100 Books Challenge discussion

Emma
This topic is about Emma
Past Group Reads - 2015-2016 > 2015 Group Read for February - Emma

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Martha (last edited Feb 13, 2015 01:30AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Martha (marthas48) | 860 comments Mod
This thread is for discussion of the February group read of Emma by Jane Austen that is scheduled to begin on February 20 and end on March 19. You may read Emma at any time and the thread will remain open.

The thread is now open for discussion.

Is this your first read of Emma?

Is this your first book by Jane Austen?

What do you like (or love) about Austen's characters?

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 414 comments I read Emma a couple of years ago. Here are some of my thoughts from my full review.

Emma Woodhouse is one of the most exasperating lead characters in the English cannon, but I love her.

Emma is decidedly blind to the realities of Miss Smith’s situation, as well as her own, Frank Churchill’s, and just about everyone else in her circle. Her actions taken as a result of misinterpreting many social cues, result in more than a little disappointment. Not to worry – this is Jane Austen, after all. Everyone will be happy in the end.

I like Emma, the novel, though I am less enthralled with Emma, the character. To me, she behaves in an infuriatingly superior manner towards everyone. Once I have reminded myself of the very different social norms of Austen’s time, I see that Emma is merely a product of her situation and social class. Her final realizations, slow as they are to come, are all the more rewarding.

Link to my full review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 4: by Book Concierge (last edited Feb 15, 2015 02:26PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 414 comments Martha wrote: "Is this your first read of Emma?

Is this your first book by Jane Austen?

What do you like (or love) about Austen's characters?"

It was my first read of EMMA, but not my first Austen. I haven't read all of them (yet), but so far my favorite is Sense and Sensibility.

I have to say I really "love to hate" the self-important busy-bodies that Austen writes into her novels. Mrs Elton, in EMMA is a perfect example!

I read Emma about 2 1/2 years ago for the first (& only) time, but not the last. I've read Pride & Prejudice which I loved and Persuasion. All 3 of these are wonderful. I've also read Northanger Abbey, but didn't like it as much. Another lesser known one is Lady Susan which I liked. P&P, Persuasion & Emma are all favorites. Her writing is exquisite and definitely worth re-reads.

JA is not my favorite author, but she is one of them.

The first time I read P&P I hated Mr. Collins and dreaded his appearances. On subsequent reads I have grown to love the sections in which he appears, laughing out loud sometimes at his dreadful manners.

message 6: by Book Concierge (last edited Feb 20, 2015 12:05PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 414 comments By the way ... Alexander McCall Smith (who writes the very popular No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series) has taken on the task of writing a modern retelling of EMMA -
Emma (The Austen Project) by Alexander McCall Smith

This is part of THE AUSTEN PROJECT which teams current day well-known authors with one of Austen's novels and asks the author to reimagine/retell the tale.
Joanna Trollope did the first one in 2013 .... Sense & Sensibility (The Austen Project) by Joanna Trollope .

I believe Pride and Prejudice will be released later this year.

Giovanna Bias | 14 comments I just finished reading Emma and I loved the book. I always love reading any book by Jane Austin and can't wait to read the rest.
This is actually the 3rd book I have read by Jane Austin and I really lover her writing and the strong female characters in her novels.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 414 comments Here's my take on the "Modern retelling"
Emma A Modern Retelling (The Austen Project, #3) by Alexander McCall Smith Emma: A Modern Retelling by Alexander McCall Smith – 3***
Mini Coopers replace carriages, and cappuccinos take the place of tea, but the characters, relationships and basic scenarios remain the same. I enjoyed this light romantic comedy, but it is not as good as the original.
Link to my full review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...