Beyond Reality discussion

Kraken
This topic is about Kraken
Previous BotM--DISCUSSIONS > KRAKEN: Finished Reading (*SPOILERS*)

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Candiss (new) - added it

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments Here's a general topic for people who have finished reading Kraken by China Miéville.

WARNING: SPOILERS LIKELY!

message 2: by Ken (new) - added it

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments Finished this last week.
I enjoyed it but felt it was too long and some plot points really went nowhere. The FSRC was really wasted here.
The ending was kinda of a rehash of the ending of The Scar.

message 3: by Chris, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chris (heroncfr) | 496 comments Mod
I believe that China Mieville is one of the most creative authors in the SF/F field. He manages to build amazingly detailed and complete worlds for each new book. I don't think this is my favorite of his books, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. The sheer "London-ness" of it! ("IN A CITY LIKE LONDON ... Stop: that was an unhelpful way to think about it, because there was no city like London. That was the point.") I did start trying to explain the plot to my husband, but in the end I had to settle for "it's very complicated but, in the end, a giant squid does NOT destroy London".

message 4: by Shel, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shel (shel99) | 2140 comments Mod
I just finished this last night, and though I really enjoyed it I don't think it quite lives up to his Bas-Lag books (Perdido Street Station etc).

That said, Mieville really did an excellent job using his impressive world-building skills to create a version of London that was just as multifaceted and well-developed as New Crobuzon. There were several places where I got a little bit lost in the plot twists, but it all eventually made sense in the end, and what a brilliant portrayal of a self-fulfilling prophecy! I suspected that something weird was up with Professor Vardy but not that he was behind it all. And I really loved the idea of Grisamentum hiding himself in ink!

message 5: by Ken (new) - added it

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments Yeah, Mieville has the flair for world building.
Another impressive place he created. Vardy was a bit of a surprise. We had seen so little of him in the book.

message 6: by Shel, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shel (shel99) | 2140 comments Mod
Ken wrote: "Vardy was a bit of a surprise. We had seen so little of him in the book."

I think that's why I suspected he was up to something - Collingsworth kept wondering where he was, he wouldn't have been mentioned so often if he were an unimportant side character.

message 7: by Pickle (last edited Feb 09, 2015 05:30AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pickle | 202 comments on my first reading i didnt like this book but re-read it after my pal moaning at me and i thoroughly enjoyed it second time around.

Goss and Subby reminded me of Mr Croup and Mr Vandemar from Neverwhere.

message 8: by Ken (new) - added it

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments Shel wrote: "I think that's why I suspected he was up to something - Collingsworth kept wondering where he was, he wouldn't..."
When I finished I sat back and said damn I should of seen that coming.

Pickle wrote: "Goss and Subby reminded me of Mr Croup and Mr Vandemar from Nev..."
They bothered me. They were too evil. Unstopable juggernaut. I enjoyed it when they got theirs though