Ms. Hartman's English classes discussion

What are you reading right now?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 102 (102 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Ms. (new)

Ms. Hartman | 71 comments Mod
Hey 8th graders! What are you reading right now? Do you like it? Should we read it? I need some good book recommendations. Right now I am re-reading a book of short stories by Jamaica Kincaid called "Talk Stories." I love this book because she is one of my favorite authors and in these short stories she writes all about her childhood growing up in the islands and moving to NYC as a teenager. It's a great book, but as I have said, I've read it before. So, what are you reading and loving right now? Let's share...

message 2: by Evan (new)

Evan Haldeman | 14 comments Right now I am re reading the book hatchet by Gary Paulsen. I think this book is a great adventure story and I think everyone would enjoy it if you haven't already

message 3: by Samia (new)

Samia Ali | 17 comments Well I am reading a book called 'the external fire' and it's about a girl who's 5 years old and her father got lost and the mother assumes he's dead but he's really Alive. It's real good.

message 4: by Ms. (new)

So glad you are joining the conversation!

message 5: by Anjelynt (new)

Anjelynt Lor | 14 comments I am not reading a book right now but I can recommend you a book that I finished reading last month. It's called "The Dirt Diary" by: Anna Staniszewski. It's about this girl named Racheal Lee who is an 8th grader. She's half Korean and half American. Her parents are about to get divorce but Racheal wants to prevent that from happening. But on the other hand, Racheal and her mom are struggling with money so they work as house cleaners for other families out there. It turns out those families are parents to her classmates at her school. There is also love in this story too. In my opinion, this is a really good book but I don't know if you like reading these types of book.

message 6: by Calvin (new)

Calvin Chang | 5 comments I am not reading a book right now. But the previous book I read was The Absolutely True Diary Of A Part-Time Indian I am recommending this book cause it's good, funny

message 7: by Emily (new)

Emily Thor | 6 comments I am currently not reading any books right now. But my favorite author is Roald Dahl. My favorite books from him is 'The Twits'. My favorite part in the book is when Mrs and Mr Twit get tortured by the animals and get stuck in the ceiling.

message 8: by Maritza (new)

Maritza | 10 comments Right now I am reading breathing room Marsha Hayles. It's really good it's about a 13 year old girl named Evvy who has TB (tuberculosis) & lived in Minnesota in 1940 she gets sent away from her family to a treatment facility. She shares a room with many girls who are in the treatment with her. There is Sarah who is the quiet one, pearl who adores many things, & Dena who is very harsh. But they get a strong friendship & get though the harsh times in the sanatorium.
It's to show the young people who have fought tuberculosis.

message 9: by Ms. (new)

Have you read any of Gary Paulsen's other books?

message 10: by Evan (new)

Evan Haldeman | 14 comments I have read the river and Brian's winter.
I also have read a book called my side of the mountain which is similar in many ways to hatchet

message 11: by Ms. (new)

Anjelynt wrote: "I am not reading a book right now but I can recommend you a book that I finished reading last month. It's called "The Dirt Diary" by: Anna Staniszewski. It's about this girl named Racheal Lee who i..."
Anjelynt, this sounds like a great book. Yes, I want to read it!!

message 12: by Ms. (new)

Calvin wrote: "I am not reading a book right now. But the previous book I read was The Absolutely True Diary Of A Part-Time Indian I am recommending this book cause it's good, funny"
Yes, I love, love, love this book too! Maybe you should read some of Sherman Alexie's other books. I know you can find a few of his short stories on the internet...

message 13: by Ms. (new)

Samia wrote: "Well I am reading a book called 'the external fire' and it's about a girl who's 5 years old and her father got lost and the mother assumes he's dead but he's really Alive. It's real good."
This sounds really good. How did you find this book? Did someone recommend it to you?

message 14: by Ms. (new)

Emily wrote: "I am currently not reading any books right now. But my favorite author is Roald Dahl. My favorite books from him is 'The Twits'. My favorite part in the book is when Mrs and Mr Twit get tortured by..."

I too love this book. The Twits are SO awful. It is great pay back when the animals get their revenge.

message 15: by Ms. (new)

Maritza wrote: "Right now I am reading breathing room Marsha Hayles. It's really good it's about a 13 year old girl named Evvy who has TB (tuberculosis) & lived in Minnesota in 1940 she gets sent away from her fam..."
This book is on my to read list. Sounds really good. I think I have heard on the news that TB is making a small comeback, sort of scary.

message 16: by Ms. (new)

Evan wrote: "I have read the river and Brian's winter.
I also have read a book called my side of the mountain which is similar in many ways to hatchet"

Have you ever read any Jack London? "To Build a Fire" (short story) or "The call of the Wild".....Oh, I thought of another one I think you will like Jon Krakauer's "Into the Wild", it's the true story of Alex Supertramp (the name he gave himself) and his tragic death in Alaska...maybe you saw the movie? Movie and book...really good.

message 17: by Evan (new)

Evan Haldeman | 14 comments Maritza, I think that story sounds really good. I am looking forward to reading about it at the library. Thanks for the recommendation.

message 18: by Evan (new)

Evan Haldeman | 14 comments Samia, I thinks that that book sounds really good. I weirdly enjoy books with tragedy and despair.

message 19: by Anjelynt (new)

Anjelynt Lor | 14 comments That's sounds like a really interesting book! I would to love to read that book especially when it takes place in New York City!

message 20: by Jaleel (new)

Jaleel My favorite book is the Outsiders.

message 21: by Samia (new)

Samia Ali | 17 comments Jaleel, I thought that the book was sad and I like it

message 22: by Anjelynt (new)

Anjelynt Lor | 14 comments Maritza ; that book sounds like a very heartbreaking book because she is separated from her family. I mean I wouldn't like being apart from my family. I would like to read that book too if they're no more choices for me to pick to read.

message 23: by Tony (new)

Tony Her | 10 comments My last pick I read was old yeller it was amazing . Yeah everyone should look at it and read it.

message 24: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Callender | 9 comments I'm reading naruto it's a good series

message 25: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 8 comments Jaleel, I love the book the Outsiders! It's an interesting and sad book! I read it last year.

message 26: by Jake (new)

Jake | 12 comments The book I'm reading now is Alex rider Scorpio by Anthony Horowitz

message 27: by Judaita (new)

Judaita | 15 comments The book I want to read is if I stay

message 28: by Justin (new)

Justin | 10 comments I want to read boy 21

message 29: by Samia (new)

Samia Ali | 17 comments Judaita, I really like the book if I stay as well but I love the movie more but they are equal

message 30: by Aabchy (new)

Aabchy | 15 comments I am reading "fairy tail"

message 31: by Judaita (new)

Judaita | 15 comments Ohhhhh I'm reading
Two boys kissing

message 32: by Billy (new)

Billy | 16 comments Idk what I'm reading ⛽️

message 33: by Ms. (new)

Ok, LOVE all of the comments. But, let's get more detailed. I am going to start some topic threads...feel free to join what interests you :)

message 34: by Hao (new)

Hao Duong | 13 comments I am currently reading chess for tigers by Simon Webb I show you how to improve your tactical side of chess I am reading it for entertainment and to improve my chess skill for a up coming event against Washington High we got beat last time so this book will help me improve

message 35: by April (new)

April | 10 comments I'm reading, all rivers flow to the sea

message 36: by Judaita (new)

Judaita | 15 comments I'm reading two boys kissing about two boys trying to win a kissing contest and who ever has the longest kiss wins the kissing contest ☺️

message 37: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 7 comments I am reading the rules of survival. It's a book basically on how to survive life. It doesn't necessary say rule #1,#2, etc. It's more of a kid who tells you his story (his past) and how he felt with stuff. I haven't finished the book yet but so far it's just telling me how his mom is crazy and he has this guy he met who he wants to meet because he seems brave & stuff. His sister ends up getting his address BUT their mom gets it. She ends up dating him, have a crazy breakup. She wants him killed, she left the 3 kids with him while she went somewhere. So I don't know what's gonna happen next.

message 38: by Yahary (new)

Yahary | 2 comments I am currently reading looking for Alaska I think it's a good book it's funny but then sad. I don't like how it's ending because well if you've read it you know why. I really like how John green writes because he makes the characters seem real.

message 39: by Hao (new)

Hao Duong | 13 comments Aabchy I have not read fairy tail the book but I have seen the anime

message 40: by David (new)

David | 4 comments I'm not reading right now

message 41: by Hao (new)

Hao Duong | 13 comments Calvin I have read half of that book but gave up but it was a good book

message 42: by David (new)

David | 4 comments K .

message 43: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Callender | 9 comments I'm not reading nothing

message 44: by Samia (new)

Samia Ali | 17 comments I want to read a book called a princess bride and it seem interesting and others who had read it said 'it was fencing' so it must be really good

message 45: by Samia (new)

Samia Ali | 17 comments I want to read a book called a princess bride and it seem interesting and others who had read it said 'it was fencing' so it must be really good

message 46: by Justin (new)

Justin | 10 comments I'm not reading anything right now

message 47: by Judaita (new)

Judaita | 15 comments I really want to read duff

message 48: by Judaita (new)

Judaita | 15 comments I really want to read duff

message 49: by Samia (new)

Samia Ali | 17 comments Yahary, I want to read looking for Alaska too.

message 50: by Aabchy (new)

Aabchy | 15 comments I am reading Modoc, the greatest elephant to ever live.

« previous 1 3