The Sword and Laser discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
What Else Are You Reading? > What COMICS Are You Reading - February 2015

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Louie (last edited Feb 01, 2015 08:33PM) (new)

Louie (rmutt1914) | 878 comments I have these waiting for me at my library-

-Avengers: Time Runs Out, Vol. 1
-Uncanny Avengers, Vol. 5: AXIS Prelude
-Death of Wolverine

EDIT: Forgot to mention, this is also waiting at my library, via the Interlibrary Loan System. Don't remember where I heard about this, but I immediately requested it from my library when I did, and it arrived a few days ago.
-The Planetary Omnibus

And hopefully these arrive before the month is over-

-Amazing X-Men, Vol. 2: World War Wendigo
-Black Science #2
-Inhumanity
-Sex Criminals, Vol. 2: Two Worlds, One Cop
-Low, Vol. 1: The Delirium of Hope

message 2: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6183 comments Death of Wolverine is very short, just 4 issues with a lot of splash pages. There's a lot of extras in the book though.

message 3: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3906 comments Picked up the first two volumes of Bendis' run on the Avengers from the library. There are five. Reading through the Kang/Immortus storyline right now.

message 4: by Jonathon (new)

Jonathon Dez-la-lour (jd2607) | 173 comments Having pretty much caught up on Fables, I'm now beginning on the complete run of Sandman, so far I'm finding it odd and I'm not sure if I like it or not, maybe I'll figure it out by the time I finish the first TPB

message 5: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6740 comments Mod
Since Crunchyroll is now including manga with their base membership I hope to catch up on Attack on Titan this weekend.

I had been caught up to the stuff released in paperback in the US, but like their anime the manga they have comes out here in English shortly after coming out in Japan. So I think there are maybe 8 issue/2 volumes worth for me to read.

Anyone else use Crunchyroll and recommend something else they offer?

message 6: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1541 comments Johnathon,
Keep reading sandman, it gets much better. Most people consider the first trade the weakest of the series. It is a decent introduction to several of the characters, but Neil still hasn't gotten the voice of the characters as locked down as he does later. It's a bit like the Dresden Files that way. Remember this was also still realitvly early in his comic career.

message 7: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3906 comments ^ also there's a companion book which helps you to follow the references.

message 8: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (deifio) | 95 comments If my little baby girl allows it, I will read The Walking Dead, Book Seven, which I got for christmas.

message 9: by Erica (new)

Erica (si1verdrake) | 14 comments Jonathon- I second the rec to continue through Sandman. It takes a little while to find itself, but it's *so good* when it does. (I can't recall whether it's volume 2 or 3, since I splurged on the Absolute set a while back.)

I'm actually looking to start up my pull list again shortly, now that I'm settled and have figured out which local comic shop makes the most sense. Unfortunately, it's not my favorite in the area, but it's still good and a lot closer to work and home. Still haven't narrowed down everything, but what's definitely going on it:

Saga, Lazarus, Bitch Planet, ODY-C, Ms. Marvel, Sandman: Overture, Wicked + Divine, East of West, Sex Criminals.
Basically, Image Comics owns my soul right now.

message 10: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8288 comments Fiona wrote: "If my little baby girl allows it, I will read The Walking Dead, Book Seven, which I got for christmas."

Kids are always the harshest audiences.

message 11: by Sky (new)

Sky | 665 comments Trike wrote: "Fiona wrote: "If my little baby girl allows it, I will read The Walking Dead, Book Seven, which I got for christmas."

Kids are always the harshest audiences."

hahaha

message 12: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (deifio) | 95 comments Well, it's not easy to find the time to reas. Usually I'm sad that Comics make such a short reas. Now with a little baby I suddently am glad that they are so short and easy to put down and pick up again!

message 13: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3906 comments Working through some scattered Ultimates from my library. Interesting enough, but weird. President Cap? Thor had a son with Hela? Tony's intelligent brain tumor? Although the visual on Nick Fury was funny. Yep, that was the original Nick, before the parody "Nick Fury Agent of SHAFT" gave Bendis et al some ideas.

message 14: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2287 comments Just read the comic book adaptation (collected in hardcover) of Harlan Ellison's original teleplay for Star Trek: City on the Edge of Forever. Terrific art by J.K. Woodward!

message 15: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Rob wrote: "Anyone else use Crunchyroll and recommend something else they offer?

Of the Sci-fi type stuff, the best is Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer, which I guess could be described as the manga version of Watchmen -- there's a team of superheroes who are fighting against a wizard who's going to destroy the world (with a giant mallet that can smash the Earth to pieces like a biscuit), but unbeknownst to them, their leader only wants to stop him because she's secretly planning to destroy the world herself, and she won't let anyone else do it first.

There's also Inside Mari, which is ostensibly a body-swap story, but the author keeps toying with the idea that the main character has multiple personalities, so it's not clear if it's actually science fiction or not.

On the horror side, As the God's Will is fun and stupid. It's a sequel (or really side-quel) to an earlier series, but it's not necessary to have read it.

But the best thing on Crunchyroll isn't SF in any way shape or form. A Silent Voice is a straightforward drama about a kid who bullied a deaf girl in elementary school and tries to make amends to her as he grows older and realizes what an asshole he used to be.

message 16: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Thanks Sean.

message 17: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3906 comments A few weeks ago I noticed that my library had the collected Age of Apocalypse storyline. I'd largely missed that one during my comics reading days but had heard good things about it. Next thing I noticed was that books 3 and 4 (of 4) were on the shelf but not 1 and 2 - those were checked out. So I put a request in on them and they have just come in. I'm excited to read it!

Sing it with me, 70s style! This is the dawning of the Age of Apocalypse, Age of Apocalypse...AAAA POKKKK AAAA LIIIIPS!

message 18: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8288 comments You're a dork. I like that.

message 19: by Rik (last edited Feb 12, 2015 08:37PM) (new)

Rik | 777 comments I tried out the new Star Wars and Darth Vader series from Marvel and I'm very conflicted. They are well told with great art and should be great but I find I can't care because of how limited they are since we already know how the story ends. For those not aware they are set in canon right after the events of the first Star Wars movie where Luke blows up the Death Star. Because its canon and locked into that time frame we know 100% that no major character is in peril or will have anything significant happen to them in any way since they all have to end up with the status quo that exists in Empire. As such its hard to care despite the quality of writing and art. I'd much prefer something set in the KOTOR era (4000 years earlier) or set after the events of Return of the Jedi but before the new movie. The latter is especially fertile territory and they could actually do some signficant stuff, especially if they coordinated with the movie people enough that things mesh without being spoilerish. The new movie is set 30 years later so imagine a comic series that is just 15 years after Jedi that hints at things to come.

message 20: by Jonathon (new)

Jonathon Dez-la-lour (jd2607) | 173 comments Rik, I think that the plan so far is for the books and comics to fill in the gaps between films and trilogies until the new films start coming out so that they can avoid contradictions and reduce the risk of details being leaked about the new stuff. I suppose this is what happens when you decide all of the books and comics are the same level of canon as the films/TV shows, you have to be much more careful about what gets published

message 21: by Rod (last edited Feb 13, 2015 03:07AM) (new)

Rod (terez07) | 97 comments My favorite comic book publisher right now is Valiant Comics. They focus on telling terrific stories featuring some of the most gorgeous art in the industry.

From them, I'm enjoying:

X-O Manowar, Vol 1 By The Sword by Robert Venditti Harbinger, Vol 1 Omega Rising by Joshua Dysart

Bloodshot, Vol 1 Setting the World on Fire by Duane Swierczynski Divinity #1 by Matt Kindt

Unity, Vol 1 To Kill a King by Matt Kindt

I highly recommend this publisher to anyone - especially those looking for more creative storytelling than what can be found at Marvel and DC Comics right now.

message 22: by Rod (new)

Rod (terez07) | 97 comments Mark wrote: "Just read the comic book adaptation (collected in hardcover) of Harlan Ellison's original teleplay for Star Trek: City on the Edge of Forever. Terrific art by J.K. Woodward!"

This looks sensational! Thanks for the recommendation.

message 23: by Bill (new)

Bill | 8 comments I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Wytches yet. Really, really good. On the Star Wars comments, I'll take any opportunity to go back into that world, so I guess I'm the target audience!

message 24: by Adelaide (new)

Adelaide Blair I'm finishing up Locke and Key. So good.

message 25: by Aildiin (new)

Aildiin | 148 comments Just finished Uncanny Avengers Omnibus,
it was decent but not as good as his Uncanny X-Force.

message 26: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 1 comments Civil War by Mark Millar and the Iron Man one co-written by Christos Gage. Also, re-reading Fables in the deluxe edition hardbacks from the library.

message 27: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3906 comments Kelly wrote: "Also, re-reading Fables in the deluxe edition hardbacks from the library."

Are those awesome or what? I went ahead with the more recent trades and they tell the story fine, but wow the artwork in the deluxe editions...

message 28: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8288 comments The Autumnlands by Kurt Busiek and Ben Dewey (Image Comcis) has really kicked into high gear with issue 3. I already liked it, but now I'm hooked.

message 29: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 701 comments With the announcement of Stjepan Šejić as the new artist on Rat Queens, Vol. 1: Sass & Sorcery (since the other one got arrested for spousal abuse :/ ) I've been checking out his stuff and so far I'm really enjoying Death Vigil #1. The man draws very expressive faces. And for something completely different (and NSFW): Sunstone is very good too.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2844 comments I just finished Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: No Normal by G. Willow Wilson. My review is here. I should say I don't typically read superheroes, so this one actually got me in that door.

message 31: by Aildiin (new)

Aildiin | 148 comments Just started The Planetary Omnibus.

message 32: by Louie (new)

Louie (rmutt1914) | 878 comments Aildiin wrote: "Just started The Planetary Omnibus."

It is quite the tale. I kinda want to experience that universe just a bit more.

message 33: by Tamahome (last edited Feb 23, 2015 02:47PM) (new)

Tamahome | 6183 comments Warren Ellis I don't get. :p

Somehow Brian K. Vaughan and Mark Millar push my buttons more. Maybe it's a pop culture thing.

message 34: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1541 comments I loved Planetary, read it about a year ago on comixology when they had a big sale. Aildiin, knowing your other likes, I think this should be right up you alley. This is also one of the things that made people fall in love with Cassiday (sp).

message 35: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6183 comments The Joss Whedon/Cassiday Astonishing X-men was awesome.

message 36: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2253 comments I'm making my way through the first few Gotham Central collections. Did not initially realize (until, based on some bits in the narrative, which drove me to check the copyright page) that they're actually 10+ years old at this point. Good, gritty criminal stuff.

I also need to pick up the 4th Nova collection one of these days.

message 37: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3906 comments Finished up the Age of Apocalypse books. Didn't particularly love them, actually. I'm not sure why this storyline is so well liked. I did enjoy Magneto as the doting dad.

Moving on to a hardcover of Days of Future Past. It's got a lot of Fantastic Four / Franklin Richards stuff in it. I read most of these as they came out but thought the X-Men side of it was longer.

message 38: by David (new)

David (dbigwood) Working my way through the Archie Humble bundle. I'm currently reading Archie: the Married Life. Pretty good storys; there is a Betty story and a Veronica story. Plenty left in the bundle. I've read the zombie stories, the death story and the single issue comics.

message 39: by Louie (new)

Louie (rmutt1914) | 878 comments John (Taloni) wrote: "Moving on to a hardcover of Days of Future Past."

I wouldn't bother. The original X-Men story is only TWO issues long. The rest of that collection deals with tangential plot lines to the events in the X-Men issues. And weren't all that interesting, if you ask me.

message 40: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6183 comments Chris Claremont ftw.

message 41: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3906 comments ^ Yeah, Louie, I'm most of the way through and going "huh?" I'm continuing mainly for the comics history. Also, after reading several hardcovers of the "Unlighted" oh I mean "Ultimates" line, it's nice to see some color in the old style. I dunno why new comics have to be gritty and dark and pretty much impossible to make out the artwork.

As for "Days," they did it better in the animated show.

message 42: by Louie (new)

Louie (rmutt1914) | 878 comments John (Taloni) wrote: "I'm continuing mainly for the comics history."

That's the only reason why I finished it. And I can say the same for Inhumans: The Origin of the Inhumans, which I recently slogged my way through.

I've been meaning to re-watch the '90s X-Men animated show, Batman: The Animated Series, as well.

message 43: by Aildiin (new)

Aildiin | 148 comments I took a break from Planetary to read Sex Criminals, Vol. 2: Two Worlds, One Cop and it is as good as the first volume. Second best ongoing comic after Saga for me !

message 44: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Finally got my hands on Saga, Volume 4 (My Review)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.