Girl Writers and Readers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Short Story Contest

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Haley (last edited Feb 01, 2015 12:52PM) (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) Hey girls,
Since we all love reading or writing, i have decided to do a writing contest! Each girl can write a short story that has at least 500 words and at most 1,000 words. It can be about anything. Only one story can be put in per person! Thanks and have fun writing!

Rules:
No copying someone else work.
Nothing inappropriate
Have FUN!
All entries must be put in by the end of March

The winner will be able to add one thing to the group. They can add a discussion, a poll, a game, anything they want. But it HAS to BE APPROVED by the mods!
Once again,
Thanks and Have FUN!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Should we post the stories here?

message 3: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) Yes, please post your stories here!

message 4: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) I'm in! This sounds like fun. So, is there a theme or are we just going to write random stories?

message 5: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) You can just write a random story! Just follow the rules!

message 6: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) Okay

message 7: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) :)

message 8: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) If you have any more questions, just ask!

message 9: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) So I have a question. I'm writing a short Valentines story for another contest, and as I don't have much time I was wondering if I could enter that? And if not if I could enter a short story I wrote for yet another contest? Let me know if that's not okay. Thanks! :)

message 10: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) You can use the same one as long as it has not been seen in THIS group before.

message 11: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) Awesome, thanks!!

message 12: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) :) no problem!

message 13: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) (view spoiler)

message 14: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) LOVE it!

message 15: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) Thanks

message 16: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) :) So far you are the only one!

message 17: by Audrey (last edited Feb 17, 2015 08:39AM) (new)

Audrey (audreyelizabook) So, this is actually a rewrite of something I wrote ages ago, but it's written infinitely better. :) Hope you enjoy it!

(view spoiler)

message 18: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) Thanks Sabine and Audrey!

message 19: by beth (new)

beth (beth01) I used this at some point, for my school, I think. But yeah.

[TRIGGER WARNING! This story is pretty dark, and deals with things like depression and sort of suicide. So don't read it if you're not cool with that]

(view spoiler)

message 20: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 7 comments ♆Beth♆♫I яємємвєя ιт αℓℓ тσσ ωєℓℓ♫ wrote: "I used this at some point, for my school, I think. But yeah.

[TRIGGER WARNING! This story is pretty dark, and deals with things like depression and sort of suicide. So don't read it if you're not ..."

Wow! That was a really good story, sad, but good :)
Wouldn't change a thing

message 21: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) Thanks Beth for putting one in!!

message 22: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) Very good!!

message 23: by beth (new)

beth (beth01) Jasmine wrote: "♆Beth♆♫I яємємвєя ιт αℓℓ тσσ ωєℓℓ♫ wrote: "I used this at some point, for my school, I think. But yeah.

[TRIGGER WARNING! This story is pretty dark, and deals with things like depression and sort ..."

Aw, haha, thanks!

message 24: by beth (new)

beth (beth01) Haley(fabulous and crazy at the same time)(Follower of Christ) wrote: "Very good!!"

Haley(fabulous and crazy at the same time)(Follower of Christ) wrote: "Thanks Beth for putting one in!!"

Thank you!

message 25: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) :)

message 26: by Chloe (new)

Chloe | 79 comments A boat, primitive but effective, carried them on a sea of pure cerulean, towards a far off shore. Even from the distance, the people saw a beautiful, lush tree line, so green, it was as though the leaves were emeralds. Not until they stepped onto the blindingly white shore, however, did the sheer beauty of the place hit them. Wildlife rustled in the undergrowth, and birds called in beautiful harmony, as those first, ancient people set foot on that beach. I was certain that, as their guardian angel, I had done the right thing to bring them there from their old life, to this new paradise.
A fire was soon built from the twigs of the huge trees on the island, and there was meat for each of those first ten people. Within a week, there were homes, and they had decided to remain on the island. I was pleased, to say the least. Days stretched to months, months that turned to years, years to centuries, as I watched them populate the island.
Though still bountiful, the place began to wane. Many of the unique animals had been hunted to extinction and many areas had been clear of trees for years. The population continued to flourish as I had hoped, despite these, at the time, very minor setbacks. Even after that, the place was able to support them, but they blindly continued to cut trees and hunt without care. The people of the island soon began to see their resources disappearing entirely. Despite the efforts of the people, the effect snowballed, until there was sparse vegetation and next to no wildlife. Even when they all practically stopped cutting trees, there just weren't enough left to recover the island to the beautiful cornucopia it had once been. I tried to help, but even I cannot achieve the impossible, so the last of the trees disappeared, and the animals died off as well.
Then my help was needed in other ways. People were starving to death, and I had to be there to guide them to the afterlife. I had to make their souls, usually a perfect image of a body at the time of death, presentable even when they began to eat each other in desperation. Having so little to work with, it took up much of my time. Their very bones were cracked open for marrow. Since the foundations of their bodies had been destroyed, I created entirely new appearances for their continued existences.
Watching them turn the incredible land I had given them into a wasteland was hard, perhaps the hardest thing I have done. But still, I tried to gently show them my displeasure, though the survivors ignored me. Survivors is what they had become, ragged and thin, a far cry from how prosperous they once were. Watching them, I waited for the inevitable, for the final blow.
There was not a very long wait. A hurricane swept their island, killing most of them, until only three remained. That three dwindled over the next two years, as the first died from the complications of a broken bone, and finally to one survivor, after he was forced to eat his companion. The time was a deep winter, even less than usual was growing. That previous year, he had gotten through on the meat of the second survivor, but she was gone now. There was no backup, and he was dying, as surely as the sky was blue.
I watched this moment, this final death, as closely as I watched those first steps, and when he gave his final breath, I went to collect him. Throughout those centuries of living there, a paradise was turned into a nightmare, a heaven into a hell. I have come to realized how destructive mankind is, the reason all those unique animals, and now even the people, are gone. Gone because humanity can't think ahead, or problem solve as a society. Gone because they are careless. Gone forever, never to come back. Perhaps that is the future of the entire earth. What if it really is the future of every place, every society? I genuinely think it may be.

message 27: by Chloe (new)

Chloe | 79 comments I'm sorry I didn't put it in a spoiler, but I can't see spoilers from the app, and I wanted to be able to access it.

message 28: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) Thanks for putting in a story!!! That is fine that you didn't do a spoiler!! :)

message 29: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) When is this being judged?

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.