What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Young adult kept by invading enemy but escapes in wagon of hay, but gets speared with pitchfork

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (Gypsysoul70) | 3 comments Need help, read book in 80s, book is teen/young adult. Historical fiction about a young boy who is taken in by the enemy and kept as a friend for their son or daughter? Lives in a big house but kept captive, manages to escape one day in a wagon of hay/straw, but they spear the wagon with a pitchfork and he is hurt. Can't remember anything else, thought the name "red riders" comes to mind. I loved midnight is a place and this is of the same genre. Any help appreciated.

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Feb 01, 2015 01:17PM) (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Melanie, I've moved your thread down to Unsolved for you. You'll get more traffic down there.

You have a very nice description going, I just wanted to compliment you on it. The only thing you didn't cover (and, with up to 35 years passing since your read it that's understandable) but I thought I'd ask anyway is--do you remember anything about the cover? Oh, and do you remember why they were "enemies"?

message 3: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4967 comments Do you remember the time period?
Location story takes place?

message 4: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (Gypsysoul70) | 3 comments Thank you for your assistance, I want to say that the story was set in a foreign land and that the "enemy" may have been due to a either a war, and the boy was a prisoner of war or it was a civil war. I remember that when he escaped in the hay cart it was a terribly stormy night which muffled his scream. So bloody annoying to remember snippets of a story with such precision but not the title. Oh, and I am English so it may have been an English children's author...?

message 5: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (Gypsysoul70) | 3 comments I remember that maybe the people chasing the boy were called "red riders", have googled this term to death searching for significance.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38140 comments Mod
Melanie, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38140 comments Mod
Lobstergirl wrote: "Melanie, are you still looking for this or did you find it?"

No response in 2 years. Moving to Abandoned.