Fans of Amish Fiction discussion

Amish Group Reads > February 2015 - Reckless Heart

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments For February 2015, we are reading Reckless Heart by Amy Clipston.

Reckless Heart  by Amy Clipston

Summary: Slipping. Lydia Bontrager's youngest sister is frighteningly ill, and as a good Amish daughter, it falls to Lydia to care for her siblings and keep the household running, in addition to working as a teacher's assistant and helping part time at her grandmother's bakery. Succumbing to stress, Lydia gives in to one wild night and returns home drunk. The secret of that mistake leaves Lydia feeling even more restless and confused, especially when Joshua, the only boy she's ever loved, becomes increasingly distant. When a non-Amish boy moves in nearby, Lydia finds someone who understands her, but the community is convinced Lydia is becoming too reckless. With the pressures at home and her sister's worsening condition, a splintering relationship with Joshua, and her own growing questions over what is right, Lydia could lose everything that she's ever held close.

message 2: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments This month's group read is on sale for Amazon kindle for $3.99 right now. Grab it if you don't have it and are planning on reading it with us.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007UQMZN2/r...

message 3: by Carolyn E (new)

Carolyn E | 239 comments Not quite sure what to say about this story. It points up many of what I consider to be major flaws in the Old Order Amish culture. Of course, all cultures have problems--none are perfect. Certainly, the Amish focus on God, family, and community is commendable--unfortunately, something we seem to have lost in mainstream America. But in this story, as in some other Amish stories I have read, I think they carry this a bit too far.

Spying and gossiping about their neighbors when they don't know, or don't care, about the facts of a situation; working themselves to death and nearly destroying their family to try to pay for a serious illness without the benefit of health insurance or other financial assistance; ignoring a neighbor simply because he is Englisch, these are the things that disturb me. These are major flaws portrayed in this story that I find very distressing; certainly not in keeping with the serene image the Amish would like to project.

Nevertheless, I did enjoy the book, and was glad for a reasonably happy ending.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Reckless Heart (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Amy Clipston (other topics)