The F-word discussion

Redefining Realness: My Path to Womanhood, Identity, Love & So Much More
This topic is about Redefining Realness
GROUP READS > February NON-FICTION selection REDEFINING REALNESS

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alexa (new) - added it

Alexa (AlexaNC) This is described by the publisher as: "Janet Mock offers a bold and inspiring perspective on being young, multicultural, economically challenged, and transgender in America."

Taylor (seffietay) I have my copy of this already too :)))

Taylor (seffietay) I loved this book. So much. The story of Janet's journey is so personal and fraught with difficulty, and she shares it so openly. She includes some great language for readers who may not be familiar with trans issues, but doesn't overload you with facts. Janet tells HER story without fear and I really enjoy when writers do that.

I've seen some reviews on GR that blast Janet for being bourgeois and condescending to other trans individuals who choose not to go through with the surgery... anyone have thoughts on that? I personally think it's a bunch of bullshit, she is telling HER story and is honest about what she has experienced in her life, and what lead her to make the choices she made. But that's just my opinion.

message 4: by Alexa (new) - added it

Alexa (AlexaNC) I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed this! I'm really looking forward to it!

message 5: by Alexa (new) - added it

Cassandra (cassandrat) i know I'm late to this thread. but I also enjoyed this. I don't understand the criticism. I felt Janet took pains to describe stats and how lucky she was in many ways. she was incredibly compassionate. that said, she overcame a lot even though she was always giving credit to support from others.

Angie (strangersights) | 32 comments Cassandra wrote: "i know I'm late to this thread. but I also enjoyed this. I don't understand the criticism. I felt Janet took pains to describe stats and how lucky she was in many ways. she was incredibly compassio..."

I also don't understand. Particularly the criticism saying that she was condescending toward those who for one reason or another decided that surgery was not for them. I felt like she went to considerable lengths to call out that not everyone wants or needs gender confirming surgery because they feel complete and correct just as they are, and that she chose to have surgery simply because it was what was right for her.

I really enjoyed the book as well. I am glad I chose to go the route of audiobook, because a) I think that she has such a wonderful voice, and b) I really enjoyed hearing her story right from the source!