/r/Fantasy Discussion Group discussion

The Black Company (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #1)
This topic is about The Black Company
2015 Book Club Discussions > February 2015: The Black Company - First Impressions and Spoiler Free Discussion

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lisa (tenaciousreader) | 301 comments This is where we share our first impressions and early thoughts on The Black Company. Remember to keep it spoiler free. Thanks!

Matt Hageman Ordered the book! Coming later this week I hope. Can't wait to start it!

Anthony J. Graham | 1 comments Funny, I started reading this book yesterday.

Kristin  Ford | 1 comments This series is what sent me down the road to reading epic fantasy series. It was my first experience of being dropped into a complete fantasy world and I was blown away by it. I will always love this series and I've reread it a few times now. I've even got friends and family into it as well.

Read it and you won't be disappointed.

message 5: by Ben (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ben Couteret | 7 comments I read this book about a year ago. I don't remember a lot of it. But I do remember finding it enjoyable.

message 6: by Bigbuzzard (new)

Bigbuzzard | 2 comments Amazing start to finish

Kamal Yagubov (kamalyag) | 9 comments My favorite series of all time. Last time I read TBC was about 2-3 years ago, so I'll re-read with the group.

Full disclosure to those starting for the first time: this isn't an easy read for some people because Cook throws you in to middle of things (you'll see what I mean). Truck on until you get into the flow, it is most definitely worth the ride.

Seth Skorkowsky | 3 comments Picked this up on Audible about a year ago. Great book and I enjoyed the narration. But I agree the opening does kind of throw you right into the middle of it, and it took me a little bit to really get what was going on. I really dug the nicknames everyone goes by, especially because many of them describe the character without actually having to slow down to describe the character.

Andrew Obrigewitsch (andrewobrige) Beginning can be a bit confusing, but the story is awesome.

Frances | 14 comments For those who've read this before would you recommend getting all three books or just book1? Are all three needed to complete the story?

message 11: by David (new) - added it

David I've only ever seen the 3 book "bundles" available. Like Frances, I'm wondering if I should just pick that one up vs hunting down the individual books.

message 12: by seak (new) - rated it 4 stars

seak | 14 comments Been meaning to read this for a while and I'm looking forward to jumping in.

Chloe | 4 comments I bought all three in a bundle. It took me a while to get into it, but as I'm reading I find myself enjoying it more and more.

message 14: by Lisa (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa (tenaciousreader) | 301 comments Chloe wrote: "I bought all three in a bundle. It took me a while to get into it, but as I'm reading I find myself enjoying it more and more."
That was my experience. It's definitely a book you have to just go with it and wait for everything to start falling into place

message 15: by Joel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joel (deliriumtrigger) | 312 comments Agreeing with the others saying that the series starts slow. My boss picked this up as part of an Audible sale for first-in-series a few months ago, and just started it recently, so I've had this conversation fresh with him. The first while the narrative style takes some getting used to, and you're essentially thrown in head first with no real idea what the hell is happening. As time goes on, this style doesn't change, but the pieces fall into place and you adapt to it. It turns into a really enjoyable book/series...eventually.

message 16: by seak (new) - rated it 4 stars

seak | 14 comments I'll say, having read Malazan, this hasn't been nearly as confusing as I'd expected, though far from crystal clear.

Colby (dobro3) I truly found that these books got better as they went along. I felt as if the voice of the book was that of a "too" smart person who wishes to Lord it over his readers then you find that he really is just an abstract thinker with plenty of dark wisdom.

message 18: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 140 comments This book was one that took me a while to "get into" - I'm not sure if others have had similar issues. That being said, I stuck with it longer than I usually do, and was rewarded with a good read when all was said and done.

message 19: by Scott (new) - added it

Scott Marlowe (scottmarlowe) Great book. I read it way back when, but I've been wanting to revisit it, so why not now?

Xander Bennett | 3 comments Okay, finally started. I had planned to get it once I got my paycheck and there were issues with said paycheck and I forgot until I got a Goodreads email with /r/Fantasy marked on it.

Fact is, I need something decent to read right now.

message 21: by seak (new) - rated it 4 stars

seak | 14 comments Any thoughts about a thread for midway through the book or 1/4 or through a certain chapter so we can help each other gain our feet through the confusion? Plus it may encourage more conversation ...

message 22: by Matt (new) - rated it 3 stars

Matt Hageman I'm at halfway and most of it makes sense, but it would be nice to clear some things up!

Kamal Yagubov (kamalyag) | 9 comments Good idea, I'd be happy to help/clarify anything.

message 24: by Joel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joel (deliriumtrigger) | 312 comments Xander wrote: "Okay, finally started. I had planned to get it once I got my paycheck and there were issues with said paycheck and I forgot until I got a Goodreads email with /r/Fantasy marked on it.

Fact is, I n..."

This is about as good of a choice as you can make :)

message 25: by Jeff (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jeff | 1 comments Almost finished with this book. I found it a nice change from some of the traditional fantasy I enjoy. Really hard to follow in the beginning for me but it got easier and started coming together in chapter 2. I look forward to the next two books in the series.

message 26: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul Turkstra JuSt started and only 30 pages in but I like it so far.

Chloe | 4 comments I'm up to chapter four and I'm quite intrigued by Croaker's fascination with the Lady. I'm wondering what might come from that.

Frances | 14 comments I'm listening to the audio book. Enjoying it so far.