Books2Movies Club discussion

Bridget Jones's Diary
This topic is about Bridget Jones's Diary
Monthly Reads > Bridget Jones's Diary - The book and the movie

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Zeljka (ztook) | 2937 comments Mod
Helen Fielding's devastatingly self-aware, laugh-out-loud account of a year in the life of a thirty-something Singleton launched a genre and transcended the pages of fiction to become a cultural icon.

That's from this edition's blurb. I think it says more than enough! If you have read it and seen the movie, please share your laughs and insights with us, and if you haven't, oh, well, please do so, I believe it'll make an enjoyable retreat from your everyday life.

Charity | 10 comments Not a bad list of do's and do not s.

message 3: by Alana (new) - added it

Alana (alanasbooks) | 730 comments Wait, I didn't even realize this was a book? I thought it was just a modern retelling of Pride & Prejudice? Lol, shows you how much I know...

Zeljka (ztook) | 2937 comments Mod
Alana wrote: "Wait, I didn't even realize this was a book? I thought it was just a modern retelling of Pride & Prejudice? Lol, shows you how much I know..."

Lol well it was really long ago that the book came out :) Yes, I think she intended to make it that way, like P&P although a bit different. The character of Bridget wasn't that likable as I hoped so - aside her bad habits, she was too obsessed with her weight and too silly for someone supposedly working in the publishing business.
I read it few days ago and I still do not understand quite that notion that one has to force the character into embarrassing situations to gain supposedly comic effects. I just felt awkward imagining such things really happening - and I couldn't, because, well, situations were weird for me.
The same happened with the movie. Too many awkward, dumb, and unrealistic situations, not to mention thing with Renee's weight - why they obsessed about her weight, when she in my opinion looks so gorgeous in this movie? I still liked the movie because it didn't take itself so serious, and the actors, main and supporting as well, were really charming.