crazy). I could definitely see the whole "Titanic In space" thing right from the start but at the same time it's different. It's a bit slow, but I'm hoping to keep reading a lot of it today to see what will happen next!

message 50: by Leah (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leah | 6 comments I'm really enjoying this so far! At first I felt it was a bit hard to get into, but after the first few chapters it really took off. The writing style seems to flow really well, and I love how smooth the transitions between POVs are. The interrogation dialogue in between makes for an interesting feeling and a bit of mystery. As someone mentioned previously, I think it's interesting that Tarver isn't telling the full truth to whoever is asking the questions, and I'm curious to find out why that is. I'm glad that Lilac is starting to warm up to Tarver, as her attitude was starting to frustrate me. I'm really excited to see where it goes from here!

« previous 1