2022 Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE - General > Audio book recomendations

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin | 30 comments Hey everyone! I recently discovered that my library has a digital download section that makes audio books very obtainable to me, and I was looking for some good recommendations!

With the few that I listened too already, (The Daughter of Smoke and Bone Trilogy, and Pride and Prejudice ) I realized that I like listening to more modern books on audio, rather then the classics.

message 2: by Jodi (new)

Jodi (readinbooks) | 1912 comments I really liked Defending Jacob as an audiobook.

message 3: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer | 2365 comments Hi Caitlin,

I'm currently enjoying The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich: A History of Nazi Germany on audiobook. Not sure if this is the type of book you're looking for though.

Kadijah Michelle (kadmich) | 2176 comments Delta wrote: "I am a huge consumer of audio books; I like listening to them while doing housework and commuting to work (also sometimes at work). My absolute favorite books are autobiographies/memoirs written by..."

I am a huge huge huge fan of audio books. I agree with Delta. Bossypants by Tina Fey was my first audio book and I was hooked! There are also some readers that are just fantastic to listen to like Colin Firth (I could listen to him forever). Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption is read by Edward Herman and his reading is so moving, I don't think I'll ever read the print version.

message 5: by Alexis (new)

Alexis Wright | 3 comments You can't go wrong with Amy Pohler's book "Yes Please" wonderful book and very funny! My favorite audiobook thus far!

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura | 7 comments I also really liked Defending Jacob as an audiobook. Right now I'm listening to Thirteen Reasons Why. It really works as an audiobook because the premise involves a girl sending cassette tapes out to people. So you can really get into the story feeling like you're listening to the tapes along with the narrator.

message 7: by Scott (new)

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments I've only listened to fiction audiobooks and I've loved all the ones so far. I would say pick books you probably would enjoy reading. Maybe ones you have read years ago. One thing I find is that I can't just listen to an audiobook I need to be doing something else like driving, exercising, etc.

message 8: by Scott (new)

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments One other thing is many classic novels that are in the public domain (copyrights have expired) have free audiobooks available. The readers for these are volunteers. I have an iPhone app that can access this library. There are also websites.

message 9: by Gemma (new)

Gemma I've only recently started listening to audiobooks and I think a good narrator can really add something extra to a story.

I've just finished To Kill a Mockingbird. I first read the book as a child for English class at school. The audible sample attracted me to the audio version and I think Sissy Spacek was the perfect narrator.
I also loved The Help. Again, I had already read it but preferred the audiobook with its multiple narrators speaking in the southern US accent.

I'm currently listening to The Martian. I've found it a bit hard going at times as it gets quite technical in parts but I'm really enjoying it so far and find that I'm dying to know what happens next!

message 10: by Courtney (last edited Apr 01, 2015 07:11AM) (new)

Courtney Ward (courtneyajw) | 248 comments I'll second The Help on Audio. It was great. I also really enjoyed The Golem and the Jinni and Heft.

All three are also pretty great stories and I would say that absolutely plays into it for me. For example, I love Cassandra Campbell as a narrator but one audio books I listened which she performed didn't have a great storyline (Orange Is the New Black - I know I'm the only one on Earth who disliked this memoir) so it was hard to stay focused but the other (The Woman Upstairs) was amazing because the combination of great story and great narrator was perfect.

message 11: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin | 30 comments I just finished Yes Please on Audio that some of you suggested! I really enjoyed it! I did have to knock off a star for the last chapter that was read live in front of an audience though. It was a great idea, but going through the entire book with no audience and then suddenly having them really through me out of it. But it was a great book to listen too!

message 12: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments For nonfiction, I loved both Seabiscuit: An American Legend (even though I don't know anything about racing or care much about horses, and honestly thought this book was about a ship) and As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride (because The Princess Bride is one of my favorite books and movies).

I usually do my nonfiction (except business nonfiction) as audiobooks. It makes me feel so productive as I listen while I drive to work.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.