YA and Beyond discussion

MONTHLY BOOK DISCUSSIONS > February 2015: The Prisoner of Cell 25

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

*b*l*u*e*m*o*o*n* | 986 comments Mod
This month's mod leader is Anna!

Here's her pick on Hidden Gems ^_^

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 6961 comments Mod
Thanks Blue. I put a hold on the audiobook today. Hope to get it in a week or so.

I might not be able to get to read this one. There's only 1 ebook available in my library and I'm the second in line.

Oh no Bluemoon. I thought you said you were able to get it when we discussed which one to pick??

message 5: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 1572 comments I'll need to get my copy at the library too. I'm pretty sure they have it!

I thought it would come by February, unfortunately people are taking their time. I put it on hold when I knew for sure it was Anna's choice.

Oh ok. No hurry Bluemoon!

I picked it up today!

Just started today. I like it so far :)

message 10: by Becky (new)

Becky (bek11) | 451 comments I finished the first part and just started the second part. Getting used to the change from first POV to third POV. I think it's pretty good so far.

I;m really enjoying this so far. I am on CD 4 out of 9.

How's the audio of it, Heidi?

I like it Bluemoon. I wasn't sure at first but now I am into the narration.

cool...Too bad we only have the ebook in my library!

message 15: by Becky (new)

Becky (bek11) | 451 comments OK. Now it seems like it's every couple of chapters that it switches from Michael's POV to third person to follow Taylor. I don't think I care for the switching. I prefer Michael's POV, so I kinda wish the author would have found another way to get info about Elgen to the reader via Michael rather than the switching back and forth. Not sure if that was feasible or not, though.

(view spoiler)

Becky I agree with you about the switching POV. I did prefer Micheal's POV alone but I guess it would be difficult to show what is going on with the other characters without it? Perhaps the books should have started with the changing POV's so we weren't thrown off? I am still enjoying it though. I am a little ahead of where you are (they are on their way).

message 17: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 1572 comments Just picked this up from the library today!

Yay! I like it so far Jenny

I am really getting into this now - I have about 1.5 Cd's left and am getting really mad at the bad guys!

message 20: by Becky (new)

Becky (bek11) | 451 comments I'm now at the point where (view spoiler) The switching has calmed down so that makes me happy. Hatch is a crafty & mean bad guy. I like it.

Hatch is a great bad guy! I am getting so mad at him! I am in the same place Becky.

message 22: by Becky (last edited Feb 20, 2015 04:06AM) (new)

Becky (bek11) | 451 comments I finished this last night. I like the relationships between Michael & his mom and Michael & Ostin, but I didn't really feel it so much for Michael & Taylor. I enjoyed the book but I'm not sure if I'll continue the series right away. I bet my son will love it, though.

message 23: by Becky (new)

Becky (bek11) | 451 comments Here's my review. I don't think it really has anything spoiler-y, but I hid it anyway. It's really long, though.

(view spoiler)

Thanks Becky. I will read the spoiler when I finish. I am on the last CD so should be today or tomorrow.

I finally got my copy of this book! I'm actually glad I made it to February! Hopefully I can finish it before the month ends!

Yay Bluemoon! I just finished it and thinks it was a great middle grade read.

Becky I read your spoiler and agree with everything you said!

message 28: by Becky (new)

Becky (bek11) | 451 comments Glad that you agree. I did just give the book to my son to read. I think he'll really like it. If the series gets better as it goes along, I may continue it myself sooner rather than later.

I'm at the part where (view spoiler)

message 30: by ILyk (new)

ILyk Tourid (annvalane) Becky, Hatch is a great mean bad guy, yes. Book is for middle grade, I agree too, 'cause the kids are genuinely good. I mean, there's goodness inside them when faced with choices (get punished if they don't spend enough! wow).
I guess if it was for older kids, these electric-power kids would have more oomph, more destruction. The switching POV is annoying (is it because the 'I' then the third-person, I don't really know) and increases suspense 'cause we know Micheal & Company are driving into a trap. That said, I liked the idea of 'rebooting' as a power, the things one can do... Good review!

Bluemoon wrote: "I'm at the part where [spoilers removed]"

Nichelle and Hatch are both great bad guys. I got angry at them too!

Just finished this book. I looked at the rest of the book at my bookstore and I'm surprised this is in the YA section. I totally thought this would be classified as middle grade.

Anyways, it was a pleasant read! I think I want to continue reading the series. I want to see what happens to the Electroclan! OMG, that name...it's so freaking cheesy! Whatever, if cheesy sells, then give me more cheesy ^_^

I think I've never cheered as hard as I did, when (view spoiler)

ANNA: great pick!

I loved your spoiler part too Bluemoon!

Yes! The "Eletroclan" is SUPER LAME. It reminded me of "Warrior Smart" in Rot & Ruin. Nooooooooooo!!! Just. Stop.

message 34: by ILyk (new)

ILyk Tourid (annvalane) Bluemoon wrote: "Just finished this book. I looked at the rest of the book at my bookstore and I'm surprised this is in the YA section. I totally thought this would be classified as middle grade.

Anyways, it was a..."

Glad you finally got to read it! Cheesy name, yep. If you get the chance to read Rise of the Elgen (Michael Vey, #2) by Richard Paul Evans with the genetically-engineered rats, yak!

Most likely I will grab the next few book, it's a 6 part series, right?

message 36: by Darcy (new)

Darcy Wight (darcywight) | 109 comments I think only the first four are out... I think book five comes out next fall... but not positive about that!

I will have to do my super slow read on this series then.

message 38: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 1572 comments I just started this today, I'm already 63% in. I'm enjoying it, its a quick fun read. Parts of it are a bit cheesy, but its all good! It does remind me a bit of Percy Jackson, just in the age and humor part, although not as good. I'll let you know all my thoughts when I finish.

hahahaha...Jenny I think everyone agrees with your thoughts on it being cheesy. I still can't get over Electroclan!

Jenny that Electroclan thing was super cheesy if that is what you meant?? I liked it as a good Middle Grade Read. I too got the Percy Jackson vibe due to the age grange but for some reason I could not get into PJ like I did with this book.

message 41: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 1572 comments Oh I just loved PJ, and all of Rick Riordan's books!

I finished this one, and I LOVED it! I will definitely be reading the rest of the series. So so fun, and I absolutely LOVED the ending. The characters are so awesome! Even if its not all that believable (although the scientific details were very well done) it was highly entertaining!

message 42: by Becky (new)

Becky (bek11) | 451 comments My son loves this series. He's on book 3 or 4 now. So I'm really glad that this was picked for a monthly read.

message 43: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 1572 comments Anna wrote: "Becky, Hatch is a great mean bad guy, yes. Book is for middle grade, I agree too, 'cause the kids are genuinely good. I mean, there's goodness inside them when faced with choices (get punished if t..."

Hatch was a really good bad buy. One of the most hated ones I've ever read!

message 44: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 1572 comments Thank you Anna for picking this one! I never would have read it otherwise :)

Yes thanks Anna! I am loving all the picks so far for the Hidden Gem reads!

message 46: by ILyk (new)

ILyk Tourid (annvalane) Glad you like it Jenny! You ARE a reading machine. I wish I had the time...
Good for you Becky! I liked the series because it was light and quick and fun. Not too deep, that's why I put it as middle grade, and not much conflict and a mwahaha vilain.

message 47: by ILyk (new)

ILyk Tourid (annvalane) Welcome Heidi! Starting on Sorta Like a Rock Star by Matthew Quick for next month read next week.

Yay Anna!

thumbs up for Anna's pick!

message 50: by ILyk (new)

ILyk Tourid (annvalane) Thanks guys!

« previous 1