The BFF Book Club discussion

Interpreter of Maladies > Interpreter of Maladies Discussion **SPOILERS**

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) | 48 comments Mod
This is the discussion thread for Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri. Post any questions or thoughts you have about the book here!

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (lazydayreading) | 35 comments Mod
I feel all intellectual!

message 3: by Michelle (new)

The first story was so sad! I loved how real it was. I think even couples that are not in this specific situation can relate. It really hit home.

message 4: by Michelle (new)

So I just read the second story and I don't know. It was well written but uninteresting I guess. Did you feel the same?

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) | 48 comments Mod
lol Michelle I just saw these comments! I just finished this book and I really liked A Temporary Matter, Interpreter of Maladies, and This Blessed House. I think of all the stories I mist liked the stories of first generation Indians, people who have grown up in America and feel that tug between two cultures.

I also enjoyed the stories about immigrants to America, but I found their culture shock to be very sad for some reason. I really felt their loneliness and culture shock. Those stories were probably the most sad, in particular Mrs. Sen's. I felt really awful for her and I just wanted to give her a hug!

There weren't any stories that I didn't like, which is good. I think When Mr. Pirzada Came to Dinner was probably the most boring, but overall this was a great collection of stories.